Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Soft Grip floor on 16's

twlake

ordered the soft grip on my 25... as the deckadence template was not available at the time of order(for the 25 without the wake seat).  The soft grip gets a little hot and while it does clean up easily, it shows water stains and smudges a lot..... So, when the deckadence became available, I ordered that and placed it over the soft grip.  Looks much cleaner....now have both.  Hated to spend extra but the wife likes the deckadence better also.

I ordered it and had it put in my 15 VLX.  I love it.  I'll try to get some pictures up soon.   I was dewinterizing my boat and changing the oil this past weekend in the direct sunlight and it did not get nearly as hot as I thought it would (I went with grey).   I had deckadence in my last A24, which I really liked.  However, the problem with deckadence is that it tends to trap little bits of food/leaves/trash/hair. 

Mine is gray and I have not had too much trouble with it.  Was a bit easy to smudge but it seems to be just as cool as the carpet I previously had on my 2015.

• 4 weeks later...

We have it in Grey in our 23LSV.  It can get a little hot (not more than our old carpet did) but with the bimini up it hasn't been an issue plus when your getting in and out wet from the lake keeps it cool.  It does show water mark lines.  Also if you bring your dog on the boat be prepared for hair to get stuck around the edges of the softgrip, and the gap around the floor panel likes to collect all sorts of stuff.   All that said we would take it over wet carpet every day.  It cleans up easy including the water marks with a little soapy water, soft scrub brush, and hose down.  

Sorry about the box in the photo.

IMG_5115.JPG

We looked at it on a demo boat. It felt nice to the touch. It was that hot that day so can't address that. My issue with it was in the boat we were in, the floor had a few cuts in it. I asked about it and was told it was likely from dropped wake or surf boards edges hitting it. Not much to do after it gets cut but live with it. I passed.

• 1 year later...

My only complaint is it does get cut easily. I had a set of keys drop in which cut it. Other than that it doesn't get too hot and I think it looks better than the other options. I believe the soft grip flooring is made by seadeck.

We have no issues with it. In fact the wife thinks it's the best option we ordered on the boat. We have gray also and have had zero temp issues. It's light years better than wet carpet. I also think it can help with mildew issues. I would never order another boat without it.

That's interesting that you guys are saying no heat issues.  I've talked to several 2016 owners who say the factory soft touch floor can almost melt your feat.  I know of an M235 owner here in DFW who's ripping it out and replacing it with Gatorstep for this reason.  

I'm also under the impression that Malibu has used various suppliers, so maybe that's the difference.  :dontknow:

For the record, I had BLACK Gatorstep this past summer in the DFW heat and had no heat issues.  I was pleasantly surprised by this.  I ordered the black cuz it looked good, but was a little worried about heat.  

Glad I stuck with carpet now after reading this.. dogs hair..kids.. crackers.. I worried about that being difficult to clean..  carpet is super easy to clean with mini battery powered vacuum "shark" 

It does stay wet longer but it never really gets wet.. maybe in back a tad from folks getting in and out. Easy to take out and up to house for power wash. Granted it sure doesn't look as cool..

I've just seen several boats with the edges of that stuff peeling up which worried me. Granted I can't say which brand they were.. I'm sure some are better than others.. I worred about cheezits being trampled into the foam.. because somehow kids can't make them all into thier mouth or the dogs..I tried to stop the eating and drinking with toddlers but I just caved and we now have a blast.. towels on seats and vac the crumbs up at the end.. easy min or two to clean at end of day the carpet just holds and collects it all. 

Without kids and dogs I would have or may even change to the teak/foam Down the road when they are older..it just looks much better for sure.

We need the teak padded floors like the new pontoons! Now those are nice! Padded and dries  fast easy to clean!

FWIW, I would not want carpet.  Yea, my floor gets hot, but I can hose out crumbs, my edges aren't peeling, and when the floor is hot, the kids cool it off with a water gun.  Food doesn't get trampled into the "foam" at all.  And I have at least 3 kids under 7 out on most of our outings.  

I'm not sure what brand Malibu uses but I have Gator Step and we love it. It doesn't get hot, pretty easy to clean up and dries out super quick. We have trailered

a few thousand miles with boards on their sides on this stuff and no scrapes or scratches.

To clear things up, Malibu switched softgrip providers in 2016 & 2017. The 2017 & up soft grip is by far better. It does not get hot at all and has a much softer feel to it. However, the 2016 soft grip option does get very hot and is more rubbery/hard feeling to it.

I am a big fan of DeckADence, but not everyone is. It is super easy to clean. Pull it out, hose it down real quick, let it dry. Hose down the floor in the boat (might need a little scrubbing & soap) and you're done!

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old post, but was wondering if anybody knows what brand of flooring Malibu used in 2016?? Its the harder, and hotter stuff, but looking to add a few peace's in the bow.