Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Directions for adding Fly High Pro X sacs to exising pumps?

tparider

Very cool! This seemed too easy to be true but I'm glad to hear how well it worked. Do you have to babysit the sac at all to make sure all the water drains back into the tank? Do you have the side of the sac with the two holes facing forward towards the front of the boat? How long would you say your fill and empty times are now?

Thanks!

I don't babysit the sac for emptying. It doesn't get 100% of the water out because yes, the two holes are facing the bow - but it does get 95% of the water out and I'm happy with that.

With regard to times, I'd say I'm at an additional 6-7 minutes for filling both rear sacs.

I'm almost finished with the quick connect system for the center ballast as well, so I'll update on how that goes...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tparider

• WakeGirl

• Ronnie

• Gordo

I wonder if this would work for the front ballast...

I'm sure you could do it, but in my case, if I did the exact same set up for the extra front or center sacs, I'd have the hoses out all the time (since the set up would be permanently changed with regard to the overflows) and I definitely don't want that.

we generally turn towards the side of the boat with the weight and definitely bring the throttle back to neutral as soon as the surfer falls and let the waves pass. turn slowly as well.

Why would you want to turn towards the side with the weight?

If you are weighting the port side (for surfing a forehand wave for a regular footed rider), you want to make turns to the right so that you are turning with the high, unweighted side of the boat on the inside of the turn. If you turn left in that situation, and while turning there are any rollers, another boat going by, or whatever the case may be, you are toast.

in our case we are typically surfing on the starboard (goofy toeside) - the lake here in austin is bi-directional - like a two lane road - stay to the right with oncoming traffic on the left. there is little chance of rollers from another boat coming as most boats will pass us to the port side.

i'll have to try turning with the weight to the outside again -- just seems like a lot more work for the boat.

we are not turning at speed - probably like 2mph or something - i can turn it around really quick and barely make much of an arc. just let the waves pass and give a little nudge on the throttle and it seems to turn almost in place... when you turn towards the non-weighted side seems like you have to do a huge arc as you are fighting against the weight on the opposite side... just a matter of personal preference.

btw - thanks for the post on this mod - i'm going to have to try it out!

Edited by smedman

OK - After consulting with Tracy I have an idea for a design for my 2004 VLX and want input from you guys!!! My VLX has the 2 ballast tanks in the rear compartments (above the floor), and one in the middle of the boat (below the floor), all of which is factory stuff and works great. I do not want to tear out my rear tanks, but I would like to supplement them for surfing. So - how to do that using the exisiting plumbing/pumps/switches??? Here's what I have come up with: The rear tanks fill via a thru hull pump and empty via a separate pump attached to the bottom of the tank - there's an overflow hose off the top that emptys just below the rubrail (letting you know it's full-no fancy gauges here Biggrin.gif ). So, I install a "T" at the fill pump (one side goes to hard tank, one side goes to fat sack in side locker). So both will fill simultaneously, right?? Then I install another "T" to the pump that empties the hard tank (one side goes to the fat sack, the other remains hooked to the hard tank), so now both will empty, right?? If I put a valve on the line(s) to the fat sack, I can then choose to turn them off and have the hard tank in its original configuration. If I open them, I can choose to fill the hard tank and the additional fat sack in the compartment too, correcto??? The overflow I leave the same. I think that when bothare full, the fat sack just fills to capacity and then the hard tanks overflow will serveboth. Then the final touch: fit the fat sack with detachable couplings so that I can take it out when I do not need it - maybe even be able to move it over to the starboard side when someone wants to surf there (duplicating my "T" system over there too). Since I just need the extra weight for surfing, this allows me to have only one fat sack, and I should be able to move it easily back and forth between the 2 rear lockers!!!! Yahoo.gif Anyone have thoughts about the size and shape sack that would fit back in the lockers??? I saw where Ronnie noted that his sack bowed out the divider in his boat. So, will this work??? Can anyone figure out a better way??? What size sack fits best in the rear comparment of the 2004 VLX??? Crazy.gif

Gordo, what is the reason you want to keep the hard tanks?

IMO...the sack/hard tank route is a PITA. I really don't think that with the hard tank and one sac stuffed in between the tank and the bulkhead for the motor area, you will get as much weight as removing the hard tank and adding one ProX sac. You can plumb in the ProX and use it like the hard tank with the existing pumps, hoses etc. Do it on both sides and be done with it.

If you don't want more weight than the hard tanks provides, then don't fill the sac all the way.

No valves to jack with.

Much more useable area in the rear lockers.

When you get ready to fill or empty the ballast just flip the switch.

Be able to remove everything in the lockers so they can dry out unlike the hard tanks being mounted and having wet carpet under them to mildew.

You and Ken - - :) I guess the reason is that I just hate to tear out something that works well and is factory installed. And also thinking way down the pike when I sell the boat, it could hurt my resale value ?? So, I thought, "gee, if I can figure out a way to have the best of both worlds....." Biggrin.gifBiggrin.gif

What sacs did you substitute for your hard tanks?? Did you just use the factory pumps/plumbing??

Edited by Gordo

My hard tanks are still in but they are coming out in the next few weeks, hopefully before the WSA weekend. Putting in ProX 750's. I'm not sure about your locker size though. Mines a 23 LSV.

Really the only time we need that much weight is when we have under 8 people.

I have a 23LSV too and I don't like the way the FlyHigh 750s push on the divider between the v-drive storage and the seating area. That piece was bending and since it is where the arm that raises and lowers the sundeck is screwed into, I didn't want to mess with it.

I stayed with stock and added 440s to the rear. Easy addition, and more than enough weight with those, plus 680 on the floor, plus 500 in the bow plus stock, plus the wedge.

I have a 23LSV too and I don't like the way the FlyHigh 750s push on the divider between the v-drive storage and the seating area. That piece was bending and since it is where the arm that raises and lowers the sundeck is screwed into, I didn't want to mess with it.

I stayed with stock and added 440s to the rear. Easy addition, and more than enough weight with those, plus 680 on the floor, plus 500 in the bow plus stock, plus the wedge.

Did you plumb the 440's into the existing system or do you fill them manually???

Gordon, Read back a few pages, he plumbed them in but I'm pretty sure he said his hard tanks are under the floor.

I've not measured the amount of water you can put in the sacs between the hard tanks and the bulkhead but don't plan on getting a sac full. I have been putting a 550 in my locker with the hard tank and probably only get it 1/2 full.

BTW...I've managed to loose a cap and plug for one of my sacs (waterbed filler type). Does anyone know where I can pick up another?

I think you are correcto - his are under the floor. Guess I will have to take Ken up on his offer to try out his sacks in my boat at Sommerville one weekend.

Gordon, Read back a few pages, he plumbed them in but I'm pretty sure he said his hard tanks are under the floor.

I've not measured the amount of water you can put in the sacs between the hard tanks and the bulkhead but don't plan on getting a sac full. I have been putting a 550 in my locker with the hard tank and probably only get it 1/2 full.

BTW...I've managed to loose a cap and plug for one of my sacs (waterbed filler type). Does anyone know where I can pick up another?

Are you talking about the blue cheapo connectors?

Yep the cheapo ones though mine are gray. It's just the cap and the plug that goes on under the cap. They have vanished from my boat/storage room.

I'll look & see if I've got any. Originally I thought you meant the blue type that you use for filling.

Thanks Tracie, I had a guest empty the sac a few weeks ago and I have no idea where the caps went. I expect they are in the lake.

Try the top of a ketup bottle....