Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

What size packing do I have?

Small dimension = 3/16:

55566A72-DC84-47ED-991E-26FEA050DAE6.jpg

Larger dimension = 1/4"

3E1C9824-FF97-493D-8432-BAAC8096CD8A.jpg

In the larger / second photo you're looking at the surface that touches the shaft...

PS, getting that stuff out is horrible. 

It's the 3/16. Skidim.com sells the virtually dripless stuff. Works great.

I used the cheapie HF pics too. The curved/bent ones made it easy.

BTW, there should be3 pieces in there.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I cut a piece of plastic pipe into a 2 inch section and then split it in half.  Then rounded the edge a little.  I could use that to push the packing into the nut.  The hardest part for me was getting the old out.  

51 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

you're only half way there :biggrin: I had a helluva time getting 3 rounds of packing stuffed in there and getting the nut to bite.  YMMV.

I made it happen by putting one piece in, then threading the collar on pushing the packing all the way in. Then back the collar off, put another piece of packing in place, thread the collar down all the way to press both pieces in place, back it off & the 3rd piece fit in there without a problem.

3 hours ago, Bill_AirJunky said:

I made it happen by putting one piece in, then threading the collar on pushing the packing all the way in. Then back the collar off, put another piece of packing in place, thread the collar down all the way to press both pieces in place, back it off & the 3rd piece fit in there without a problem.

+1

Thanks guys, all good advice. I had planned on cutting a piece of old ballast hose I have laying around but sounds like threading the nut on is a good way to pack it in nice. 

• 2 weeks later...

So just to close the loop on this one... I got my packing replaced yesterday. You guys were right, that stuff fits in there super tight. I cut a piece of ballast hose I had lying around and tried to use that but ended up using Bills method. I just pushed the stuff up in as far as I could with the tips of my fingers and then threaded the nut on snugly to pack it up in. Rinse repeat 3X. Now I just need to fine tune it in the water. Looks like it MIGHT get to 70 this week. Fingers crossed. 

Can't believe I ran it so long leaking so bad, this really was an easy fix. (Levi crosses his fingers and knocks on wood as he realizes the boat hasn't been in the water yet) 

• Like 2

Congrats on getting it done Levi.

Be sure to leave it loose & get it good & wet the first time you put the boat in the water. Then gradually tighten it up till it "virtually" stops leaking. And check your prop shaft temp occasionally the first day or two.

After several years with this packing, mine doesn't leak at all any more & the shaft stays cool all the time.

Also, for pushing the packing into the nut I have a piece of inch PVC pipe I cut an opening in to clip on to the drive shaft to push the packing material in.  it worked great.

• 1 month later...

So, I might have gotten myself into some trouble. I adjusted my nut over by the launch. Let it get really wet than tightened it up a bit. Set the drip rate at idle speed than watched it closely as we motored across the bay (about 25 MPH). It was nice and cool when we got to the lift so I threw the seat into place and walked away. Yesterday after about a 15 min ride I decided to check it and it was pretty warm. There also was black stuff everywhere down there, which I'm thinking was the graphite impregnated into the rope. It wasnt super hot, but it wasn't cool either. I hope I didn't ruin the packing. 

I left it really loose on the lift and I'll re-adjust it the next time I got out. Hoping I don't have to replace it again.