Jump to content

Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
Wakesetter67

2015 Dash blinking is driving me nutz...

Recommended Posts

Wakesetter67

Anyone else having issues with the dash blinking on and off about every 5 seconds, My dealer ( who is awesome)  is trying everything to fix it since last year to no avail, Now Malibu is going to try some sort of filter, I say get me a new Dash.... :shocked:

Edited by Wakesetter67

Share this post


Link to post
wakebrdr94

I haven't had an issue, it's the first time I've heard of this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Wakesetter67

My dealer said Malibu is going to issue a service bulletin, so there are other cases, But so far nothing seems to work, I have been dealing with this all last year and both my dealer and me are getting frustrated, If its the dash send me a new one!! going on my 5th trip to try and fix it!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
mikeo

Post a video so others can see. Is it the 7" or the 12" display?

I have a theory, but without more data I can't help. I haven't seen any blinking on my dash.

Share this post


Link to post
Wakesetter67

OK this is a good day,  If I remember it wont blink in neutral, Only when you put it in gear, Also The first time I took it out this year I backed off the trailer and the screen went nutz blinking all the time and then mellowed out, It does it with or without the stereo on, and My stereo is separate from the boat as I did stereo delete, And for the most part its real random as if you increase speed it has no affect, They have checked all connections, Install new plug and did a few software updates,  th_IMG_7019%201_zpsctivyi8x.mp4

Edited by Wakesetter67

Share this post


Link to post
23LSVOwner

According to my sources there is a kit coming out that should address this.

I suspect Malibu wants to wait for this kit because chances are this would still happen with a new screen, aggravating you even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Andrew63

First thoughts are for the dealer to arrange a replacement.

if the problem persists, return the replacement, reinstall the original & keep looking

if the problem is fixed, Malibu will have no problem returning to the instrument manufacturer for a replacement for their stock.

Share this post


Link to post
Wakesetter67
53 minutes ago, 23LSVOwner said:

According to my sources there is a kit coming out that should address this.

I suspect Malibu wants to wait for this kit because chances are this would still happen with a new screen, aggravating you even more.

I guess my thinking was, It did not do it when we first bought the boat, I want to say it started around 80 HR's, so I would think if it were from the connection back it would have done it out the door, Not sure what changed, Since they tried everything else the screen would be the next thing, Thankfully it does not effect performance I'm just tired of taking back and forth to the dealer, and I'm sure there tired of me..LOL I will post back once the new fix is in... I really wanted to know if there were anyone else with the same issue and how they fixed it, 

Edited by Wakesetter67

Share this post


Link to post
23LSVOwner
1 hour ago, Wakesetter67 said:

I guess my thinking was, It did not do it when we first bought the boat, I want to say it started around 80 HR's, so I would think if it were from the connection back it would have done it out the door, Not sure what changed, Since they tried everything else the screen would be the next thing, Thankfully it does not effect performance I'm just tired of taking back and forth to the dealer, and I'm sure there tired of me..LOL I will post back once the new fix is in... I really wanted to know if there were anyone else with the same issue and how they fixed it, 

Does the 7" screen do it as well, or only the 12"?

Share this post


Link to post
Wakesetter67
1 hour ago, 23LSVOwner said:

Does the 7" screen do it as well, or only the 12"?

Only the 12"

Share this post


Link to post
mikeo

If it's only the 12" screen, then it could be as simple as a cable. The 12" screen is a "dumb" screen with only a signal cable going to it; like hooking your laptop to an external monitor. All of the logic is in the 7" display. There have been a few reports of pinched/kinked cables running between the 7" and 12" display. The fact that the blinking occurs when you're moving could indicate that there is a break in the cable and it's shorting/disconnecting.

I don't know the pinout, but the cable is a "network" (cat5) style cable with RJ45 (8P8C) ends on it. It's possible to use the display with the cable run externally, so finding the pinout (easy with a network cable tester) and running a new cable would be one of the first things I would try.

Share this post


Link to post
23LSVOwner
Just now, mikeo said:

If it's only the 12" screen, then it could be as simple as a cable. The 12" screen is a "dumb" screen with only a signal cable going to it; like hooking your laptop to an external monitor. All of the logic is in the 7" display. There have been a few reports of pinched/kinked cables running between the 7" and 12" display. The fact that the blinking occurs when you're moving could indicate that there is a break in the cable and it's shorting/disconnecting.

I don't know the pinout, but the cable is a "network" (cat5) style cable with RJ45 (8P8C) ends on it. It's possible to use the display with the cable run externally, so finding the pinout (easy with a network cable tester) and running a new cable would be one of the first things I would try.

^this^

Have they replaced the Cat 6 cable?

 

If not that is the most likely culprit.

Share this post


Link to post
Wakesetter67
55 minutes ago, mikeo said:

If it's only the 12" screen, then it could be as simple as a cable. The 12" screen is a "dumb" screen with only a signal cable going to it; like hooking your laptop to an external monitor. All of the logic is in the 7" display. There have been a few reports of pinched/kinked cables running between the 7" and 12" display. The fact that the blinking occurs when you're moving could indicate that there is a break in the cable and it's shorting/disconnecting.

