Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How to fix Depth finder beep

jmiller2496

I have an 06 vlx. When it's started the depth finder reads .5ft and beeps. But I could push the button and it would stop and read the normal depth. Now it keeps coming back to .5ft and beeps. I can push the button to stop but it just comes back. Does anyone now what could be cussing this a d how to fix it. 

I'll bite even though I feel like I am the one who always responds to these.   It's either your transducer, depth finder module or your screen.  More than likely it's the transducer that has gone bad.  Bakes has/had a replacement for close to $200.  You'll have to call them.  I never could find it on the website.  From what I found, if it's the depth finder module it will read "bad" on the scren.  Never replaced mine but did all the research.  There is, unfortunately, no way that I have discovered, to turn off the beep. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by NCVride
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, NCVride said:

I'll bite even though I feel like I am the one who always responds to these.   It's either your transducer, depth finder module or your screen.  More than likely it's the transducer that has gone bad.  Bakes has/had a replacement for close to $200.  You'll have to call them.  I never could find it on the website.  From what I found, if it's the depth finder module it will read "bad" on the scren.  Never replaced mine but did all the research.  There is, unfortunately, no way that I have discovered, to turn off the beep. 

Hope this helps. 

I wasn't aware that bakes had a transducer available. Good info if that is still available. I thought they just had replacement modules

On 4/17/2016 at 1:53 PM, jmiller2496 said:

I have an 06 vlx. When it's started the depth finder reads .5ft and beeps. But I could push the button and it would stop and read the normal depth. Now it keeps coming back to .5ft and beeps. I can push the button to stop but it just comes back. Does anyone now what could be cussing this a d how to fix it. 

Search "depth module" from the home screen.  You're not the first that has had issues with the early to mid '00 depth finders :blush:

Threads ranging from diagnosing the module to replacing the transducer to replacing the whole system.  Most end up doing the latter - or doing nothing.

Unplug it and add an aftermarket unit like a Faria, Humminbird or Hawkeye. The parts for the stock ones are too expensive and aren't the most reliable thing in the world. 

I gave Bakes a call to verify that the stock transducers are no longer available and they confirmed that the cannot get with both the thru hull or glue down versions. They do have access to the modules and they are $400.

So for you guys that have installed the Hawkeye or the like, how do you keep the factory alarm from going off all the time without a working transducer hooked up to it? Does simply unplugging the transducer wire from the module disable the depth alarm?

Anyone found a good unit that matches the existing mounting hole or do all of them need to be drilled out to 2"?

1 hour ago, chris4x4gill2 said:

I gave Bakes a call to verify that the stock transducers are no longer available and they confirmed that the cannot get with both the thru hull or glue down versions. They do have access to the modules and they are $400.

So for you guys that have installed the Hawkeye or the like, how do you keep the factory alarm from going off all the time without a working transducer hooked up to it? Does simply unplugging the transducer wire from the module disable the depth alarm?

Anyone found a good unit that matches the existing mounting hole or do all of them need to be drilled out to 2"?

Wow.  This must be fairly recent.  Last year they told me they had a glue down you could splice in.  Seems wild to me that so many people have this same issue and you can't get a replacement.  I've tried unplugging and it still beeps at you. 

Since they have modules that are made to order, I would think they could be built / modified to accept a different transducer (Hawkeye maybe?) 

Sure it would still cost  $400 for the module and a $100 or so for the transducer, but if it would interface with the factory screen, i'd rather pay it than add a standalone depth gage. 

The main parts guy from Bakes is suppose to call me back tomorrow. Maybe he can offer an opinion or an alternative.

7 hours ago, chris4x4gill2 said:

Unplug and remove the module.  It's under the dash.  I think it's the 2nd biggest black box.

I could not find a transducer that matched the stock hole.  They may be out there somewhere.  Hard to use the stock hole anyway as the stock transducer is epoxied in and it does not come out easy.  You can leave it there and use a transducer that just glues to the inside fiberglass - or drill it out (threads on this on TMC) and put a 2" in there.

22 hours ago, NCVride said:

Wow.  This must be fairly recent.  Last year they told me they had a glue down you could splice in.  Seems wild to me that so many people have this same issue and you can't get a replacement.  I've tried unplugging and it still beeps at you. 

The info I was given yesterday was incorrect. Adam from Bakes called me back today. There is a glue down transducer available. The connector from the old plug will have to be reused and spliced into the wires from the new transducer. It is Malibu Part#3765017 and made by Medallion. It is not listed on the website so you would have to call to order. The price is $195.

I know everyone seems to thing the aftermarket units are better, and cheaper, but I would rather keep the stock system operational if I can. Since the storms we had this past winter, my wife is convinced that the lake bottom has changed drastically and is demanding that I fix the depth finder before we get the boat out this year. Guess I'll be biting the bullet soon.

