Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

aftermarket surfgate

duckhunter1

51 minutes ago, Bu hoo said:

So awesome, man!  I just see a guy having great time on his boat.  I love it!

And a wife taking a roller over the bow?    Ha ha.   95 you have the same reaction and excitement as I did when I first tried mine.  I was like a kid at Christmas!!!!

NCVride, take it you have a vride. Do you have any pics of placement on your boat? I'm going to make one this weekend and give it a try. I only have 400 in each rear locker factory belly tank and no wedge. Think I'm going to buy a 750 for surf side.

What are you guys running for RPM with these things?

Before ~2400 rpm for surfing

After ~3200 rpm for surfing

I seem to have jumped a 700-900 RPMs with my wake shaper on vs. without... seems like a LOT

20 hours ago, sheepdog566 said:

NCVride, take it you have a vride. Do you have any pics of placement on your boat? I'm going to make one this weekend and give it a try. I only have 400 in each rear locker factory belly tank and no wedge. Think I'm going to buy a 750 for surf side.

Hopefully you can see where I put it in the pic.  I literally put it as far down on the hull and as far towards the back as I can get it.

I would suggest trying it out with both your 400's full and the midship ballast full.  You may find you don't want/need the extra weight.  If you do add weight I'm not sure how listing will effect the gate. 

6 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

I seem to have jumped a 700-900 RPMs with my wake shaper on vs. without... seems like a LOT

with the gates or shapers the idea is to fill all your ballast and let the device shape your wake instead of listing.   If you are filling all your ballast then that you have more weight.  More weight = higher RPMs

with the gates or shapers the idea is to fill all your ballast and let the device shape your wake instead of listing.   If you are filling all your ballast then that you have more weight.  More weight = higher RPMs

I understand that logic but when I was listing the boat I was running the same or less weight even.  Listed setup for me was ~1100 lbs rear corner, mid and front full + wedge.  Surfgate setup is ~650 per locker + mid + front + wedge ... so maybe only a couple hundred pounds more... basically an extra person, still seems a bit much.

@TimbrSS - Any pics/videos/updates from your surfgates? Your setup looks super easy and cheap to make and was wondering if you're having any success with the waves.

19 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

I don't remember what it was before the gates but 3200 is about what I'm running now at 10.5 mph.  Monsoon 340 with 537 prop.

2 hours ago, lukehartwig said:

@TimbrSS - Any pics/videos/updates from your surfgates? Your setup looks super easy and cheap to make and was wondering if you're having any success with the waves.

It seems that the concept definitely works, but the weak link appears to be the suction cups.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

4 hours ago, lukehartwig said:

Those weren't mine, just some pics I saw on Facebook. I just posted cause it looked like a quick and easy build. I think it was on an older mastercraft, and pics of the wave looked pretty good.

5 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

I understand that logic but when I was listing the boat I was running the same or less weight even.  Listed setup for me was ~1100 lbs rear corner, mid and front full + wedge.  Surfgate setup is ~650 per locker + mid + front + wedge ... so maybe only a couple hundred pounds more... basically an extra person, still seems a bit much.

Maybe because more of the hull is deeper in the water?   Idk.  I didn't even notice the RPM difference over the kick a** difference in the wake!!!!!

Just finished building my suckgate. Just need some weather to try it.

30ixqv6.jpg

29llbg7.jpg

NCVride...are you attached to lower step of hull like my pic, or are you up around the boat letters?

Just a heads up it appears over on the Mastercraft forum that the HoD handle doesn't last very long. Apparently it's a thin rubber and wears out. Looks like amazon's aluminum handle holds up better. Their crapgate thread is on pg93, a lot of info there. 

Suction cups seem to be working great for me. When I assembled it I was smacking the carriage bolts threw and accidentally hit the handle for one of the suction cups and broke it. Well I epoxied it back together and worked for a few days. Went out tonight and it broke conpletley off and gate stayed in place with just one suction cup

1 hour ago, sheepdog566 said:

Just finished building my suckgate. Just need some weather to try it.

