Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

-09 VLX, hard tank doesn't come out...

Hi,

Today I tried to remove the hard tank from my 2009 VLX due to maintenance reasons: I'm having troubles with the tranny's heat exchanger and oil pressure sensor. My idea was to remove the right rear locker hard tank to get some space for working. I removed the pump and and all the hoses and now the tank is moving freely. But I can't get the damned thing fit out from the locker opening...

1. What needs to be removed to pull the hard tank out? Rear seat back cushion and wall??

2. Was this a bad idea after all? Do I just need a smaller guy for doing the maintenance?

And sorry for spamming. I spent an hour trying to find "how to remove hard tank"-topic without any luck. I'd be grateful if someone can point me a good topic on this.

Thx!

Mika

Nobody seems to be biting so I'll offer my (probably worthless) 2 cents.  I know I have a totally different year/model and yours probably has tighter packaging, but when I removed mine I had to angle and rotate the tanks a bit to maneuver them out of the locker...other than that it was fairly straightforward.  Are your engine baffles removed?  I definitely had mine out for the extra wiggle room.

10 hours ago, greg2vlx said:

Try rotating them 180....I had a similar issue and that was the only solution other than taking a lot of other things apart.

Many thanks! That 180 degree rotation is probably the only thing I haven't tried yet. I was afraid of cutting and ruining the carpets with the tank mounting plates. Now I will either remove those plates first (if doable...) or put a rubber mat on top of the carpet to avoid cuts and scratches.

It's a showcase of engineering and 3D-modeling to design a tank that goes thru the locker opening only in the very correct angle and with 1/10" of extra space... :salute: ...get's on the nerves though.

On our 2004 VLX I thought the tanks would never come out in one piece, but they did, I recall putting them flat, not sure which way? and lifting the end at the front up? It was a few years ago!  Good luck.