Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 RAM 1500 Towing Knowledge

Trentini

Hi,

I have purchased a 2016 RAM 1500 Sport, with the 5.7Hemi.

I didn't purchase the truck for the main purpose to tow my 2014 23LSV, but I am wondering if anyone has experience towing with this setup.

Based on any information I gain - I may choose to tow my boat home to store (350 miles) instead of paying for winter storage.

The tow isn't the easier - via some pretty good mountainous highways, but I am hoping that the truck might be up to the challenge.

Thanks.

I tow with a 2009 Hemi, car trailers that weigh a lot more than your boat.  It is what the truck is built for.  Put it in tow/haul when you are in the mountains and you should be fine (gas mileage will suck)

I have the 2014 Ram with 5.7, and 3.92 gears and 8 speed, tows my boat way too easy. Granted I have a 2001 VLX, not a 2014 LSV, but either way I don't see that being much of a problem.

Hi

I also have the 3.92/8 speed - no air suspension - but again wasn't thinking of a tow vehicle first - but a good all around vehicle.

20 minutes ago, Trentini said:

Hi

I also have the 3.92/8 speed - no air suspension - but again wasn't thinking of a tow vehicle first - but a good all around vehicle.

You'll be fine.  Mine is a Hemi, 5 speed auto, 3.21 gears

You'll definetly feel the boat on the hope slide hill or the snow shed on the coquihalla but the boat is still under the max tow rating isn't it? I think it will handle her just fine .. If you find it squatting alot and the back end pretty bouncy when towing you may want to add airbags it will make your handling much nicer

Edited by Cayute

So I thought I would share my experience from this past weekend.  I pulled our new 16' VLX with my 15' Hemi with 3:21 gears and I was extremely happy.  Relatively flat ground and took backroads going 60 average (did get it up to 70 during one section) and the Hemi power with 8 speed tranny is a great combo.  I did add airbags to the rear coils and feel like they help a lot, no bouncing after you hit bumps and it kept the truck riding level.  I would feel very comfortable pulling that VLX anywhere, even on long trips if we ever decide to take it out of state.  Oh yeah, averaged about 13 MPG while towing.

55 minutes ago, Skin2Win said:

So I thought I would share my experience from this past weekend.  I pulled our new 16' VLX with my 15' Hemi with 3:21 gears and I was extremely happy.  Relatively flat ground and took backroads going 60 average (did get it up to 70 during one section) and the Hemi power with 8 speed tranny is a great combo.  I did add airbags to the rear coils and feel like they help a lot, no bouncing after you hit bumps and it kept the truck riding level.  I would feel very comfortable pulling that VLX anywhere, even on long trips if we ever decide to take it out of state.  Oh yeah, averaged about 13 MPG while towing.

Amazing how much power you get out of a set of 3.21 gears behind a hemi isn't it? 

Heck yeah it is!!  I think my first words after I got done was "this thing pulls like a beast!"  Needless to say, I was impressed.

Technically, doesn't it require a weight distribution hitch for anything above 5000lb trailer weight? Just curious what folks think

23 minutes ago, MystiikVLX said:

Technically, doesn't it require a weight distribution hitch for anything above 5000lb trailer weight? Just curious what folks think

Depends on the hitch/vehicle rating.  The class 4 on my 09 ram is rated for 10k and 1k of tongue weight without weight distribution. 

You will be absolutely fine, done it dozens of times in the same truck lifted with 35" tires. Could always still break the speed limit on the biggest hills to and from the interior. Almost as good as the eco boost f150 :yahoo: What lake are you at?

Edited by wheelman
45 minutes ago, MystiikVLX said:

I believe Chrysler recommends a WD hitch for > 1000 lbs tongue weight, but doesn't require it.  I measure the tongue weight of my '00 lsv 23 a while back, it was less than 300lbs.

2010 Ram w/5.7L HEMI and 3.92 gears.  Living in southwest Kansas I have to tow my boat quite aways to get to water.  Made a six hour trip in March to Go Surf Assist in Wichita Falls, TX and every year we make a 7-8 hour trip to Grand Lake in northeast Oklahoma.  Never had any problems with this truck being able to tow my boat.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi - thanks for all the helpful comments/advice, and it sounds very positive!

Wheelman, I'm on Okanagan Lake between Vernon and Kelowna - but have always kept my boat in the Okanagan over the winter months.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

what does that '16 VLX with trailer and everything weigh?  6K?

just curious? 

my 2012 chevrolet suburban (5.3 with tow mode) is not terribly impressive pulling my relatively light '04 21 sunscape....  

23 minutes ago, Arctic Slalom said:

what does that '16 VLX with trailer and everything weigh?  6K?

just curious? 

my 2012 chevrolet suburban (5.3 with tow mode) is not terribly impressive pulling my relatively light '04 21 sunscape....  

Could have stopped at 2012 5.3 is not terribly impressive;)  Kind of like an old Ford 5.4, gets the job done but not really comparable to a Hemi or even the current 5.3 engine that they finally got some power out of.

• 4 weeks later...
On May 3, 2016 at 7:58 PM, oldjeep said:

Depends on the hitch/vehicle rating.  The class 4 on my 09 ram is rated for 10k and 1k of tongue weight without weight distribution. 

Most half ton trucks are class IV now. Both Toyota and Ford require weight distribution hitches for anything over 5k lbs. this requirement is embedded deeply in the owner's manuals or towing guidance brochures. I've never taken the time to see if GM and RAM make the same requirement, but I would be surprised if two do, and the others don't.

well prepare to be surprised;). There have already been a number of discussions on this, ram tow ratings do not require wd hitch and Chevy didn't at least up until 2015, no idea on 2016.  The whole idea of requiring one to tow 6k is pretty silly considering a modern half ton is built stronger than the one tons of the not so distant past. (except maybe those beer can f150's) :)

11 hours ago, oldjeep said:

well prepare to be surprised;). There have already been a number of discussions on this, ram tow ratings do not require wd hitch and Chevy didn't at least up until 2015, no idea on 2016.  The whole idea of requiring one to tow 6k is pretty silly considering a modern half ton is built stronger than the one tons of the not so distant past. (except maybe those beer can f150's) :)

250 miles towing to the northwoods of Wisconsin on Thursday and the Coke can held up to my surprised ;).  Even got hit with soccer ball and no tear in the Al.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DAI said:

250 miles towing to the northwoods of Wisconsin on Thursday and the Coke can held up to my surprised ;).  Even got hit with soccer ball and no tear in the Al.

just watch it when your wife tosses her purse in the bed

• Like 1