Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

aftermarket surfgate

duckhunter1

36 minutes ago, EchelonMike said:

This is one of my favorite threads in years on the forum.  Very cool mix of ideas and designs and everyone sharing what worked best.  Awesome.  You all inspired me into action:  I ordered the aluminum suction cup from Amazon, and it arrives today, and my wife seems to be missing several of her favorite cutting boards from the kitchen!  :-)

It's a freakish monster. Bigger and I would say at least 2x stronger. It's also super firm. If you can get it to stick it won't come off. 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

It's a freakish monster. Bigger and I would say at least 2x stronger. It's also super firm. If you can get it to stick it won't come off. 

I get my aluminum one today... should I still even test with the HOD with removing the wax? Or just swap out the HOD for the aluminum?  Hate to remove the wax and didnt need to.  My boat sits on the lift. 

Edited by CFH
8 minutes ago, CFH said:

I get my aluminum one today... should I still even test with the HOD and removing the wax? Or just swap the handles and test?  Hate to remove the wax and didnt need to.  My boat sits on the lift. 

This is just my personal opinion since I work from home and lurk the forum all day long. But I have had all three handles in my hands and will have them all tested in the water by 9pm tonight. I WOULD NOT bugger with the HOD unless where you plan to attach is really curved. Case in point: You have a VLX, but I dont know what year. In my 05 (05-08 hull) there is a lower portion of the hull and an upper portion. The suction gate works on both, but works best (less spray and better wave) in the lower portion. The aluminum is so stiff I am not 100% sure you can apply it to the lower, but you can with the HOD (in my case it fell off in 3 minutes) you SHOULD be able to attach it to the upper portion of the hull with the aluminum though.

I am guessing (and I have been wrong once in this thread already) that the harbor freight will be the best mix of suction and flexibility, but if you get that aluminum one to stick where you want it to you could probably lift the boat up with 4 of them. I am off the HOD, wax or no wax it's too flexible. I will try to take a video.

EDIT: I didn't fully answer, IMO the aluminum should be better even if you can only attach it to the upper portion of your hull. When attaching to really curved surfaces you need to use your fingers in a circle to get it to shut. Can be tricky.

Edited by 95echelon
5 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

This is just my personal opinion since I work from home and lurk the forum all day long. But I have had all three handles in my hands and will have them all tested in the water by 9pm tonight. I WOULD NOT bugger with the HOD unless where you plan to attach is really curved. Case in point: You have a VLX, but I dont know what year. In my 05 (05-08 hull) there is a lower portion of the hull and an upper portion. The suction gate works on both, but works best (less spray and better wave) in the lower portion. The aluminum is so stiff I am not 100% sure you can apply it to the lower, but you can with the HOD (in my case it fell off in 3 minutes) you SHOULD be able to attach it to the upper portion of the hull with the aluminum though.

I am guessing (and I have been wrong once in this thread already) that the harbor freight will be the best mix of suction and flexibility, but if you get that aluminum one to stick where you want it to you could probably lift the boat up with 4 of them. I am off the HOD, wax or no wax it's too flexible. I will try to take a video.

I have an 01 vlx... theirs no curve at all where I will place the handle, but I guess since its already put together Ill try removing the wax real quick and just give it a go. If it doesnt work Ill just disassemble and use the aluminum one.  Great info bud! I also thought about drilling some holes on the lower end points of the paddle just how the delta has some open holes....

Edited by CFH
4 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

Out of curiosity... Has anyone tried running one on the lower portion and the upper portion at the same time? I am on my third gen build of a homemade surfgate and each time I build it to displace more and more water. Each time it has gotten better and better. So it makes me wonder how the suckgates would do if they displaced even more. I know there is a few of you in this thread that have a couple suckgate versions and I would love to see results!

Just now, CFH said:

I have an 01 vlx... theirs no curve at all where I will place the handle, but I guess since its already put together Ill try removing the wax real quick and just give it a go. If it doesnt work Ill just disassemble and use the aluminum one.  Great info bud! I also thought about drilling some holes on the lower end points of the paddle just how the delta has some open holes....

