Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New Vinyl Cleaning Technique

I have always been a bit perplexed on how to really get the vinyl clean so my buddy and I tried something new this year.  I went to Harbor Freight and bought a steam cleaner ($59 on sale).  I sprayed the vinyl with Grease Lightning and used the steamer with a little scrub pad attached.  I have attached a few photos, and the results were amazing!!  Obviously this totally strips any protectant on the vinyl, so i will be washing down after with fresh water, and then applying a vinyl treatment.  I wonder if anyone has ever tried this technique?  It seemed to work incredible, but i do worry about the extreme temperature's of the steam on the vinyl??  I have no clue how to attached photos - says I'm only allowed 296 kb - photos are under that, and it still wont allow me??  Hopefully my link to dropbox works :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7m82e8c7ofilshc/AACy-krro4jqnOqGwyyt2HWAa?dl=0

• Like 3

Link works and the seats look good. I like the idea of using the steamer, but I might use a different product that is made for boat vinyl just to be safe. 

Which Steamer did you buy from HF?  The only one I saw online was on sale for $139.

Edited by blk93jeepzj
price
On 4/24/2016 at 5:34 PM, MalibuKarl said:

I have always been a bit perplexed on how to really get the vinyl clean so my buddy and I tried something new this year.  I went to Harbor Freight and bought a steam cleaner ($59 on sale).  I sprayed the vinyl with Grease Lightning and used the steamer with a little scrub pad attached.  I have attached a few photos, and the results were amazing!!  Obviously this totally strips any protectant on the vinyl, so i will be washing down after with fresh water, and then applying a vinyl treatment.  I wonder if anyone has ever tried this technique?  It seemed to work incredible, but i do worry about the extreme temperature's of the steam on the vinyl??  I have no clue how to attached photos - says I'm only allowed 296 kb - photos are under that, and it still wont allow me??  Hopefully my link to dropbox works :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7m82e8c7ofilshc/AACy-krro4jqnOqGwyyt2HWAa?dl=0

Some great results!

Your pictures look like an infomercial!  I looked on the Greased Lightning web site and no where does it say to use on vinyl.  Are you sure it's safe for vinyl?  Some similar products like 409 are not for use on vinyl.

I wonder if the steam would super charge specific vinyl cleaners such as Vinyl Sauce?

I have the vinyl sauce as well - I wish i would have tried it too!!  I do know without the greased lightning it really did not work.  I would definitely try the Vinyl Sauce first however.  I was a bit nervous about the Greased Lightning - Vinyl look and feels ok - so hopefully no damage??  I don't think it is a product i would use annually as i suspect it would begin to damage the vinyl.  I still want to make sure i really rinse all of the vinyl, and then treat with Boat Bling Vinyl conditioner.