Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hammerhead issues after having major service

Hi there.

We took our boat for a service (no issues at all previous to the service) about a month ago (05 vlx with closed cooled 383 with 600 hours, but only 100 hours on new long engine from Malibu Australia) and during this it had a major service as well as new leads, rotor cap and button, fuel pressure regulator and injectors removed and serviced.

Since getting it back its had a inconsistent miss when under load and has been stalling occasionally when coming from on the plane back to idle quickly and also randomly revs up a hundred revs or so when sitting at idle. Once it completely stopped without warning while we were boarding and another time stopped and was very hard to start as though it was flooded.

So its been back to mechanic  and he readjusted the timing as he said it was a little off but since taking it out today there's still a random miss around 4500 rpm and I've now noticed about a tablespoon of milky oil coming from rocker cover breather but oil seems clean still so hopefully its condensation . 

Before this service there were no issues and it was running fine. We were using it regularly so all in all its just got us hating our boat which we have always treated like gold and just want to sort it out and get back to enjoying it. We just want to sort out the few random issues that have emerged since the service. Any advice or tips on where to head or what to do would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Edited by BEN307

In my experience when a problem arises there is a very high probability that the root cause will be something done or changed from the previous use of the item, so in your case, a high likelihood of something from the service being the culprit.  I would get from the mechanic (directly from him) every step of his procedure and changes.  Hopefully, you will not get any resistance from him on root causing and correcting the issue.  I would also be wary that the cause is a part not yet replaced.  Good luck.

Some potential causes:  miss might be a plug wire not correctly installed, stall & random revs sound a bit like fuel pressure regulator not set correctly or perhaps an injector not installed correctly (air leak).

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Woodski said:

In my experience when a problem arises there is a very high probability that the root cause will be something done or changed from the previous use of the item, so in your case, a high likelihood of something from the service being the culprit.  I would get from the mechanic (directly from him) every step of his procedure and changes.  Hopefully, you will not get any resistance from him on root causing and correcting the issue.  I would also be wary that the cause is a part not yet replaced.  Good luck.

Some potential causes:  miss might be a plug wire not correctly installed, stall & random revs sound a bit like fuel pressure regulator not set correctly or perhaps an injector not installed correctly (air leak).

Hi woodski.

Thanks for the reply. Ill check the injectors Out. Plug leads all seem secure. Had the plugs out last night and they all seem clean as in the porcelain on the electrode is still pretty much white  bar the 2 back ones either side so the ones closest to the bellhousing. Not much different but noticeable. 

Thanks