Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast Switch Illumination

Ndawg12

Has anyone wired their reversibles to the OEM rocker switches?  The pumps function properly and the light will flash on right when the switch is hit but its just a flicker and stays off. There are no other aerator pumps or anything else connected to the switch.

12 hours ago, MLA said:

Are the switches at least a 7 or 8 pin DPDT switch with 2 lights? If so, the 2 lights should illuminate and stay on when the switch is activated in either direction.  

Yes, they are the exact same switches that the aerators for the rear hard tanks were on.  

12 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

Yes, they are the exact same switches that the aerators for the rear hard tanks were on.  

If the pumps are working normally then the ground line to/at the switch may have a bad connection.

If its a DPDT switched wired for a single reversible pump, then the ground circuit for the lights is shared with the pump ground. Working pump eliminated a ground issue. Eliminates a B+ supply issue as well> narrows down to a bad switch or wired incorrectly for this application. 

1 hour ago, MLA said:

If its a DPDT switched wired for a single reversible pump, then the ground circuit for the lights is shared with the pump ground. Working pump eliminated a ground issue. Eliminates a B+ supply issue as well> narrows down to a bad switch or wired incorrectly for this application. 

You are correct.  I was thinking of the switch I have for the surfgate system that has lights that have independent external + and ground.

Thanks so far guys, I thought I had it wired up correctly but I'll double check and make an ms paint illustration :biggrin:  Is there an amperage rating or max rating on those switches that I might be exceeding?

26 minutes ago, Ndawg12 said:

Thanks so far guys, I thought I had it wired up correctly but I'll double check and make an ms paint illustration :biggrin:  Is there an amperage rating or max rating on those switches that I might be exceeding?

The wiring setup for reversibles is different than it is for two aerator pumps so try checking that first. https://www.wakemakers.com/supra-moomba-ballast-switch.html

Are you sure the pump is running in both directions?  Another thought is voltage.  If the voltage drops when the pump draws current that might cause the lights to flicker - in which case you would want to check your switch, connections, and watch your dash volt meter when you turn on the pumps.  If all switches are acting the same I would not think it was bad contacts in the switches.  Unlikely they would all go bad.

• 5 weeks later...

So since the light flickers for a moment and the pumps appear to be operating properly I think I'm leaning towards the switch amperage being to small.  It's probably only a 10a and I need 20a.  Where's the best place to order these switches?

I used the switches that came with Wakemakers Ultra complete ballast system and also new switch covers.  I installed them with the existing switches.  They work great.

New switches are Left, Right and Front ballast in the pics below.

20160224_173800.jpg

20160224_173723.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well the new switches worked and the lights function normally now. The funny thing is that the old (oem) switches are 20a as well :dontknow: I guess they were starting to wear out.