Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Is my alternator missing a screw? 2004 Monsoon 340

We took the boat out for the first time this weekend and aside from a few minor issues had a blast.  My alt bet was a bit squeaky though so I'm going to replace it.  

I was inspecting it last night and I tried to tighten it.  The instructions I saw online stated that there was a bolt and nut on top and an allen head screw on the bottom.  Mine doesn't have the allen head screw on the bottom.  Is it just missing.  Once I loosened the nut and bolt on the top The alternator was free to move.  

Should I replace the allen head screw?  What size? What does it thread into?  Is there a nut missing also or a tapped hole somewhere.  I didn't have a mirror and it was kind of hard to see under the alt. 

I have a 2004 VLX with Monsoon 340 and just replaced alt 3 months ago. You are missing the Allen bolt on the bottom. And I think I remember the sliding bracket being on top. I'll check it out tomorrow and repost if different than that. As to the size of the Allen, I would ask the folks @ Skidim/Discount Marine. 

So I got down there with a dentist mirror and found my bottom bolt is there. But it's not an Allen it has a he head and installs thru the back. It goes thru the bracket and into a tapped hole in the alternator. Since the hex head is in the back I didn't feel it yesterday and assumed it was missing.  

The reason my alt felt loose after I loosened the sliding bolt is the bolt that holds the lower bracket to the block was loose. Once I tightened that the alt rotates normally and I can tension the belt. It seems ok but since there is no Allen and the bottom bolt goes thru the back I still suspect that something may not be original. 

I put a new belt on and the alt still slides almost to the end of the slot. I got it tight but there's not much room to tension it further.  Also I noticed my muffler touches or almost touches my raw water pump. Should I have to move or remove the muffler to change the impeller?  That sounds terrible. 

Edited by Gavin17

I too have an 04 and my muffler sifts very close to the raw water pump and has rubbed in the past. Usually to change my impeller I have to remove one side from the riser to get enough room in there to change it. I take the hose off of the riser and not the muffler since the fiberglass on mine was a bit brittle. Was brittle, however, I rebuilt the muffler a couple of years ago but don't want to add any extra stress to the fiberglass if I don't have to. 

• 2 weeks later...

Another update in case anyone ever searches this in the future. 

The 7430 was too long and the alt was at the very end of the adjustment slot when the belt was new.  

The 7420 was too short and impossible to install.  

The 7425 was just right.  It's tough to install but not impossible and now my alternator is right in the middle of the slotted bracket.  

I'm getting really good at changing belts on this thing.  I also figured out that when moving the raw water pump bracket to get a belt on an off it's easier to remove the two bolts that connect the raw water pump bracket to the engine block than it is to remove the one allen screw and nut/ lock washer combo.  

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity. Did the belt change help your original problem? Did you discover that it was in fact the old belt that was squeaking? Or does the Alternator still squeak?

At the beginning of last season, during my pre-season checks (first engine run on a fake-a-lake after the de-winterization process), I also noticed I had a squeaky alternator/belt/I don't know what. The sound was coming from the alternator and I was surprised since it was new-ish. I immediately called my dealer. He explained to me that it's a common occurrence for the Alt to squeak the first few hours of a season. He explained that during the off season the Alt belt/fan will sit and vibrate/rotate ever so slightly. Over the course of an entire off season, these tiny vibrations/rotations wear-in a tiny little groove on the ball bearing. And that's what you hear squeaking when you start your motor back up the following season. I gave it a quick shot of WD-40 on the bearing. It turned out the dealer was right. I immediately noticed less of a squeak after the shot of WD-40. After a few more hours running the motor (our usual lake activities), the squeak was completely gone. I should also mentioned I wasn't afraid to try this little experiment because the dealer said he would replace the Alt under the warranty if it was still squeaking after 5 hours. I had nothing to lose.

I haven't started the boat with the 7425 belt installed yet but I plan to Saturday.  I'll report back.  I'll probably start it in the driveway tonight but it never did it idling on the hose.  I only ever heard anything under load on the lake.  It was loudest around 1800 rpm and it was really loud. 

There's still a slight squeak in the middle rpms 1500-2500 ish.  But it went from being able to hear it across the lake to barely being able to hear it in the boat.  I'll lube the alt pulley next and I've only been testing/ cruising around in a small lake so far so I've probably got an hour of run time so far this season.  

• 2 years later...
On 4/26/2016 at 6:04 PM, jkloor said:

I have a 2004 VLX with Monsoon 340 and just replaced alt 3 months ago. 

Reviving from the dead for some help on installing a new alternator. First question is where did you pick up your new one? did you get your old one rebuilt? I have the exact same year/model/engine.

Edited by AJwakedevil
  • 1 month later...