30ixqv6.jpg

29llbg7.jpg

NCVride...are you attached to lower step of hull like my pic, or are you up around the boat letters?

mine is on the lower.  From what I see in that pic, you've got it about right. 

If this works I'm going to be ecstatic. Only into the build about 40 bucks. Found a company local who sells 3/4 hdpe only paid 15 bucks 

My Mission delta is on the way!! I got an email that the first batch are shipping June 13-17 so I'll have mine hopefully within the week.

ill post pics and a review once I have it. I know...its a lot more $$ than a DIY but this spring/summer has been crazy with work and an old jeep rebuild (that was supposed to be done by April and still persists).

interascol also sent me his swim platform gates that I'll get this weekend. Between these two options I am confident I'll be surfing behind my Lxi before the July 4 holiday!!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, hunter77ah said:

Can you post a link to the cups you are using?

The most liked handle seems to be (carried in all harbor freight stores): http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-cup-suction-lifter-46134.html

image_25540.jpg

I have had bad luck with the black HOD as well as some others on this and the MC forum but here it is: https://amzn.com/B001PBQ9K8

41GXI5GTNXL._AC_UL115_.jpg

One forum member stated good results with this aluminum handle (I have one on order and will test sunday): https://amzn.com/B007VL3CB0

EDIT: Just received this handle and WOW what a difference. It WILL be harder to attach to curves, but it can be done - i tested on the quarter panel of my car. Once you attach this to something it doesn't come off at all. I just put it on my dining table with 2 slabs of 4x4 foot marble on it and it can easily pick one of those up without budging a millimeter. Really amazing difference.

31n6Mt3CtSL.jpg

I got PVC vinyl siding from home depot for the plastic portion, others have used wood, others HDPE, and others are much more creative. I have had great luck with a 7x9" panel. When I made a version for the swim platform it needed to be MUCH larger. I think the hull is the best spot for placement.

Edited by 95echelon

@95echelon, thanks for the summary. I was trying to put all of this together in my head. I was also curious about the Aluminum handle. Let us know how it works out for you. My concern was how easy it would be to mod if you needed (i.e. drill through it if necessary).

11 hours ago, sheepdog566 said:

If this works I'm going to be ecstatic. Only into the build about 40 bucks. Found a company local who sells 3/4 hdpe only paid 15 bucks 

For reference what kind of company?

27 minutes ago, 95echelon said:

For reference what kind of company?

Plastics reseller. Google "hdpe grand rapids" or whatever city your in. Their everywhere.

I just got done making mine...  Turned out great but the real test will be tonight when we give it a go.  Its a 7x9 paddle and the HOD handle.  I did mod the handle though by adding a small spacer where the suction lift part is, which you can see in the last pic.  Give it a little more suction.  I also have the aluminum one off amazon on order which will be here Friday. 

20160615_145134_1466017925910.jpg

20160615_145128.jpg

20160615_143857_1466017926108.jpg

20160615_145158_1466017925406.jpg

I'm building a suck gate and was wondering what size you guys are making the delta/paddle. I building the delta out of teak, once its finished I'm going to post some pics. It coming along awesome.

Edited by Arctic Slalom

Well, tied it out last night... after 1min it popped off.  Didnt try again after because we were short on time and wanted to get right into surfing.  The wave was VERY clean and looked great! I think the issues was that I didnt remove the wax from the side of the boat... so I'll do that tonight after work with some alcohol.  If that doesnt work ill try a different suction handle, really want this to work.  Im using the wicked wake gates right now and they do a fantastic job but they just take up too much room in the boat. 

15 hours ago, Arctic Slalom said:

I'm building a suck gate and was wondering what size you guys are making the delta/paddle. I building the delta out of teak, once its finished I'm going to post some pics. It coming along awesome.

Go with a 7 x 9 paddle.

Edited by CFH
  • Like 2

just got my delta today supposed to be ugly this weekend but going to try to get out this weekend!  Very surprised at how small it is but the suction holds like crazy, can rock the whole trailer with it on boat. 

image_zpsgumrvj4j.jpg

• Like 3