Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boat Advice - Recommend any of these in particular?

jpcrockett

Hello group.  Been reading for a long time, and just got the green-light from the spouse to get something for this summer.  By way of background, we've boated for a long time off and on, but never owned our own boat.  Everything we've used has been an I/O, so this will be our first experience with an inboard (can't wait!).  There are six of us (our four kids are all boys--ages 4-10), and we're okay at most things but not great at any.  Wife doesn't wakeboard, I'm not very good (but would like to get better), we both slalom fairly well, and we're both intrigued with surfing.  The kids--who knows.

Budget is under $30k, which given where I live (Salt Lake City) means that I'm looking at in the 2002-2004 range.  Anyway, I'm looking at these for boats in particular:

• 2002 23' LSV (has the wake hull) - $29,500: https://goo.gl/nWFIww (this one has been on the market since at least August, and is a 3 hour drive, one way)
  • 2003 21' Sunscape (looks like diamond hull) - $27,900: http://goo.gl/cp6VVR (this one has been on the market since at least August, and is also 3 hour drive, one way)
  • 2003 21' VLX, V drive (looks like wake hull, with surf gates, etc.) - $29,950: http://goo.gl/zXqpUR (this one has been on the market since December)
  • 2003 23' LSV, DD (looks like wake hull?) - $23,000: http://goo.gl/YniVbw (this one is new to the market--a week old)
  • 2004 23' XTI, DD (not sure on hull, ballast, etc. yet) - $29,999: http://goo.gl/flF45o (this one came on the market 2 days ago, and price just jumped from $26,000)

All are low hours given their age (although the 2002 has 500+ hours), and I'm guessing the best bet is the VLX--would be fine for recreational skiing, and the best bet for surfing.  Any thoughts before I start scheduling visits?

For what it's worth, the Malibu dealer in SLC is Taylor's Boats (which I haven't heard great things about, but I don't have any personal experience with them). If I went for the Sunscape, the dealer is up there who I'd have check things out is Idaho Water Sports, which I know nothing about.

Thanks in advance!

FWIW, the wake hull was not available on the 23' boats until 2004 but, we used that Diamond hull for wake boarding, surfing and skiing for a lot of years back in that time. I was never convinced that the Diamond hull had much lift at surfing speeds. We just weighted the boat down and went for it. It is a bigger boat than the 21 so it will take a little more to get it weighted down but it's very do-able.

I know a guy that has a 2003 23' Malibu XTI, and I know all about the hull and ballast etc and how clean it is that you can get your hands on for less than $29,999

Edited by crashleroux

With 4 kids, I'd go for a 23' boat, especially in those years when I believe the beams were narrower.   I love our VLX, but as kids invite their friends along, our 21' boat with the narrower beam is manageable, but tight.  FWIW, I'm not sure what the sweet spot for hours is, but most on this board agree a boat with average use through the years is more sound than a boat with low hours for its age, potentially indicating it wasn't used much or cared for correctly.   I'll hit 1000 hours on my VLX this year and it still runs like a champ, so don't let hours scare you away too much if the boat is clean and well cared for. 

• Like 2

That is a great first post, lots of good information and a clear direction!

Do you have your own place on the lake, or are you trailering to the lake, or do you rent a slip?  Whether or not you have a "home base" to drop back to throughout the day is a factor.  Also, what size lake(s)?

If you can swing it get a 2004 or newer 23LSV. With your crew size of 6 (that's growing) plus friends you'll be forever thankful for the additional seating and storage when you're out on the water all day. I'd avoid the XTI at all costs...unless you like upgrading boats after a season or two (sorry XTI owners) :)

6 minutes ago, Michigan boarder said:

That is a great first post, lots of good information and a clear direction!

Do you have your own place on the lake, or are you trailering to the lake, or do you rent a slip?  Whether or not you have a "home base" to drop back to throughout the day is a factor.  Also, what size lake(s)?

:plus1: Size matters more if you're based off the boat, which, in Utah, you probably are, in which case the 23LSV would be good.  Not so much if you have a lake home.  If you have a lift, make sure the tower is compatible with the lift and canopy.

Skip the direct drives.  With the kids the future is wake and surf.  The gates on the VLX appear to have a Lenco trim tab controller (by the throttle) which will work, but is not meant to control surf gates.  You would need matinarcher's system to make the gates user friendly.

@jpcrockett:  I noticed you indicate your expertise on the water leans towards skiing, the vessels you note are not the cream in the Malibu lineup for that discipline, although, a ski focused boat will be a Direct Drive and not the roomiest of options.  You note you are in SLC, there is a very avid skier named Scot Chipman, he is on a couple of forums and tends to be very helpful, you might shoot him a PM to start a discussion as he tends to be very helpful on the boards and would probably be super happy to provide general/boat/Utah information.  He is listed on www.utahwaterski.com which is the Utah Waterski club website, I think he is/was president of the club.  If nothing else, it will expose you to the world of hard core skier addicts & the Utah tournament ski scene!  Besides, exposing the rugrats to slalom & tournaments may just get them hooked.

Thanks for the responses!  @Ronnie—thanks for the clarification.

@crashleroux—thanks for the lead. Still debating XTI vs a V drive—I’ll PM you

@hethj7—Great info—thanks.

@Michigan—thank you! We’ll be trailering, and most of the stuff around here is smaller reservoirs, with the exception of Lake Powell, which we do 1-2 times per year.

@jetskipro550—good point. The boys aren’t getting any smaller! Thanks.

