Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Opinions on amp mounting

NCSurfing

Hey guys. This past winter, I rebuilt my stereo and when I redid my amp board, I screwed the amps from the amp side into the board (the black abs plastic or whatever it is). Since then, I've seen some work here which seems far more secure - using bolts from the back and a nut on the amp side. I've got some time this weekend....would you re-do it for fear the current method will strip loose with all the bouncing or is it fine?  Certainly no harm to redo it however, the thought of disconnecting, pulling it out and rewiring the back of the board, etc is painful. 

image.jpeg

Edited by NCSurfing

if everything works as-is I wouldn't change a thing.  The reason that I started doing it that way was that invariably I'd want to change things up or move them around.  It's also way easier to mount the amps in the observers compartment.  But screws into the amp board are going to be very secure.  No reason to mess with what's working till you need to.

I agree. If the HDPE is at least 1/2" thick then it should have no issue holding that weight via #8 screws even against considerable chop and vibration. And in this case, fan-cooled amplifiers are rather light. The double-nutted bolt method is really effective if you need to remove & reinstall something blind. It's really easy to feel your way in a restricted area in adding a washer and a nut versus balancing the amplifier and aligning screws. Also, the bolt method is handy if you are having to repetitively R&R something to gain access to the controls during tuning adjustments, but that requires re-doing the wiring so that you have a service loop. I can't see where the revision is worth it in this case.    

Edited by David

As much as I love tinkering in the boat, mounting an unmounting the amps and amp board inside the ski locker is one of my least favorite things. Being a bigger guy.

not to mention that moment when securing the board into the blocks and praying to the Malibu gods that you hit the block and not through the hull

Edited by Stevo
8 hours ago, Stevo said:

As much as I love tinkering in the boat, mounting an unmounting the amps and amp board inside the ski locker is one of my least favorite things. Being a bigger guy.

not to mention that moment when securing the board into the blocks and praying to the Malibu gods that you hit the block and not through the hull

So funny Steveo...this stressed the crap out of me as well.  I must have measured 15 times before I went for it.  I'm leaving it as is!!

1 hour ago, MLA said:

^^^^except they dont stock anything wider. 

Yep, but two of them work well - with better ventilation and easy to run power and speaker wires behind.