Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

aftermarket surfgate

duckhunter1

Guy who made it lives in MN so I shot him an email asking if I could just come pick mine(Standard Mission System) up father than having him ship it. When I went to pick it up, he was super cool, showed me his shop, etc. I wouldnt have any problem doing business with him again.  If he doesnt give you a group buy discount, Id be surprised.  

Anyone know if any of the  original panels will work for a MXZ? I kinda like the ones that attach the the swim deck better than the suction cup design. 

I had made a set of wicked wake style gates for my sunsetter out of 3/4 inch hdpe, but I really like the looks of the single shaper for both sides that doesn't require the Velcro and such.  I'll definitely be paying attention here to see if 95echelon gets anything worked out on a group buy.  just about ordered one but figured I better wait to see if anything gets worked out

I wonder how it would work on my '03 LSV (has the notched transom). I'm thinking the notch wouldn't matter, just place the delta further forward

• Like 1

+1 on the group buy. Will watch here to see what comes up on that front and someone actually using it. It looks like the best one I've seen yet.

On 5/5/2016 at 11:29 PM, 95echelon said:

I just emailed them to see if they were interested, I will report back.

Sorry everyone, they don't want to do a group buy at this time. They said maybe when the product matures. I'm likely to buy one and report back, the June ship date worries me. Too late in june and I lose half the summer.

So I plan on giving this the ol DIY try this weekend.  Picked up a double suction cup lifter from Harbor Freight yesterday, have some wood and hardware laying around.  If it works great, if not I'm out $10.  If I see the kind of results I want then I too may pre-order the Delta.  We shall see...

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-cup-suction-lifter-46134.html 

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, blk93jeepzj said:

So I plan on giving this the ol DIY try this weekend.  Picked up a double suction cup lifter from Harbor Freight yesterday, have some wood and hardware laying around.  If it works great, if not I'm out $10.  If I see the kind of results I want then I too may pre-order the Delta.  We shall see...

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-cup-suction-lifter-46134.html 

Those are exactly the suction cups I used.  They are designed for lifting flat glass and will barely grab the slight curve of the LSV hull side.  Barely.  FYI, here are a few pictures of my setup - which worked but I abandoned because it was a real chore to get them stuck in place.  I think it was 3/8"galvanized and 2 pieces of 1/2" PVC pipe as spacers between the galvanized and the inside of the cup handles.

The white HDPE gets bolted flat to the underside of the ramp.  It can be moved forward or back to adjust the depth of the cups relative to the bottom of the ramp. 

The cup and galvanized setup is first stuck to the hull then the ramp hooks are hooked over the forward galvanized pipe.

Hope this saves you some time.

0423161841r.jpg.da45c7c1f6b8169c64a931f8

0423161841ar.jpg.863986ba75d46a88997196d

0423161840r.jpg.6f8b3e3f4dd463f76269d646

• Like 1

Thanks for the pics and insight.  Have a little different plan in my head but sometimes that doesn't always translate to real life application.

1 minute ago, blk93jeepzj said:

Thanks for the pics and insight.  Have a little different plan in my head but sometimes that doesn't always translate to real life application.

Take pictures.  I hope your plan works!

On 5/5/2016 at 10:20 AM, 05hammerhead said:

Guy who made it lives in MN so I shot him an email asking if I could just come pick mine(Standard Mission System) up father than having him ship it. When I went to pick it up, he was super cool, showed me his shop, etc. I wouldnt have any problem doing business with him again.  If he doesnt give you a group buy discount, Id be surprised.  

You should ping him. They weren't interested. Maybe they want to sell through the initial "new product buzz" and then discount after that.

Ordered it. I've been through a DIY surf gate and a DIY NSS gate. The 30 day return policy makes it a no risk option other than shipping.

we'll see...

1 hour ago, sidekicknicholas said:

I DIY'd one last night ... hopefully can give it a go this evening.  I also have two of the skateboard ramps sitting in the basement, but if I can avoid the velcro on the boat and having to store two monster ramps in the boat, that would be ideal.

attachment.php?attachmentid=40909&stc=1&

attachment.php?attachmentid=40910&stc=1&

attachment.php?attachmentid=40911&stc=1&

Looks good! That's what I wanted to do (same size cups) but the cups were too big for the lower part of my hull and the upper part has the doomed logo. Post with you before and after wake.

5 hours ago, sidekicknicholas said:

I DIY'd one last night ... hopefully can give it a go this evening.  I also have two of the skateboard ramps sitting in the basement, but if I can avoid the velcro on the boat and having to store two monster ramps in the boat, that would be ideal.

Looks good.  And if I hadn't thought about using the same thing, I wouldn't have noticed it was a cutting board.

And if I hadn't thought about using the same thing, I wouldn't have noticed it was a cutting board.

I only had a little 1" HDPE laying around so I used that for the main support gussets, but the rest is just a $9 walmart cutting board!

Hopefully this works to prove the concept, then I think MK2 will have the main blade on a piano hinge and I'll use the base of from a set of crutches... It would be nice to be able to change the angle in a matter of seconds and possibly the whole blade itself with just a pin ... try and figure out the right combo of angle and blade size.

Welp, no pictures of the wave since it didn't really work.  I tried for about 45 mins to get it to stay stuck to the boat with no luck.   I think the problem is my suction cups are too big for the LSV's hull.  The LSV has a curve to the lower section of the hull and I just don't think I cup gave enough to pickup that curve.... makes me wonder if the mission gate would work on this hull, their cups looked large too.

I have two smaller ones that came from a handle for old people to get out of the tub, but its shape is really hard to mount to anything cleanly.

• Like 2

Is the delta version's angle of attack as aggro as your homebrew version?  I mean SG sticks out like 22* from the hull but yours looks like almost 90*?  Or I mean to state it another way, as opposed to the skateboard ramp idea, yours is sortof a brick wall?