Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

3 outlet heater in a VTX?

Badger

If I were to get a heater as part of a TMC group buy, can someone confirm for me that I could fit a 3 outlet heater with 2 pull out snorkels, under the dash of my '15 VTX?  I was thinking one snorkel coming out the walkway with the second under the dash.  I've been told that configuration may not fit, but I'm skeptical and would like to know if anyone has that setup.

You can easily make it work with a few mods. Where is the core mounted on your boat? 

Having the snorkel in the walkway is a PITA. There's always gear or a cooler in the way.  I built my subwoofer under the dash with the snorkel in it. Works great. 

IMG_20160209_113231057_zpssu2ajzv0.jpg

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

No core yet.  That's the crux of the question.  I don't have a sub and really no plans to add one, as I'm not a stereo guy.  I find it hard to believe that I can't fit the box with the core and blower under the dash with 2 snorkels and a fixed vent all in the same area.

I did read last night about somebody locating their core under the seat behind the driver.  I may also consider that location since I don't really need the storage.

Edited by Badger
ahopkins22LSV
3 hours ago, Badger said:

No core yet.  That's the crux of the question.  I don't have a sub and really no plans to add one, as I'm not a stereo guy.  I find it hard to believe that I can't fit the box with the core and blower under the dash with 2 snorkels and a fixed vent all in the same area.

I did read last night about somebody locating their core under the seat behind the driver.  I may also consider that location since I don't really need the storage.

That may be a good option. It would be easier to keep the pullout tubes in the main cabin. Might be tougher to have one for the driver though.

FWIW, my build sheet says that mine is a 3 outlet heater - however none of them seem to pull out.   2 under the drivers console and 1 in the walkway.  Maybe I'll try turning it on today when we go out and see if it even works.

WP_20160415_21_08_11_Pro.jpg.64b440322a7

WP_20160415_21_08_20_Pro.jpg.24948b91402

ahopkins22LSV

@oldjeep That is the factory setup. That is a 3 outlet, but they way they set it up is stupid IMO. 2 fixed under the helm is over kill. The tube in your walkway does appear to be a pullout tube. They can stick. One of my spring projects is to change one of my fixed outlets under the helm to a pull out.

Just now, ahopkinsTXi said:

@oldjeep That is the factory setup. That is a 3 outlet, but they way they set it up is stupid IMO. 2 fixed under the helm is over kill. The tube in your walkway does appear to be a pullout tube. They can stick. One of my spring projects is to change one of my fixed outlets under the helm to a pull out.

Guess I'll have to look closer to see if it pulls out somehow, never used the heater. 

It does pull out, but not as far as I would like. It will just reach someone sitting in the observer's seat closest to the walk through, but no further.

7 hours ago, Badger said:

Mt VTX is the 3 outlet as well.  This spring I am going to run one of the drivers footwell around behind the driver seat and out in front of the cooler.  A couple pieces of hdpe and carpet should work fine I would think.

8 hours ago, Badger said:

If no sub, then you have way more room for the heater & 2 snorkels.

Don't you have a cooler behind the driver? The VTX has a shorter seat there with less room than the bigger boats.

Bill and Badger, what about running the tube in front of the cooler and making a basic carpeted cover for it?  The other place I have seen a second heater in a vtx was behind the cooler under the corner seat.  Its not far to run water lines from there.

Ken, I have a 3 outlet under the dash in mine.   I think the two pull outs are in the walkway.  Not ideal but limited space on the vtx.  You can check it out when I get the boat out (hopefully 2 weeks).

Everyone, thanks for the tips.  I've got the boat home in the driveway now and can really do some thinking about this.  I don't think there is a question that I can get it to fit somewhere.

I used one of the two from under the drivers seat and rerouted it to one of the cup holders behind the drivers seat.  i purchased extra hose and a pullout tube from heater craft.  Pulled out the cupholder and had to trim the hole a bit to fit the pullout tube. That pullout reached all the the back seats. 

ahopkins22LSV
2 hours ago, JEFFR said:

I used one of the two from under the drivers seat and rerouted it to one of the cup holders behind the drivers seat.  i purchased extra hose and a pullout tube from heater craft.  Pulled out the cupholder and had to trim the hole a bit to fit the pullout tube. That pullout reached all the the back seats. 

That's an awesome idea. With the extra length of hose do you notice any heat loss?