Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

IO Upgrade!!

seattleboating

FWIW, I own an '06 LSV 21 (aka Sunscape).  Pretty sure all the Sunscapes come on diamond hulls, and they do not have plumbed-in ballast.

Personally, I love mine.  I primarily ski behind it (recreational slalom only), and it is a huge improvement over an I/O (I owned 2 before I bought my Malibu), even at slower speeds, but especially when you bump the speed up above 30-31 mph.

The wake boarding wake with just the wedge was plenty of wake for my kids and all of their friends, though we also began using Fat Sacs in the storage lockers and bow for the more advanced riders. 

The boat surfs great too, at least IMHO, but it takes an additional Fat Sac on the surf-side passenger seats (I changed propellers when we started adding all the extra ballast, from my stock Acme 381 to the 537).  Having said that, it became such a hassle to fill, empty, and relocate all those Fat Sacs that, over time, I have pretty much just given up on surfing. 

As far as price goes, I think that boat is pretty high.  Brand new, back in 2006, after adding tower and bimini, I was out the door for $41K.  If I were to sell (and I'm extremely OCD about my boat),  I'd be hoping for $30K, even with a boat that I would consider to be in very good to excellent condition.  On the other hand, I don't know how much he spent on his new stereo, he has the Monsoon engine (an upgrade that cost, at the time, maybe a couple of thousand over the base LCR), and he has what looks like an Extreme trailer (also an upgrade compared to mine).  $30-32K would be a very fair price for that boat without the stereo, but, if he has just recently put in a $5K system, and that is important to you, maybe its not that bad of a deal.

I don't know what "recently installed sacks" means, and there are no drain holes seen in the pictures on that boat (compared to a stock VLX), but if he has actually plumbed in his ballast bags, that would also add value to that boat, bringing it closer to his asking price.

Edited by srab

#1 is a Diamond hull 21LSV.  The boat is identical to mine.  Manual wedge, no MLS.  Good slalom wake and good surf weight with ballast and/or wedge.  Great surf wake if you put gates on it!

You can see it has a ski locker (no MLS) from the long floor hatch.  Good for skis and you can put another big bag in there for surfing or riding.  We keep the plastic locker floor liner on top of the bag and throw skis on top of it.   IMHO, in that era boat, lack of built in tanks is a good thing since it makes adding your own ballast system simpler.

And it looks very clean and well taken care of.  Price looks fair too.  Will probably sell for @ $35k.

Please keep in mind that 2006 has the 2005 dash. I have heard that SOME came that way, but it takes away all of the value of the newer model year (newer dash is a big improvement in many areas). It could be a mislabeled 2005. The 2005 that you listed has a suspect interior. It could be lighting it could be stains / mildew.

I bought my 05 in January for under 26k. It has 1000 hours and it's spring now, but I think you can find lower prices if you wait and jump on them.

Edit: That 05 for 32k would be worth it to me. I bet they will deal with you. Most people looking in the 05-08 range want the 06: drive by wire, slightly improved dash and power wedge. usually makes the 05's a bit more attainable (they all ride/surf the same perhaps with the exception of the power wedge).

Edited by 95echelon
On 4/25/2016 at 5:57 AM, srab said:

FWIW, I own an '06 LSV 21 (aka Sunscape).  Pretty sure all the Sunscapes come on diamond hulls, and they do not have plumbed-in ballast.

Personally, I love mine.  I primarily ski behind it (recreational slalom only), and it is a huge improvement over an I/O (I owned 2 before I bought my Malibu), even at slower speeds, but especially when you bump the speed up above 30-31 mph.

The wake boarding wake with just the wedge was plenty of wake for my kids and all of their friends, though we also began using Fat Sacs in the storage lockers and bow for the more advanced riders. 

The boat surfs great too, at least IMHO, but it takes an additional Fat Sac on the surf-side passenger seats (I changed propellers when we started adding all the extra ballast, from my stock Acme 381 to the 537).  Having said that, it became such a hassle to fill, empty, and relocate all those Fat Sacs that, over time, I have pretty much just given up on surfing. 

As far as price goes, I think that boat is pretty high.  Brand new, back in 2006, after adding tower and bimini, I was out the door for $41K.  If I were to sell (and I'm extremely OCD about my boat),  I'd be hoping for $30K, even with a boat that I would consider to be in very good to excellent condition.  On the other hand, I don't know how much he spent on his new stereo, he has the Monsoon engine (an upgrade that cost, at the time, maybe a couple of thousand over the base LCR), and he has what looks like an Extreme trailer (also an upgrade compared to mine).  $30-32K would be a very fair price for that boat without the stereo, but, if he has just recently put in a $5K system, and that is important to you, maybe its not that bad of a deal.

