Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Need your help 2005 Malibu Sunscape 21 LSV

stewtex2011

Hi everyone. I am an avid slalom skier and wakeboarding beginner. I am looking to purchase my first boat. I have found a 2005 Malibu Sunscape 21 LSV with low hours. The boat is in great shape and the interior looks nice as well. I have a small family and we will be carrying 4-6 people on average for most outings. What are your opinions on this model for a first time buyer and avid water sports enthusiast? This boat will be used weekly and possibly more. 

In all likely hood, it's gonna be a great boat.  I think the only real question will be how much slalom skiing you do. But even recreational skiing should be great.

I'm sure others will chime in on these great boats.

Steve B.

Welcome stewtex!  I have the same boat, assuming the one you're looking at has the Diamond hull.  It's a bit flatter in the stern than the wake hull.  This is an important distinction and one you should check.

I was/am in the same situation you are and, after some research, bought a 2005 21LSV.  We slalom behind it regularly but is not a competition SL boat.  I used to ski courses behind a ProStar and I would not do that behind the 21LSV.  I ski the LSV at 15 off and about 32 to 34.  IMHO, that is the sweet spot.  We also do some wake boarding but probably do more surfing now than anything since you can surf on rougher water and it's easier for beginners.  You don't say what the boat has as far as wedge, ballast, speed control, stereo, etc.  All things you can add if they're not already there.  They'll all affect the value of the boat.  You'll need ballast if you want to surf but the boat has a good beginner wake board wake with just the wedge.

This site is a fantastic resource.  Suggest you search for threads on buying (especially if this is your first boat or first inboard) as well as the maintenance and modification forums.  I have learned a ton!  Of course, nothing beats a test pull and a good test drive and checkout by a trusted mechanic.  It is a 12 year old boat.

Bottom line: I was looking for a V drive I could aggressively slalom behind and ended up with the 21LSV - and am very happy with it.

I have no first-hand experience with the 2005 Sunscape, but I am a former owner of a 2004 Sunscape 21LSV.  The 2001-2004 models have a different hull than the 2005 and were widely regarded as Malibu's best skiing V-drive until the VTX was launched in 2007.  If you are slalom enthusiast, you may want to back up a year to 2004 or spend the extra $10k-15k to get into a VTX.  I did more research than anyone should have to do, before I bought my 2004.  I was very happy with it and my ski buddies were happy to keep it in the rotation with 3 other direct drives.

Thank you for the responses. The boat has the diamond hull and comes with a tower. No ballast or speed control. Boat has less then 200 hours on it. Can I add ballast and speed control later or is this quite expensive? 

Just now, stewtex2011 said:

Thank you for the responses. The boat has the diamond hull and comes with a tower. No ballast or speed control. Boat has less then 200 hours on it. Can I add ballast and speed control later or is this quite expensive? 

Perfect pass stargazer (speed control) would set you back around $1200 if you can install it yourself.

21 minutes ago, stewtex2011 said:

As OJ said, PP Stargazer is a really easy install on an 05 because it has the wiring all set to go under the helm.  It took me about 90 minutes.  Hardest part is getting the old tach out and the PP dash unit in.  Get the unit direct from PP and they'll make sure you get the right unit, right color/size gauge, and they ship right away. 

It sounds like you're starting with exactly the same boat I did a year ago.  As far as ballast, stereo, etc., I've probably done it to that boat and have posted several threads.  PM me if you want any more info.

** If you're going to install the PP then consider running the PP wire, ballast pump wires, other wires, new steering cable, etc. all at the same time.

if i remember correct, the 05 diamond was not as good for slalom as the 01 to 04 diamond. To get a better slalom v drive, I think you had to go forward a few years to 07 or whenever they went to a different hull again. Those do better than the other v drive generations. 

I have an '06 21 LSV Sunscape.

It has been a great family boat (and I've had it since new).  I slalom ski recreationally at 15 off and 32 mph.  Works well for me, but you should test ski it before you buy and decide for yourself.

Wake board wake with just wedge was sufficient to entertain my kids and their friends for years.  Fat Sacs can be added for more advanced riders. 

Surf wake was perfectly fine with reprop (Acme 537) and enough ballast (400 lbs in the bow, 750 lbs in surf side locker, 400 lbs on surf side seats).

Yes and starting to get into Wakeboarding more. Also the boat is a Sunscape not a Sunsetter. Is there a big difference?

You'd have to go all the way back to 2001, IIRC, to find a Sunsetter that is not a direct drive boat.  So, the big difference is that Sunscapes are all v-drive boats. 

Sunscape boats have a great interior layout, with wrap-around seating from port-side glove box all the way around to just behind driver seat on starboard side.  Great storage capacity (underneath all of those seats and on either side of engine in back, plus ski safe and under bow cushions) as well. 

Weight of engine sitting at back of boat on v-drives degrades slalom wakes but tends to enhance wake board and surfing wakes.

Have the seller take you out for a demo.  Decide for yourself.  But, IMHO, the only better "crossover boat" would be a 2007 or newer VTX (a 20 foot boat which might be a little tight with 4-6 people), or a VLX with Diamond hull (because its plumbed with built-in ballast tanks).