Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Low Cost Tower Speakers

jcarr343

I have an 09 VLX with the illusion XS tower. I just need something that sounds good when at the beach. I don't care about hearing it while riding. I also prefer the cans to be while because my tower is also white, but black may also look good.

I need the amp and speaker combo cost to be under $1k (lower the cost the better). I could spend a little extra for a zone controller, but want to keep that at a minimum as well. May end up using the Exile Digital Media Center.

http://exileaudio.com/store/index.php/install-accessories/bluetooth/exmc1.html

Then you don't need an HLCD. But a larger speaker, like an 8", will really help the near-field sound quality. You could get the Wetsounds Icon8 X-version, a Wetsounds HTX2 amplifier, and the JL Audio MBT-CRX media center within your budget using the TMC forum discount. All first class gear.

Does that JL Audio MBT allow me to control volume from my Bluetooth device (iPhone)? 

Also, what is the member discount? Those products mentioned cost more than $1k. 

22 minutes ago, jcarr343 said:

Does that JL Audio MBT allow me to control volume from my Bluetooth device (iPhone)? 

Also, what is the member discount? Those products mentioned cost more than $1k. 

The JL Audio and Exile BT units function the same on most features.

Get with Odin @ Earmark Marine for a forum discount on the package.

Thinking about the Kicker KMS67 tower speakers. Any feedback on this system? Which pods should I buy to fit these on my Illusion XS tower?

Three things worth noting about the Kicker KMS67. They are an HLCD, so their primary focus would be wake range projection. They are a 4 pod setup. and lastly, When you compare their retail cost and factor in 2 pair of quality pods, they are in the 8" HLCD range like the Wet sounds Rev-8.  

I would consider a single pair of 8" coaxial, like the Kicker KM8. Kicker does make a quality pod, available in black or white for the KM8, however, it does not have the somewhat standard direct tower mount pattern. You need to modify the pod or fabricate a bracket. There are some 8" aluminum pods out there, however, you have to enlarge the opening and drill and tap your mounting holes. Still a trade off. Downside is some of those aluminum pods have a poor finish that wont last long. 

I would consider the Wet Sounds Icon-8X. Will bolt directly to the tower and also come in black or white. 

Can someone point me in the right direction for pods to hold that KM8? I would prefer to get them direct mounted to the tower. Where can I find pods for this?

Earmark Marine used to have some that they had powder coated locally. Quality finish, but we did have to enlarge the opening to fit the KM8. Contact them to see if they still carry them. 

6 hours ago, jcarr343 said:

Thinking about the Kicker KMS67 tower speakers. Any feedback on this system? Which pods should I buy to fit these on my Illusion XS tower?

(first post)   I know it a different sport but I had the kicker kmt65 on the back of my razor 1k 4 and they would scream in the woods. I had friends that spent big money on WS which I am not knocking, but mine would out preform them all day. They were being pushed with a 1000w marine amp. for over 2 years. I just sold it last week. now onto a Malibu

22 hours ago, MLA said:

Earmark Marine used to have some that they had powder coated locally. Quality finish, but we did have to enlarge the opening to fit the KM8. Contact them to see if they still carry them. 

26 minutes ago, jcarr343 said:

How about 8" pods for the KM8? Where can I get these to fit the illusion xs tower?

They might also be your source for the KM8. Package deal and maybe even a forum discount.

• 2 weeks later...

These are probably what Earmark used to sell. Actually one of our long time members here makes these speaker pods and this company mounts the pad to fit on the tower. They are spun aluminum. I've ordered just the cans from them before and had them powder coated myself. Don't confuse this company with Bullet Lines and Krypt audio.

Bullet Speakers Link.