I don't know what "recently installed sacks" means, and there are no drain holes seen in the pictures on that boat (compared to a stock VLX), but if he has actually plumbed in his ballast bags, that would also add value to that boat, bringing it closer to his asking price.

On 4/25/2016 at 6:52 AM, minnmarker said:

#1 is a Diamond hull 21LSV.  The boat is identical to mine.  Manual wedge, no MLS.  Good slalom wake and good surf weight with ballast and/or wedge.  Great surf wake if you put gates on it!

You can see it has a ski locker (no MLS) from the long floor hatch.  Good for skis and you can put another big bag in there for surfing or riding.  We keep the plastic locker floor liner on top of the bag and throw skis on top of it.   IMHO, in that era boat, lack of built in tanks is a good thing since it makes adding your own ballast system simpler.

And it looks very clean and well taken care of.  Price looks fair too.  Will probably sell for @ $35k.

Exciting!  The seller & I have agreed on a price for '05 LSV 21 subject to a test drive & mechanical inspection.  I'm driving down for the test drive tomorrow.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/5553393741.html

Two follow up questions:

1. The current owner mentioned (I appreciate his full disclosure) that the previous owner put a wrap on the boat (black w/ blue lines) potentially over some scratches near the bow.  Anything to be concerned about (seems to low for beaching... maybe a dock 'event')?

2. I put in a call to the Malibu dealer in the Portland area to see if they do a buyer's inspection (compression, engine codes/diagnostics/etc.), which it turns out is where the seller had the boat serviced.  Should I be looking for a different dealer/mechanic to do the inspection?  Any recommendations?

Thanks for the continued support -- getting closer!

Hmm.  Don't know much about wraps, but I've heard they have a pretty finite lifespan, maybe 3-8 years.  Unlike well-maintained gelcoat. 

Curious about exactly when the wrap was done, and how many years before it'll have to be redone.  You might ask the dealer how much it will cost, when the time comes.  Could be $1000 or more.

Personally, I think I'd be content having the same dealer/mechanic check it out.  They should be familiar with the service history, and I don't think they'd have any incentive to misrepresent what they find.  In fact, they'd probably be more likely to point out any deficiencies, hoping to sell you something off their lot instead.

Hope you make the deal!

You're starting with exactly what I did. I've added sacks, gates, sound, and racks. Nice boat for crossover use.

I can't add anything that a mechanics inspection wound not uncover. Enjoy the ride.

On 4/30/2016 at 8:41 AM, seattleboating said:

2. I put in a call to the Malibu dealer in the Portland area to see if they do a buyer's inspection (compression, engine codes/diagnostics/etc.), which it turns out is where the seller had the boat serviced.  Should I be looking for a different dealer/mechanic to do the inspection?  Any recommendations?

This is a good thing to go to where the service has been done.  Request the service records.  Should show what has been done and it there was any unscheduled maintenance done.  Active Water Sports has been around for a long time.  Reputable dealer,  you should get an unbiased report on the boat.  

4 hours ago, ORMailbuboater said:

This is a good thing to go to where the service has been done.  Request the service records.  Should show what has been done and it there was any unscheduled maintenance done.  Active Water Sports has been around for a long time.  Reputable dealer,  you should get an unbiased report on the boat.  

I just bought my 05 from them sight unseen. I literally had a shipper move it cross country. I cannot say enough about Mason there. Everything was as described and their inspection caught things that I might have missed.

I think the parts guy was smoking some medical marijuana though. Of the 10 parts I needed to add my front ballast, only one of them was right (the tank itself).

• 2 weeks later...

Still looking!  I test drove the Portland boat but it didn't show nearly as well as the photos and seemed like it hadn't been babied through its entire life.

Contemplating these two:

Any thoughts on the first (price)?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, seattleboating said:

Still looking!  I test drove the Portland boat but it didn't show nearly as well as the photos and seemed like it hadn't been babied through its entire life.

Contemplating these two:

Thanks!

I think both are overpriced by 5-9k. Those boats sold new for 55ish. 

Edited by 95echelon
16 hours ago, seattleboating said:

Contemplating these two:

Thanks!

Apparently he ditched the Metcrap tower to run a Samson. Pretty popular option with lots of accessories available.  Lots of stereo. All the ballast. Power wedge. Only 216 hrs. If it looks as good as it sounds, it is a nice boat.