I didn't need to drill holes. If you place it low on the hull the spray is extremely minimal, actually much less than the surf gate equipped axis I was surfing next to. One negative of the aluminum handle is that it is larger than the HOD so a bit harder to switch out. The HOD and the harbor freight are the same size. Where are you in MI? I am driving across the lower part of the state this weekend. I could maybe bring you a harbor freight handle if there isnt a store near you. Private message me if that's the case.

Just now, 95echelon said:

I didn't need to drill holes. If you place it low on the hull the spray is extremely minimal, actually much less than the surf gate equipped axis I was surfing next to. One negative of the aluminum handle is that it is larger than the HOD so a bit harder to switch out. The HOD and the harbor freight are the same size. Where are you in MI? I am driving across the lower part of the state this weekend. I could maybe bring you a harbor freight handle if there isnt a store near you. Private message me if that's the case.

Ill pm you!

Just now, theGrant said:

Out of curiosity... Has anyone tried running one on the lower portion and the upper portion at the same time? I am on my third gen build of a homemade surfgate and each time I build it to displace more and more water. Each time it has gotten better and better. So it makes me wonder how the suckgates would do if they displaced even more. I know there is a few of you in this thread that have a couple suckgate versions and I would love to see results!

I have an extra piece of board. With this PCV vinyl it takes me literally 10 minutes to build one. I will try this tonight. I want a backup anyhow.

2004 LSV, has the jog in the hull.

Above the jog there is more spray but the wave seems to have better push.  Below the jog the spray goes away but so does some of the push.  Plan on building a new face board this weekend to play around with it.     

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Cayute said:

just got my delta today supposed to be ugly this weekend but going to try to get out this weekend!  Very surprised at how small it is but the suction holds like crazy, can rock the whole trailer with it on boat. 

image_zpsgumrvj4j.jpg

More pics, please? From a few angles?

• Like 3
2 hours ago, EchelonMike said:

This is one of my favorite threads in years on the forum.  Very cool mix of ideas and designs and everyone sharing what worked best.  Awesome.  You all inspired me into action:  I ordered the aluminum suction cup from Amazon, and it arrives today, and my wife seems to be missing several of her favorite cutting boards from the kitchen!  :-)

You might want to hide the frying pan too in case she catches you hacking up her cutting boards! haha

• Like 1

Got my mission yesterday and all I can say is wow.  Came with gate, leash, allen wrench, carrying bag, koozie and some instructions.  I was a little skeptical on how hard it would be to dial the boat in but it was pretty darn simple.  Filled my factory ballast and my two 750's full.  It was just me and a friend in the boat we started to fill the bow bag but eventually ended up draining it.  We found the wedge 3 clicks up was a good spot to get some height out of the wave, also the wave was way longer than listing the boat.  I could get push all the way out on my surf rope and I was recovering way further back than I was able to before. Also pretty much anywhere below the waterline and as far back as you could get the thing to stick would work for the "sweet spot".  Another observation I have a friend who has a wicked wakesurf device and it makes the boat very hard to turn, with this thing on you get no ill effects on steering.  Had a blast surfing and was very nice since he rides regular and I ride goofy so I only got a couple of pics of him riding.  He has a surfgate Axis and he even commented you cannot tell the thing is out there, not like when surfgate deploys.  I will get some pics and videos up hopefully tomorrow afternoon.  I ordered on 5/4 for anyone who has ordered and wants to know.  

• Like 3

Aluminum suction mount arrived today from Amazon.  A few pics to help anyone with build ideas.

I think I am going to try and slide a dowel into the hollow handle and make my whole paddle assembly mount on one end, so I can still grip the handle easily.  Drill into the wood dowel and then through the lower aluminum mount.  Will experiment on my lunchtime trip to Home Depot.  :-)

On glass, it takes serious force on the tabs to "lock" the suction cups.  This will take serious force to move if you have a smooth mounting area - which I think I do on the '05 VLX.

-- Mike

suction3.jpg.597a5a6a31efec9cddae05bbff4suction1.thumb.jpg.7a52d2140eb1eda224f11suction2.jpg.b7343c4f70411dc036643d383ba

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jb 156 said:

Got my mission yesterday and all I can say is wow.  Came with gate, leash, allen wrench, carrying bag, koozie and some instructions.  

