Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

IO Upgrade!!

seattleboating

I’m finally looking to join the ranks over bu owners after having owned an IO run-about for many years.  I’m looking specifically at used 21’ Malibu v-drives for boarding/surfing & have uncovered a few within driving distance.

Any thoughts on these boats:
1) ’04 VLX / 390 hours / $37K – http://kpr.craigslist.org/boa/5527245705.html
Beautiful looking boat but seems high priced relative to other listings…

2) ’06 V-ride / 250 hours / $32K - http://spokane.craigslist.org/boa/5523523401.html
No wedge but has mid/aft ballast

3) ’01 VLX / 110 hours / $25K - http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bod/5525169422.html
Low hours attributed to sitting in storage for a few years… but current owner ran all of last year
Room in budget to add sacks & aftermarket tower…

Thanks for the help!

I bought my first Malibu VLX in 2014 for $33,000. It was fully loaded with 180 hours and in pristine condition. If I were you, I'd find an 05 or better. They changed the hulls in 05 on the Wakesetter. The V-Ride is the 04 and older Wake Setter hull. Whatever floats your boat, they are all good but there were huge improvements including built in ballast and the MLS system starting in 05 and newer. The 05's and newer are also a slightly wider hull from my recollections. Definitely worth it to try and find one if you are that close to being able to score one with those budgets. I also sold my boat after a year of flawless ownership and 380 hours for $2,000 more than I got it for. I only sold it to get a 2011 23LSV. But my first Bu got me hooked man. 

Edited by TexasTexas95
  • Like 3

My thoughts

1) Looks like a nice boat.  Well maintained from the pictures.  Well optioned.  Yes it is more money but looks worth it.  

2) Nice but value is not there like the 04 VLX.  Slightly lower hours appealing. V Ride series were the "lower entry point option of the day"  Axis vs Malibu.  Not as well appointed.  

3) Low hours is nice.  I see no tower on the boat.  Missing something?  If it were me I would pass.  Worth looking at if close by.  

1.  Seems high to me but looks nice.

2.  Looks like it has not been cared for all that well to me...hard for me not to compare to my own of the same model/year

3. No tower or cruise control...have to factor the additional cost of that plus if it needs ballast added?

I would keep looking or see how much the guy with boat one is willing to drop.

Good luck!

9 minutes ago, Stevo said:

Dang, that one looks very nice.  Good find!

1 is over priced, that's a 30k boat on a good day. 

2 looks like the vinyl needs a little help but it's priced close to where it should be.

3 is overpriced as well.

If you're looking to surf, Stevo posted the best boat in the 30k price range. Since its at a dealer I'm sure there is some wiggle room, probably worth it to call Darren at nw inboards and find out. If you are looking to surf and your budget is mid 30s, I would be looking at an 05+ vlx or an 04+ lsv going forward. If you need any help I'm probably local to you and would be happy to give a second opinion. Heck I might have to run out to Issaquah tomorrow and check out that 247.

Descent boats, great prices, and in my neighborhood! I'm going to stick to my same old chit..... Get that boat with a Titan tower & you might have a lot less problems. 

Let me know if you needs some eyes on a boat anywhere near Spokanistan...

7 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

247 is gone. I was going to buy it tomorrow but it sold tonight. :cry:

Bummer,  

Well your wheels are in motion, and it sounds like your are getting a new boat so you got that going for you. 

Keep your head up.

1 hour ago, TexasTexas95 said:

Pwnrider. Is your heart set on a 247 or what? I'm in Texas but I'll keep an eye out also. 

Nope, that was going to be an impulse buy. I was actually planning on ordering an axis in the fall but that 247 had low hrs, 8.1, and would've saved me a lot of money. I'll start my own thread if I start seriously looking again. Sorry op for the hijack.

Late to this party but many 05 vlx's were sold for under 30k over the winter. The season might make it harder but those listings all seem high. 

12 hours ago, Lance B. Johnson said:

OP-

You will be much happier with your purchase if you get an 05+ VLX for around the same money you are looking at!  Trust me on this.

Thanks all for the feedback/help.

• The first boat sold quickly (implying close to asking?).
  • The 247 was intriguing but beyond the capabilities of my tow rig.
  • I think that this has helped honed my search for an 05+ VLX.

Next up -- search these archives for buying a boat long distance (i.e. shipping)?!

• Like 1
16 hours ago, seattleboating said:

Thanks all for the feedback/help.

