Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering Cable

TXBu

Trying to get everything ready for summer. Last year the steering became very difficult turning left when the boat was filled with people and weight. I went and played around with everything on the trailer Saturday and its a bit more difficult to turn the wheel left still. There is also about a 1/4" of slack in the cable and rudder. Do you all think I'm looking at getting a new cable? Last time I replace the cable was about 5 yrs ago. 

Thanks! 

Edited by TXBu

I think turning wheel left is pushing the cable so probably some binding in there and probably not the rudder bushings if turning right is free.  Since it may be hard to access the tiller arm/cable connection to disconnect and check rudder bushings, maybe just grab the rudder and see if its hard to turn it right (pushing cable) and easier to turn left.  If so then it's probably the cable.

Sorry for the delay...thanks Mark. It's been about 6 yrs since I installed a new cable, and there were a two years where it didn't get any use. I'm going to replace that and see if it fairs any better.