Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

08 VLX - Potential Purchase

Kirk Rieber

I'm going to water test an 08 VLX tomorrow and was wondering if there are any specific issues to look for with this boat.  I sat in the boat last week and it had what I would describe as normal wear and tear.  Some board rash on the back, seams on the back cushions split.  Other than that it looks really clean and has a good service history.  What I don't know is about the electronics on this boat.  Anything to look out for?

Thanks, 

Make  sure everything works/responds when operating the MUX switches. Bilge pumps, ballast, lights, etc. 

Fill the ballasts and check if the float sensors are registering on the dash.

How old are the batteries? What condition are the amps?

check the tower bushings if Illusion tower

Does it have the LCR motor or upgraded Monsoon?

What will you be using it for? Skiing? Ask if it is a diamond or wake hull?

How are the trailer bunks and wheel bearings?

Edited by sonny20

Thanks, Sonny20, 

Those MUX switches are what I'm nervous about.  I'm used to a 99 mastercraft with good old fashioned switches.  

How do you check the tower bushings (it does have to illusion tower)?

I think the engine is the base model, but I don't know how to tell.  I did see that it has CATS on it, which would be a first for me.  

This will be a wake/surf/cruise boat with the occasional tube session for some of the kids at church/visiting family.  Pretty sure it has the wake hull.  I'll verify tomorrow.  

The trailer probably needs to have the bearings serviced and maybe the tires replaced.  Overall, it is in excellent condition since it looks like it was kept in a sheltered area and only used 1-2 times a year to take the boat to the dealer for maintenance.  Boat lived it's life on a lift.  If I get it, I'll put about 2-3 miles on it a week.  I live on a small lake, but don't have a lift.

Good to check those things, but most of them are pretty inexpensive fixes.  The bushings can sometimes be tested simply by pushing up on the tower and see if there is any play.  Pretty sure if it's the base engine, it will say Monsoon.  I have that, and I also Surf, Wake, and it's been good for all of that.  Think if it was me, the first thing I'd have done is a compression test on the engine.  Check the oil after about 10 minutes of running, and make sure it's still "oily looking" - if it's chocolate milk, there is water in it, and then you would run or get a MUCH better price.

Sundeck is in good condition,  Its just the rear corner seats that have torn from being stepped on.  You can tell which side the previous owner's always entered the boat from.  Dealer is replacing the vinyl on those cushions, as well as taking care of a loose drivers seat and a broken strut for the center piece of the rear sundeck.

What about the power wedge?  I've only seen two not work.  One was due to the paddle wheel sticking, and the other was on a 11 that simply says wedge fault every time you take off and are using the wedge. (wedge works btw, just get an error message for about 10 seconds.)

I'd be cautious of the mux and main board that controls everything / mother board, my 08 had mother board go out and one mux switch MB was $900.

my 08 has been great. I did have trouble with an axle on the trailer though, but called the manufacturer of the axles and they sent me 2 new ones free, even though the trailer was well out of warranty.

Test drive went great, only problem was one pump didn't work on the additional ballast that was installed.  Previous owner installed two jabsco pumps and two bags in the rear lockers.  All factory ballast worked, all Imux switches worked.    Put a down payment on it and I'll pick it up on Friday.  So excited.  I sat in my first Malibu in 2003 at the winter boat show and knew that this was  the boat I wanted.  It's taken 13 years to get me there, but I can finally join the club.

once I figure out how to insert a picture, I'll post one up.

Edited by Kirk Rieber
  • Like 1
5 minutes ago, Kirk Rieber said:

Test drive went great, only problem was one pump didn't work on the additional ballast that was installed.  Previous owner installed two jabsco pumps and two bags in the rear lockers.  All factory ballast worked, all Imux switches worked.    Put a down payment on it and I'll pick it up on Friday.  So excited.  I sat in my first Malibu in 2003 at the winter boat show and knew that this was  the boat I wanted.  It's taken 13 years to get me there, but I can finally join the club.

once I figure out how to insert a picture, I'll post one up.

Congrats!  Are you going to be boating in it or cleaning it next weekend?  Probably just a loose connection or fuse on that pump.

Great lookin Bu!  This might be one of the longest week's of your year...waiting!  I was surprised to hear the Jabsco pumps were the ones that weren't working.  Usually the factory Pirhana's that give out.  Easily replaced though so when it happens, don't worry!