Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Break-in?

My 2016 T23 is due to be delivered in a couple weeks (can't wait!) and I'm wondering about break-in time for the motor as this is my first brand-new boat.  What does Axis recommend, and how many of you have actually followed it?  What's the worst that can happen by not following recommendations?  I know vehicles are almost constantly varying their rpms while driving, but have never heard of a break-in period for a new car.  

The break in procedures are in the manual  3-5 below says it is in the engine manual - anyone have a link to that?

http://www.axiswake.com/assets/files/2016%20Axis%20Owners%20Manual.pdf

Every car I've ever owned has recommended break in in the owners manual - most folks don't look or care though ;)

For instance - in my 09 dodge manual:

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS

A long break-in period is not required for the engine in

your vehicle.

Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).

After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or

55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the

limits of local traffic laws, contributes to a good break-in.

Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental

and should be avoided.

The engine oil installed in the engine at the factory is a

high-quality energy conserving type lubricant. Oil

changes should be consistent with anticipated climate

conditions under which vehicle operations will occur.

The recommended viscosity and quality grades are

shown in Section 7 of this manual. NON-DETERGENT

OR STRAIGHT MINERAL OILS MUST NEVER BE

USED.

A new engine may consume some oil during its first few

thousand miles (kilometers) of operation. This should be

considered a normal part of the break-in and not interpreted

as an indication of difficulty.

Edited by oldjeep

If I recall it is a series of running the throttle up to speed then back down to a certain % a couple of times. It spells it out pretty good in the manual when you pick up the boat. Make sure to have the dealer go over it also.

I'm in the middle of break in now on my Malibu and its it PAINFUL!!!  Not really but not being able to load the boat with ballast and put the wedge down is tough.  Fortunately my kids wakeboard slow and surf w/o ballast (just the gate), so I've been passing the time pulling them around.  Perfect b/c they like slow take offs and don't ride long before falling.  I didn't see it in the Axis or Crusader manual but the Malibu manual advises against anything ... fun.  haha  Take it easy, avoid WOT, avoid fast acceleration, don't stay at one RPM level for a long time.  Good time to understand the stereo and features of the boat.  

They run wot at the factory during their water test and based on ixfe's recent demo have no problem running ballast and wedge on a 200k boat with the supercharged motor with less than 10 hours on it. I am one of those people that run it like I normally would from day one on new vehicles, motorcycles, etc. 

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Pnwrider said:

They run wot at the factory during their water test and based on ixfe's recent demo have no problem running ballast and wedge on a 200k boat with the supercharged motor with less than 10 hours on it. I am one of those people that run it like I normally would from day one on new vehicles, motorcycles, etc. 

I agree 100%.  My only issue is that modern electronics store some of this information and IF something happens .. I'd hate to be in a position where I didn't follow the manufacturers recommendations.  

Which motor did you get? 

I am looking at my manual for my 2016 T23 and I have the standard motor, no upgrade and my manual is for a Crusader Challenger Series Engines. Not the Indmar one as linked to above. It does not mention that you are not allowed to tow or use the ballast.

5 hours ago, ORMailbuboater said:

Break in info is in the Indmar manual.  Here is a link to the manual https://issuu.com/ncarrera/docs/ford_6.2l_operator_s_manual

Look on Page 4-3.    

Apologies did not provide the correct reference.  Below is from the Crusader Engines web site.  Page 24 of manual discusses engine break-in period for Axis boats.  This is for all 3 Monsoon engines.

http://www.crusaderengines.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/L510032-14.pdf

ENGINE BREAK-IN PERIOD - 7 The break-in period of your engine is the first 25 hours of operation.

The procedures recommended by manufactures (PCM, Indmar, Ilmor) are all different.....but they all have (or had up to 2015 anyways) the same 5.7L SBC in the lineup.  Does that not say something?  Warm the engine up, put it through its paces for an hour or two to check for issues then use it as intended.  Do follow the recommended maintenance intervals.

We just picked up our new T22 from the dealer on Wedneday (been stored there since Dec. it was a long wait). We talked through the break-in period and their advice is similar to the manual with some common sense built in. No WOT for more than a minute, vary RPMs, generally stay below 4000rpm for extended periods, check fluids and get serviced between 10-20 hours. My dealer does the break-in service free-of-charge. I would assume others do as well.

IMG_1318_zpszp4gpp9o.jpg

Edited by IdahoAxis
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On April 22, 2016 at 10:35 AM, IdahoAxis said:

We just picked up our new T22 from the dealer on Wedneday (been stored there since Dec. it was a long wait). We talked through the break-in period and their advice is similar to the manual with some common sense built in. No WOT for more than a minute, vary RPMs, generally stay below 4000rpm for extended periods, check fluids and get serviced between 10-20 hours. My dealer does the break-in service free-of-charge. I would assume others do as well.

IMG_1318_zpszp4gpp9o.jpg

Sweet boat!

On April 21, 2016 at 2:06 PM, pauley71 said:

I agree 100%.  My only issue is that modern electronics store some of this information and IF something happens .. I'd hate to be in a position where I didn't follow the manufacturers recommendations.  

We followed the break-in procedures on our 2012 247, when the 6.0L ate spark #1, indmar delivered a new motor without question.  Yes our situation may have been a fluke and we had lots of other issues, however in the end Malibu did us right.  I want to believe that's due to following the manual for engine, vinyl, hull,...