@minnmarker—thanks—I’m thinking a V drive is the way to go. We’re not competitive skiers by any stretch, and the older I get, the more appealing surfing gets.

@Sixer—good point.  I don’t have a problem driving (picked up my car in Philly and drove it to SLC), but if one closer to home was clearly superior, I’d prefer that route. Thanks!

@Woodski—Love skiing, but I think my hard charging days are over.  I was never competitive, but now I’m certainly not—age and too much bike racing is starting to take its toll!  Thanks for the contact—I’ll reach out to him.  I appreciate the help.

JP- Just a quick note on Idaho Water Sports. I just bought an Axis from them (Nampa location) and have multiple friends that have purchased boats from them, Malibus, Nautique, etc. They're a good crew and I've been very impressed with their staff. I've met Mike from the Burley store and he's a good guy. So, if the Sunscape ends up on your short-list don't hesitate to give them a ring. I also noticed they have a '04 21LSV in Nampa that's in your price range.

Edited by IdahoAxis
  • Like 3

A crew of 6 and your kids' friends begs for a 23ft boat.

I only have experience on my 02 sunscape 21lsv and it works good for everything. Puts out a nice surf wave once you figure out how much ballast and where you need it. I am by no means an expert on wakeboard wakes but i think it's pretty good for any intermediate rider. 

When we have friends over, it gets crowded, especially when we go out for the whole day (food, drinks, towels, etc.)... if you don't plan on upgrading soon, i'd go with a 23 footer right away.

• Like 2

23' and Vdrive ....or else in a few years you'll be shopping again.

Between the cabin space and storage 23' is worth every penny

I also live in slc area have 3 young boys, I grew up behind a malibu skier and absolutely love skiing. I ended up w a 23 lsv and am so glad I did. Like was mentioned before as soon as we take the kids friends or cousins the boat fills fast. For the day trips the 23 has good space and storage. We fill the cooler and spend the whole day on the water. 

The wake behind this boat is definitely not what my dad's boat is, but it's tolerable. When the water is glass I ski, but the rest of the time we are surfing, kneeboarding, or tubing (Yeah I said it) and for that, the size of the boat is ideal. 

I found the boat in Star Valley WY and met the seller in Burley where I had Idaho water sports do a pre-buy inspection on it. It was cheap like $100 and they checked it out and even put it on the water for a rundown. They were great for me. 

Living in slc area just know you probably won't be able to put in Utah lake late season.  Last year we couldn't get on after the July 4th because the marina was too shallow. Hopefully a better winter will help that this year especially since I live 1 min from the ramp.  

Good luck with your purchase! 

JP, I have bought three boats from Taylor's and have nothing but good things to say.  They are a big dealer but work hard to treat you right. Stop in and introduce yourself, meet the service manager and even Taylor as well. I have been in there mid season when things are crazy and they made time for me and resolved my issues.  

2 hours ago, Mtn308 said:

I also live in slc area have 3 young boys, I grew up behind a malibu skier and absolutely love skiing. I ended up w a 23 lsv and am so glad I did. Like was mentioned before as soon as we take the kids friends or cousins the boat fills fast. For the day trips the 23 has good space and storage. We fill the cooler and spend the whole day on the water. 

The wake behind this boat is definitely not what my dad's boat is, but it's tolerable. When the water is glass I ski, but the rest of the time we are surfing, kneeboarding, or tubing (Yeah I said it) and for that, the size of the boat is ideal. 

I found the boat in Star Valley WY and met the seller in Burley where I had Idaho water sports do a pre-buy inspection on it. It was cheap like $100 and they checked it out and even put it on the water for a rundown. They were great for me. 

Living in slc area just know you probably won't be able to put in Utah lake late season.  Last year we couldn't get on after the July 4th because the marina was too shallow. Hopefully a better winter will help that this year especially since I live 1 min from the ramp.  

Good luck with your purchase! 

Super helpful--thank you!

2 hours ago, JEFFR said:

JP, I have bought three boats from Taylor's and have nothing but good things to say.  They are a big dealer but work hard to treat you right. Stop in and introduce yourself, meet the service manager and even Taylor as well. I have been in there mid season when things are crazy and they made time for me and resolved my issues.  

Good to hear--thanks JEFFR!

I purchased a barely-used 2015 23LSV from Taylor's Boats in SLC, UT, in November.  Picked her up yesterday with only 27 hours on her, all clean and ready for a fun spring/summer/fall.  Taylor's has been nothing but professional, attentive, and delivering top-of-the-class service to me.  They are quality people and have treated me well -- go meet Taylor, Cody, McKay, Spencer, Tim -- I think you will be pleased.

On April 28, 2016 at 3:18 PM, IdahoAxis said:

JP- Just a quick note on Idaho Water Sports. I just bought an Axis from them (Nampa location) and have multiple friends that have purchased boats from them, Malibus, Nautique, etc. They're a good crew and I've been very impressed with their staff. I've met Mike from the Burley store and he's a good guy. So, if the Sunscape ends up on your short-list don't hesitate to give them a ring. I also noticed they have a '04 21LSV in Nampa that's in your price range.

X2 on this.  The IWS guys are a great bunch.  Our LSV is the 3rd boat we've bought from them.  

Good luck on your decision

The two WS LSVs listed have a few questions....

in 2002 the Monsoon engine was 325 HP.

the 2003 is listed as a direct drive, can't be.  LSV= Luxury Sport V-drive. And the price seems low for that boat.