Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Overheating troubleshooting

Alright boys and girls I've exhausted my brain on my boats issue so here it goes to to the crew

2000 Indmar 310 Carby ~400 hours

Boat runs between 160-180, never over 180. This year i've replaced a leaky circ pump, a sticky thermostat, and put in a new impeller (and new gasket), there is no obstruction in the oil cooler or the clamshell, any ideas? Thanks,

Chris

Alright boys and girls I've exhausted my brain on my boats issue so here it goes to to the crew

2000 Indmar 310 Carby ~400 hours

Boat runs between 160-180, never over 180. This year i've replaced a leaky circ pump, a sticky thermostat, and put in a new impeller (and new gasket), there is no obstruction in the oil cooler or the clamshell, any ideas? Thanks,

Chris

Bad pickup for temp gauge? Have you verified the temperature reading?

Mike

I must have missed something....what temperature is it running? My monsoon has run between 160-180 since the day I bought it new. Mine has a 180 degree thermostat.

Check the exhaust manifolds for blockage. My 01 carb always ran at 160 . It started running at 180 which wasn't normal for that engine. dissconnect the jumper hose between the rear of the manifolds. If the hoses are plugged check the manifolds . I was able to remove the manifolds & risers & clean them out with a pressure washer.

I must have missed something....what temperature is it running? My monsoon has run between 160-180 since the day I bought it new. Mine has a 180 degree thermostat.

What? They used to run 140° thermostats, IIRC, prior to the proliferation of heaters. Then the stats were UPPED to 160. I could be way off on this, but I don't remember hearing about 180 stats.

Chris, interesting suggestions above. Keep us posted.

Did you replace it with a stat from the Bu dealer or from an auto parts store?
I did put in a real thermostat, boats should run at 160, I'm thinking its the manifolds...

I asked because I put a stat (160) in from an auto parts store & got the same symptoms, it would fluctuate between 160 & 180, never above that. I then put in a stat from the dealer, problem solved. Before I put it in, I compared the 2 & the stat from the dealer visibly had more flow, the one from the auto parts store was much more restrictive. So I guess I'm not clear on what "real thermostat" means to you. If you're a gearhead like me, it means a normal old stat that you'd buy for your daily driver down at Napa. :)

Yeah I really should pull the thermostat and run to boat to eliminate that possibilty, however the boat ran hot before so I don't think that is the issue, but for 5 minutes of work it beats pulling the manifolds...

• 2 weeks later...

Alright problem solved, after I pulled the risers and discovered they were fine, I started at square one and replaced my new thermostat which turned out to be a lower volume stat then the one that Indmar used to use.

Alright problem solved, after I pulled the risers and discovered they were fine, I started at square one and replaced my new thermostat which turned out to be a lower volume stat then the one that Indmar used to use.

I just did the same thing, my circulating pump was leaking so I changed it & thought I'd change the thermostat while I was at it(160 degree automotive thermostat) Now the boat runs between 160-180.

Heres my question, obviously I've got to change to a higher volume stat. It may be a few days before I get a new one & I'm running the boat daily. Should I be concerned about running at these higher temps?