Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering is really tight (04vlx)

My steering is tight someone said there is a  Grease fitting but i cant seem to find.it  loosens up  a little when it warms up but might need a new something idk any help will be  appreciate 

04 malibu vlx 

Edited by Cole69218

Disconnect the tiller arm from the steering cable.  Turn the wheel back and forth and see if it's freed up, if not more than likely the cable needs replaced.  You can then go to the rudder and twist it back and forth, if its tough to turn and you have no zerk fittings then you might need to look into a rudder bushing rebuild.  My zerks are on the port side inside the boat.

Edited by Ndawg12

I replaced my steering cable this past weekend on an 04 as well.  WOW, I had no idea that it was that bad.  I bought the boat used and the steering just kept getting stiffer and stiffer over the last couple of years.  Think it was the original.  Boat handles like a go kart now with easy one finger steering.  Like Ndawg stated the grease zerks are on the port side of my rudder as well.     

I had a really stiff steering wheel as well.  There were no grease fittings on the cable, or access to the cable to run some oil into it.  I had to take it to the dealer and have a new cable installed for about $330.  What a difference a new cable made.  I think water got in the back end of the cable at one time, and it rusted.  It has been fine now for about 7 years.  

On 4/19/2016 at 8:08 AM, blk93jeepzj said:

I replaced my steering cable this past weekend on an 04 as well.  WOW, I had no idea that it was that bad.  I bought the boat used and the steering just kept getting stiffer and stiffer over the last couple of years.  Think it was the original.  Boat handles like a go kart now with easy one finger steering.  Like Ndawg stated the grease zerks are on the port side of my rudder as well.     

1 hour DIY job.  Several threads here describing how.