Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

battery life

foiler1

It depends on many factors. How it is stored in the off season. Kept on a charger or not. How often it is deep cycled ect... Five years is probably the norm for a properly cared for battery. You are doing very well.

Just replaced my battery last year for the first time.  Using it to power an inverter the previous winter finished it off.  Used only for starting, no stereo or pumps.

1 hour ago, Pnwrider said:

I like to replace every 4-5 years. Learning your battery is toast the first day of a week long vacation really sucks. 

I have a two battery system, both were 4 years old last summer. Battery one died on vacation, battery two kept me moving, but I paid the vacation premium to have two new batteries delivered to me on the lake. Shoulda woulda coulda....

I just replaced 11 year old Optima Blue tops in my old boat (a friend bought it).  They were not even kept on a charger, so that is quite the miracle.  Imagine my surprise when I took a look and found the batteries I had put in there 11 years ago.  

I understand that Optima got a bad name after 2005 for producing less reliable batteries for a few years, I am hopeful they have pulled it together, because obviously the 2005 batteries were incredibly well made.  

Kept on a charger, I would think you can get a few more years than if you don't.  

I do not use an onboard charge and I got 3 years and 400 hours out of and dual battery (both starting batteries) set up.  I was going to install a charger but my storage situation is wacky.  At $75ish each, I figure that is part of the cheap maintenance program.  I have a tiny stereo system.  

im running two of the new interstate agm's. an mt7 and a 31m-agm, awesome so far but a little pricey. we've been running the mt7's in race cars , no alt and don't have to charge between rounds.