I don't know the pinout, but the cable is a "network" (cat5) style cable with RJ45 (8P8C) ends on it. It's possible to use the display with the cable run externally, so finding the pinout (easy with a network cable tester) and running a new cable would be one of the first things I would try.

To my understanding yes the cable was replaced, Thats what makes it so frustrating they have pretty much done everything except replace the entire 12" screen, But since Malibu is creating a service bulletin then it must be somewhat common or others are having the same issue, Thats why I posted it on here to see if anyone else has the same issue, One other guy in my area has the same problem but it only happens once in about 10 minutes so he was not as worried about it, mine is all the time! 

Share this post


Link to post
PurpleHaze

Did this ever get resolved for you? I have the same issue flaring up on my '15 MXZ. I've already had the 7" replaced.

Share this post


Link to post
bb1632

My 12" screen starting blinking immediately after the dealer replaced my 7" screen (which was done due the the power cycling issue that many have had).  

I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, I was going to wait until the end of the season because at least everything is working.

Anyway, just wanted to provide a few more details, it NEVER blinked with the old 7" screen (which was my 2nd), but this third screen has it blinking just like the video shows.  I've pushed all of the connections that I could find to ensure they were tight with no improvement.

Also, the new 7" screen was taken from a 2016 boat and had the firmware flashed back to the newest 15 firmware...

Does everyone with the flashing problem have the latest firmware?  Maybe it has something to do with that?

Share this post


Link to post
23LSVOwner
5 hours ago, bb1632 said:

My 12" screen starting blinking immediately after the dealer replaced my 7" screen (which was done due the the power cycling issue that many have had).  

I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, I was going to wait until the end of the season because at least everything is working.

Anyway, just wanted to provide a few more details, it NEVER blinked with the old 7" screen (which was my 2nd), but this third screen has it blinking just like the video shows.  I've pushed all of the connections that I could find to ensure they were tight with no improvement.

Also, the new 7" screen was taken from a 2016 boat and had the firmware flashed back to the newest 15 firmware...

Does everyone with the flashing problem have the latest firmware?  Maybe it has something to do with that?

I'm pretty sure there are internal differences between the 16 and the 15 7" screen. That could be why yours is flashing.

Share this post


Link to post
Wakesetter67
On 8/10/2016 at 5:43 AM, bb1632 said:

My 12" screen starting blinking immediately after the dealer replaced my 7" screen (which was done due the the power cycling issue that many have had).  

I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, I was going to wait until the end of the season because at least everything is working.

Anyway, just wanted to provide a few more details, it NEVER blinked with the old 7" screen (which was my 2nd), but this third screen has it blinking just like the video shows.  I've pushed all of the connections that I could find to ensure they were tight with no improvement.

Also, the new 7" screen was taken from a 2016 boat and had the firmware flashed back to the newest 15 firmware...

Does everyone with the flashing problem have the latest firmware?  Maybe it has something to do with that?

Yup this is when my blinking showed up, Right after they replaced then 7" screen, About 60 Hr in, So now 280 Hr's later and about 6 Attempts to fix it, I get 2 new screen, the 7" and 12" I will report back on Sunday to see if that did the trick!

Share this post


Link to post
Wakesetter67

Well the 7" screen did not show up, so they installed the New 12" screen, And Knock on wood, we were out all day and not one Blink, It usually started right after start up, So I cautiously optimistic...

Share this post


Link to post
t a

I had blinking really bad the other day and it reminded me of this thread.  I realized it was only happening when I had something plugged into the 12v by the drivers feet, regardless of whether boat was running or not.  When using 12v in glove box, no blinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Wakesetter67

Ya unfortunately mine did it all the time regardless of any thing on or plunged in, I had this problem for 2 seasons and we tried everything, Finally my dealer told Malibu send me both screens, I dont wont to get over confident but we were out all day and it worked awesome, I have the new 7" screen coming but I dont want any other issues that I have heard like freezing up etc. So I told them leave it the way it is for now! 

Share this post


Link to post
gdmatson
10 hours ago, Wakesetter67 said:

Ya unfortunately mine did it all the time regardless of any thing on or plunged in, I had this problem for 2 seasons and we tried everything, Finally my dealer told Malibu send me both screens, I dont wont to get over confident but we were out all day and it worked awesome, I have the new 7" screen coming but I dont want any other issues that I have heard like freezing up etc. So I told them leave it the way it is for now! 

Please keep posting updates. Just had my 7" replaced and now the 12" is blinking.

Share this post


Link to post
Choiceind

Uhmmmm.. turn signal?  lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Wakesetter67
22 minutes ago, gdmatson said:

Please keep posting updates. Just had my 7" replaced and now the 12" is blinking.

Thats when mine started back at 60 HR they had a recall on the 7" screen and replaced it,  from then on Blinking, 

Share this post


Link to post
gdmatson
9 hours ago, Wakesetter67 said:

Thats when mine started back at 60 HR they had a recall on the 7" screen and replaced it,  from then on Blinking, 

But no blinking this last time out, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Wakesetter67
11 hours ago, gdmatson said:

But no blinking this last time out, correct?

yep first time in a year and a half, So I know for sure replacing the 12" so far has fixed the problem, I'm going out again on Tuesday lets see if it stays like that,  

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...