Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Anybody tow with a Ford 6.2 gasser super duty?

jaciche

My brother is looking to buy a truck for hauling our current wakesetter, a 23' boat possibly one day, and a 4 place enclosed sled trailer. He wants a truck that will pull these without searching for gears all the time at highway speeds. Let's just assume that we're talking moderate grade hills as we live in WI. He is a big Ford fan, so he was looking at the powerstrokes, but doesn't like the 8k premium for that engine while dealing with the additional costs to maintain a DEF-equipped diesel. His questions for the crew are:

How does the ford 6.2 gasser haul loads in terms of being able to handle the weight under tow?

MPG while towing and just driving around town as well as highway driving?

Any known issues with that engine?

Thanks

2005 - 2007 Ford F250 6.0 could be a good alternative.  $15k for a good clean used one and $5k to bulletproof it.  Tows my 2015 VLX like a dream.  No hunting for gears stays in overdrive 90% of the time.  14mpg towing. 

This is what I initially advised him to do. He wants to buy new so he'll have a warranty to start off with, he really likes to interior of the new fords with the blue backlit gauges, know's that it's in excellent shape, and will hopefully keep it for 15+ years. A biggie is that his thrid garage stall that's long enough to hold a truck has a narrow garage door and he needs power folding mirrors to get this truck into the garage. He's not as mechanically inclined as I am, but willing to learn as things come along. If I want to get a diesel in the future, Ill be looking for a powerstroke 6.0 or LBZ duramax!

2 minutes ago, powderski14 said:

I've got one and love it.... Tows great.... Can't give accurate mpg because I have mud terrains that don't help mpg 

How much weight do you tow with it? Can it hold speed at 70 mph?

Edited by jaciche

I've towed my dads 24 ft enclosed car trailer no problem.... He just bought same truck and drove from Albany ny to Maryland no problem pulling same trailer with his Chevelle inside 

Isn't that 6.2L basically just a Raptor engine with a Truck camshaft? I imagine it would probably tow very well and a few engine mods would likely help it breathe.

Frankly, I was having the same thought. Get a gasser and build a sort-of Super Duty Raptor over time.

On 4/27/2016 at 4:39 PM, CumminsBu said:

Do you Ford fans think they will make a Eco Boost 5.0 or 6.2L. If the 2.7 and 3.5 EB are selling like hot cakes why not?

They have one already. 6.7L

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 8:15 AM, boardjnky4 said:

Isn't that 6.2L basically just a Raptor engine with a Truck camshaft? I imagine it would probably tow very well and a few engine mods would likely help it breathe.

Ahh, Ford has sure done a great job marketing that 6.2L as the "Raptor" engine.  That engine is no different than the regular F150 6.2L.  The F250 got the detuned (with different camshaft) version of the motor.  The motor is not special for the Raptor, which is a suspension/appearance package.

On April 29, 2016 at 1:40 PM, ConnollyCrew said:

They have one already. 6.7L

It doesn't run very well on gas!

• Like 2
On 4/30/2016 at 9:35 AM, Nitrousbird said:

Ahh, Ford has sure done a great job marketing that 6.2L as the "Raptor" engine.  That engine is no different than the regular F150 6.2L.  The F250 got the detuned (with different camshaft) version of the motor.  The motor is not special for the Raptor, which is a suspension/appearance package.

Interesting, I had no idea. I thought that the F-150 V8 was a 5.0 liter.

edit: I just tried to "build" a F-150 on the Ford site and there is no 6.2l available. Just the 5.0 Coyote engine. You have to choose F-250 in order to see the 6.2 gasser.

Edited by boardjnky4
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, boardjnky4 said:

Interesting, I had no idea. I thought that the F-150 V8 was a 5.0 liter.

edit: I just tried to "build" a F-150 on the Ford site and there is no 6.2l available. Just the 5.0 Coyote engine. You have to choose F-250 in order to see the 6.2 gasser.

There is no Raptor either. If mentioning the Raptor then you automatically go to the previous generation. Upcoming Raptor will be an Ecoboost. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Nitrousbird said:

There is no Raptor either. If mentioning the Raptor then you automatically go to the previous generation. Upcoming Raptor will be an Ecoboost. 

Oh I see. So you're saying that the previous generation F-150 V8 was the 6.2l. Got it.

And the raptor was a slightly tuned version of that engine.

7 minutes ago, boardjnky4 said:

Oh I see. So you're saying that the previous generation F-150 V8 was the 6.2l. Got it.

And the raptor was a slightly tuned version of that engine.

No, it was NOT a slightly tuned version.  Same 6.2L that was in other, non-Raptor F150's. Which means it wasn't the "Raptor" motor but rather just the Ford "Boss" 6.2L. Again, exactly the same. Not tuned any differently.  The whole Raptor crap on the Indmar motors is just marketing BS.  Raptor is a suspension and appearance package.

9 hours ago, Nitrousbird said:

No, it was NOT a slightly tuned version.  Same 6.2L that was in other, non-Raptor F150's. Which means it wasn't the "Raptor" motor but rather just the Ford "Boss" 6.2L. Again, exactly the same. Not tuned any differently.  The whole Raptor crap on the Indmar motors is just marketing BS.  Raptor is a suspension and appearance package.

got it

just found this too https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Boss_engine . Interesting stuff, I had no idea what all packages and engines have been available. It's all super convoluted, but when it comes down to it theres only a few different options.

On 5/1/2016 at 7:59 AM, powderski14 said:

The king ranch or platinum 150s can be ordered with the 6.2 if I remember correctly.

not in the current gen F150s.  Only V8 option is the Coyote.  Otherwise you get EgoBoost.

With towing that little weight, why not go with an F150?  

And to answer the question, CAFE will likely prevent there from ever being a V8 EcoBoost.  That engine would likely get lower MPG than the old 6.8 V10.

On May 2, 2016 at 10:38 PM, Nitrousbird said:

On April 30, 2016 at 9:35 AM, Nitrousbird said:

I'm not sure Ford can take the credit for that. I think Indmar was the one who went crazy with the marketing.

The Boss 6.2 made it's debut and was available exclusively in the Raptor for years before it was offered in the F150 or even Superduty so technically it is the "Raptor" engine. Just as appropriate as folks saying they have a "Corvette" engine. 

11 minutes ago, Tims said:

I'm not sure Ford can take the credit for that. I think Indmar was the one who went crazy with the marketing.

The Boss 6.2 made it's debut and was available exclusively in the Raptor for years before it was offered in the F150 or even Superduty so technically it is the "Raptor" engine. Just as appropriate as folks saying they have a "Corvette" engine. 

By "years" you mean a single year where it was the optional engine on the extended cab Raptor. 

With the Corvette motor, for many years, it at least had some minor differences in the motor vs what was put in the F-body, GTO, and other cars.