• The first boat sold quickly (implying close to asking?).
  • The 247 was intriguing but beyond the capabilities of my tow rig.
  • I think that this has helped honed my search for an 05+ VLX.

Next up -- search these archives for buying a boat long distance (i.e. shipping)?!

Great! It is all around a better performing boat.  Surf, Wakeboard, size etc.

• Like 1
On 4/20/2016 at 0:22 PM, TexasTexas95 said:

What's your tow rig and typical distance OP?

We tow w/ a V8 4Runner primarily less than two miles (although a trip or two a year to the eastern half of our state). 

My girl has a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I feel pulls my 23LSV so nice. I think you would be fine up to at least that size don't you? She has a v-8 too. Do you have a certain budget in mind? 

On 4/22/2016 at 7:55 PM, TexasTexas95 said:

My girl has a Jeep Grand Cherokee that I feel pulls my 23LSV so nice. I think you would be fine up to at least that size don't you? She has a v-8 too. Do you have a certain budget in mind? 

Yes, I think that the 4Runner/LSV combo would be acceptable for the shorter trips to the lake.  The VLX looks big (& LSV huge) when thinking about maneuvering the trailer in and out of our in-city parking spot (current runabout is 18').

The VLX is top on my wife's list as she likes to ski.

Two local boats just popped up and one long distance:

1) '05 LSV 21 / 546 hours / $36.7K - http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/5553393741.html

Great looking boat.  What do I look for in boats over 500 hours?  Would this have the diamond hull?

2) '06 VLX / 600 hours / $35.5K - http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/boa/5554398631.html

I'd read that the batwing tower was not desired (http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=785977)...

3) '05 VLX / 350 hours / http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005-Malibu-21VLX-102594500

I really like the look of this one -- but would likely involve buying w/out seeing it... argh... still trying to convince myself if I could arm myself with enough info to do that for any boat...

Thoughts!  Again - thanks for the continuing help!

So. #1 looks the cleanest. Someone else needs to chime in about the hull on the LSV for that year but the only way to tell the difference on the hulls from the pictures given is to know the Hull ID number. You can look it up and tell if the hull is a wake or diamond hull. #2 is out of the question on the tower alone. Those towers are hot garbage. Looked cool in 05 but there's likely a reason they didn't make them too long. #3 is traveling a long way to find out the vinyl doesn't look in that great of shape or the boat hasn't been taken care of that well. It's not bad, just doesn't look like a boat someone with OcD had. I'm not trying to talk you into an LSV cause I absolutely loved the heck out of my 05 VLX but in the pictures, it's clear that someone took a lot of pride in that boat keeping it pristine. Looks like it's been and being stored inside too. Vs. #2 looking like it's been on a lift its whole life. 500 or more hours isn't a big deal to me. Means someone used their boat an average of what, 50 hours a year? Not a whole lot. Hours don't really concern me unless it's a new boat with over 1000. Even then, anything can be fixed (anything). Just check compression wherever you buy a boat from. Even boats with vinyl damage can be fixed to look like brand new. But for me, from here on out when I buy a used boat. I'm gonna make it a point to verify it was a boat that was stored inside some how. They just seem to last longer being out of the elements constantly. Your truck can pull the LSV fine I'm sure but double check on the weight and think a lot about what you will be using it for 80-90% of the time. Don't rule something out because you may do xyz with it only 10% of the time.

When I went from a VLX to LSV, I noticed the size difference for a total of two weeks? Now I think my LSV is little. It's easy as heck to drive/ park on the water, and trailer. My next boat will be 24 or larger. At that point, I might get concerned with size.

Is the wife a novice skier or pretty advanced? Is it a huge focus? Cause a v-drive isn't really the best option as a ski boat, a direct drive might be better suited. I'm not sure on that but the ski dudes and girls can chime in on that one. If the LSV is a diamond hull, I guarantee it throws a massive wake compared to the old I/O you had for wakeboarding/ surfing , and still has a decent slalom wake. 

How many people in your average crew? Any size limitations on boat slip or trailer parking space? Or your tow rig?

Their all nice boats. But someone who rarely has more than 3 or 4 people in the boat, uses 20' deep slips, or drives an older 1/2 ton might not need the larger boats. Drive them all, see what you do & don't like. 

When I was shopping, it came down to 20' or 21', all MLS, Titan only, and Monsoon preferably.