What do the instructions say?

Edited by Chatty21VLX
Spelling

Just about to pull the trigger and order the aluminum cups. Maybe I missed it in the post, but can anyone confirm this will work with the 08 VLX wake hull since it is not as flexible as the HOD?

21 minutes ago, theGrant said:

Just about to pull the trigger and order the aluminum cups. Maybe I missed it in the post, but can anyone confirm this will work with the 08 VLX wake hull since it is not as flexible as the HOD?

Give me about 6 hours and I can!

• Like 2

Can someone with both the hod and the aluminum handles post the width measurement of the handles? 

I currently have the hod, but want to mount my gussets at a width that would allow mounting on either handle. 

6 minutes ago, Chatty21VLX said:

Can someone with both the hod and the aluminum handles post the width measurement of the handles? 

I currently have the hod, but want to mount my gussets at a width that would allow mounting on either handle. 

HOD is 1.5, Aluminum is 1.25 (a tiny bit bigger in one spot). My device is 1.5 and fits both. Aluminum is slightly longer where the handle is (where you hold it) 3 7/8 vs 3 3/4 for the HOD. If that makes any sense. Harbor freight and HOD are essentially the same size  

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

HOD is 1.5, Aluminum is 1.25 (a tiny bit bigger in one spot). My device is 1.5 and fits both. Aluminum is slightly longer where the handle is (where you hold it) 3 7/8 vs 3 3/4 for the HOD. If that makes any sense. Harbor freight and HOD are essentially the same size  

Should be a easy swap then, the rubber on the aluminum one looks bigger too in the pictures of them. 

Took my Malibu out for a shake down and to test out my suck gate(SkG).

IT WORKS!!  

This is what I have. 

2007 VTX.  Just me in the boat.

11.0 MPH was the speed that gave the best shape.

750# sac / 250# hard tank on starboard side

400# / 300# sac on port side.  ballast pump died so, I couldn't fill it up.

Wedge down seemed to wash out the wake.  Wedge up cleaned it up.

Not bad for a small boat and only one person inside.  I will play around with it next week.

1.  Loaded no SkG

IMG_3864_zpsih9zcxmh.jpg

2. SkG Goofy side

IMG_3870_zps3vqk9b41.jpg

3. Skg Regular side

IMG_3872_zps1fh9zd3k.jpg

4.  Here is the best shape I got.  750# starboard, 400# port, 300# bow, no wedge.  SkG on port side

IMG_3874_zpshzya8fp1.jpg

Edited by Clutch-n-Throttle
2 hours ago, Clutch-n-Throttle said:

Took my Malibu out for a shake down and to test out my suck gate(SkG).

IT WORKS!!  

This is what I have. 

2007 VTX.  Just me in the boat.

11.0 MPH was the speed that gave the best shape.

750# sac / 250# hard tank on starboard side

400# / 300# sac on port side.  ballast pump died so, I couldn't fill it up.

Wedge down seemed to wash out the wake.  Wedge up cleaned it up.

Not bad for a small boat and only one person inside.  I will play around with it next week.

1.  Loaded no SkG

IMG_3864_zpsih9zcxmh.jpg

2. SkG Goofy side

IMG_3870_zps3vqk9b41.jpg

3. Skg Regular side

IMG_3872_zps1fh9zd3k.jpg

4.  Here is the best shape I got.  750# starboard, 400# port, 300# bow, no wedge.  SkG on port side

IMG_3874_zpshzya8fp1.jpg

That last wave is really nice!  No wedge you say???  I bet your wave would be even better if you work the wedge into the equation.......

• Like 1
6 hours ago, theGrant said:

Both the harbor freight and the aluminum handle work on the upper and lower of the 05-08 hull. We have been surfing 2 hours and the harbor freight hasn't budged. 

22 minutes ago, Sixer said:

That last wave is really nice!  No wedge you say???  I bet your wave would be even better if you work the wedge into the equation.......

I'll try that next week