Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

new to me F150 ecoboost twin turbo

90oldskool

Anyone else towing with one of the twin turbo ecoboost? I picked up a 2012 this weekend . One of my coworkers has one, tows a enclosed trailer for work and a Yamaha jet ski boat . Says he has no problems . From reviews , appears to be a good motor with 362 hp and 420 torque. 13,000 lbs towing . 

20160416_121307-1_2.jpg

• Like 2

I think there might be one or two people on here that tow with f150s:rofl:

The only issue most people complain about is fuel economy. As long as you don't expect high teens you should really like the truck! 

• Like 3

Thanks for the input guys. My trade in was a z71 avalanche with the 5.3. Seeing a 3.5 tt was a little hard to grasp . Drove the new chevy and the ford - and you see what my choice was. 

1 hour ago, 90oldskool said:

Thanks for the input guys. My trade in was a z71 avalanche with the 5.3. Seeing a 3.5 tt was a little hard to grasp . Drove the new chevy and the ford - and you see what my choice was. 

Sounds like you chose not to test drive the best 1/2 ton ;) 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 90oldskool said:

I just bought an 08 z71 avy and love it! Lol 

1 hour ago, hunter77ah said:

I just bought an 08 z71 avy and love it! Lol 

I had an 2003 , and looked a 2013 black diamond ... Just didn't have the same options as the f150 fully loaded lariat. also got the factory 100k warranty and ford financing at 2.9%

your tow rating is probably a lot less than 13K, not sure where you got that figure.  The max tow pack gets up to around 11K but not with the supercab or 4x4.

Those have more than enough power to pull just about anything.  The supercabs 4x4 tend to run out payload really quickly.  Next door neighbor managed to break a rear spring.  turns out to be more common than I thought.  I guess people put a lot more weight in the bed or on the ball than the truck can handle.

I'm on my second EB F150.  They both have been great trucks.  They pull super hard, are fun to drive, and look good doing it.  I do have some complaints though.  The stock tires SUCK!  The brakes seem to warp very easily and don't last long, but otherwise I've very much enjoyed them both and look forward to getting a 2017 when this lease is up.

• Like 2

I've been driving and towing with a 2015 F150 3.5 EB and it's been great - came from a 2010 Yukon Denali with the 6.2.  With county highway driving I got 18 mpg on winter blend and get 20 mpg on summer blend.  However towing it really sucks the fuel; ~10 mpg with a 2014 23 LSV.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, inlandlaker said:

I'm on my second EB F150.  They both have been great trucks.  They pull super hard, are fun to drive, and look good doing it.  I do have some complaints though.  The stock tires SUCK!  The brakes seem to warp very easily and don't last long, but otherwise I've very much enjoyed them both and look forward to getting a 2017 when this lease is up.

Around 40k miles before a brake job is what we are averaging at work, and don't push luck or you are buying rotors/calipers.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 9:48 PM, DAI said:

I've been driving and towing with a 2015 F150 3.5 EB and it's been great - came from a 2010 Yukon Denali with the 6.2.  With county highway driving I got 18 mpg on winter blend and get 20 mpg on summer blend.  However towing it really sucks the fuel; ~10 mpg with a 2014 23 LSV.

I have a 2015 and tow an Axis T23. I get similar numbers, maybe a little higher when not towing around 22 but I have a lot of highway miles

4 hours ago, MystiikVLX said:

have a 2015 and tow an Axis T23. I get similar numbers, maybe a little higher when not towing around 22 but I have a lot of highway miles

are you on 150 forums too? saw a blue/white axis posted today.

Saturday I got 14 mpg towing to the lake. and much better quality than the 5.3 GM I was using . 

Yes, I am on the F150 forums but I have a green metallic and gray T23.

14, nice. I have to take the boat from Ohio to Tennesse. Hope to get closer to 14.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2016 at 7:23 PM, MystiikVLX said:

14, nice. I have to take the boat from Ohio to Tennesse. Hope to get closer to 14.

running 91-93 octane helps when towing with these trucks from what i've read ...

15 minutes ago, 90oldskool said:

running 91-93 octane helps when towing with these trucks from what i've read ...

For my experience, I would agree.  The best for towing I've found is 91 octane non-ethanol .

On 5/3/2016 at 3:38 PM, 90oldskool said:

are you on 150 forums too? saw a blue/white axis posted today.

Saturday I got 14 mpg towing to the lake. and much better quality than the 5.3 GM I was using . 

I can get pretty good towing mileage if I tow below 60 mph.  No so good if headed East out of state on I-30 with its 75 mph speed limit I use premium fuel and get about 11 mpg with a tail wind.

Edited by Bozboat

The tailgates on these trucks are $4000 plus in parts to replace.  Lots of them end up on ebay.   To keep mine on my truck longer I put a screw radiator hose clamp on the right hand hinge and angled the screw down so that you have to crawl under the truck to access it with the gate closed.  With the gate open the clamp is in a position that can't be accessed with a screw driver.   Small ratchet probably could.  The idea was to slow the grab and go down.

One other thing I learned the hard way, the power mirrors are sold as one part only.   I cracked the trim on the right side backing into the garage once.  I think I paid close to $850 for a new right mirror unit. Since then I try to keep them folded in when parked.

• 2 months later...

I've also had two EB f150s and love them both! I leased a 15 Gmc z71 and that thing pulled like a bag of dicks with my EMPTY 20' dovetail. I hook up my 23 lsv to this 15' f150 and it just glides....so all you GM nut swingers can pull your heads out and realize you're behind times and that is even true if you have a 6.2/6.0. I have had all three American half tons and the GM is definitely last in the pulling category and ride.