Edited by chris4x4gill2
1 hour ago, chris4x4gill2 said:

The info I was given yesterday was incorrect. Adam from Bakes called me back today. There is a glue down transducer available. The connector from the old plug will have to be reused and spliced into the wires from the new transducer. It is Malibu Part#3765017 and made by Medallion. It is not listed on the website so you would have to call to order. The price is $195.

I know everyone seems to thing the aftermarket units are better, and cheaper, but I would rather keep the stock system operational if I can. Since the storms we had this past winter, my wife is convinced that the lake bottom has changed drastically and is demanding that I fix the depth finder before we get the boat out this year. Guess I'll be biting the bullet soon.

The issue that tripped me over to replacing the whole system is that you don't know if the module is bad until you hook up the new transducer (non-returnable with its cut cable).  I still have the module and have no idea if it is functional or not, so if you get the transducer and the system still does not work, and you want to try another module, send me a PM.

That was my concern as well. From reading here and speaking with Andrew at Bakes, typically if the issue is with the module itself the screen will read "BAD" on the depth setting. If it reads .5ft or 400ft (extremes of the transducers range) it is likely the transducer. Going off of that, my issue (hopefully) is with the transducer.

18 hours ago, chris4x4gill2 said:

That was my concern as well. From reading here and speaking with Andrew at Bakes, typically if the issue is with the module itself the screen will read "BAD" on the depth setting. If it reads .5ft or 400ft (extremes of the transducers range) it is likely the transducer. Going off of that, my issue (hopefully) is with the transducer.

I am in the same boat you are, has anyone actually spliced a new one in yet? are the wires the same color ect? 

I was getting ready to buy a chartplotter/gps combo for depth but this sounds much cheaper. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back in town for a while now and about to get started on this. I have the glue down transducer on order. It will require splicing the old plug onto the new wire per Andrew at Bakes. Drop shipped today from TN so I should have it in time to install this weekend.

• Like 1

Well, as you can see below, Medallion/Lowrance is aware of the issue and this is the approved solution.

Screenshot_2016-05-13-08-25-10_zpsjtbp0j

That insert continues for 7 pages total with pretty clear instructions and photos on how to splice the connector onto the new transducer. It looks to be pretty straightforward. If I am reading it correctly, the old transducer wiring only consisted of two wires, a coaxial and a unbraided ground wire. The new transducer wiring harness includes what looks like 5 wires total. All but the red (positive) and black (negative) are unused and are to be cut off per the instructions. I'll see how these instructions jive with real world tonight.

• Like 1

yes, glue down. shoot thru the hull. No need to drill a new hole or enlarge the existing hole like with the Hawkeye.

And any Malibu dealer should be able to get this part for you. I ordered from Bakes, but it was drop shipped directly from Malibu in Tennessee.

+

wouldn't be hard, I'd guess either low expected demand or the appropriate connector is no longer available. 

Also, I'm not sure what effect adding length to the harness with an adapter would have. The instructions say to cut equal lengths from each harness.

Edited by chris4x4gill2

So here is the original plug wiring. Just two wires. One coax with a ground twisted around it. I already stripped the insulation from the coax here. 

20160513_205041_zpsdgb97rca.jpg

And here is the wire for the new transducer. It has two sets of wires inside, first set has red/black the second has three wires. All you use is the red and black.cut all of the others off. 

20160513_205405_zpszl9jrxuo.jpg

Solder the coax to red, and ground to black. Add some heat shrink before connecting. I used heat shrink on the positive, then coated both in liquid electrical tape. Then I sealed the whole thingroup with another larger heat shrink tube. One mistake i made was I should have stripped the main insulation back farther so the smaller heat shrink had room to grip on the coax insulation.

20160513_210020_zps4jqad6hq.jpg

Here you can see the old transducer. I put the new on behind it, in front of the pump.

20160514_140438_zpsjwm1cllj.jpg

I wiped it down good with alcohol and then scuffed with a sanding pad. I also scuffed the bottomg of the transducer. Wiped both surfaces down with alcohol again.

20160514_140336_zpsuxs02oy1.jpg

I used Silicone to make a dam around the spot the transducer will go. Then used a two part Marine epoxy to clue the transducer down. This dries hard, harder than 5200 so it should make for a better mount for the transducer. 

20160514_140404_zpsp14nujgc.jpg

I made a mess with this stuff. It's thinner than I expected. I also made way too much. 1/4 tube would have been plenty. It was hard to get the transducer to sit flat. I had to zip tie the wire to a hose to keep it flat and keep pressure for several minutes.

• Like 2

First test shows it works! Reading should be fairly close. I need to verify the reading and see how to calibrate the depth reading if needed. Had the boat out for about 3 hours. No shallow alarms. It did read 400 a few times while at speed. No alarm for too deep though so I guess thats an improvement. At idle the reading seemed to be accurate. We will have to spend more time with it before I can say how well it all works. But so far so good.

20160515_123610_zpseosvd8hb.jpg

• Like 2