Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Review Bow Upgrade Layout

mgb1974

Take a look at my proposed layout. I went through it 3 months ago with Wakemakers when I ordered all the stuff and it made sense. Just want to double check before I start ripping it out. Adding a under the seat bow ballast bag to my existing MLS setup. Switching out the Aerotors with 1 Johnson reversible pump. Using the bosworth 2 way selector to fill up the Ski locker bag or the bow bag.

Capture.JPG

Should the tube from the valve (ski locker side) go direct to the ski locker?  I don't see why you would run it to a T with the bow bag vent?  Also, you should put one way valves in the vent lines if you want to suck the bags flat between uses.

I'm adding a ski locker bag with the same pump and valve setup.  Direct feed from the valve to the bow bag and another to the locker bag.  Vent from the bow bag is already there so I am putting a T in it between the one way valve and the thru hull to attach the locker bag vent to. The the locker bag vent line will also have a one way valve between the T and the bag.  That way if one bag overflows the water will go overboard, not into the other bag.  Your plan to have 2 vents is also good - just one more hole in the hull.

Yeah wasn't sure about the vent/fill t for the ski bag. That is how the factory MLS is setup currently in my boat.

wonder why wakemakers didn't tell me to get a one way valve?

Looked through my parts from wakemakers, it has 1 check valve I'm going to put on the ski locker vent.

any other thoughts?

3 hours ago, mgb1974 said:

Looked through my parts from wakemakers, it has 1 check valve I'm going to put on the ski locker vent.

any other thoughts?

As long as you're going direct from the Bosworth to the bags without any T's or anything that should be good.  The check valve should only allow flow away from the bag in the vent line.

Where are you going to mount the valve?

Hope it goes well.  I'm finishing my install tomorrow and hope to be in the water after lunch!

Ok make sense. Finalized my sketch just in case somebody else has the same question.

Im going to try to fit the pump and 3 way valve into my Ski locker, mine has a divider to seperate the stock MLS bag and the pumps/plug hole.

Guess now the only issue is that you cant tell when the bag is empty other then visually. Old stock system it would stop flowing from the side hole. 

Capture.JPG

I'm still figuring ballast stuff out and I'm not the brightest crayon in the box at this stuff but the check valves on your diagram are on the same hose as your vent that exits overboard right? What's it's purpose?

For some reason, I thought a check valve allowed water/air to flow through one way but not the other. What's it help do on this set up. Your vents are high enough on your hull to not get water in them right? 

Since you are running a reversible pump, you couldn't run a check valve between the pump and the tank because water has to flow both directions right? 

Is it so the bags can get sucked down flat when you go to empty? Kinda like blowing through a straw and then sucking in and putting your finger over the end, it will suck the straw down flat??? Something like that?

39 minutes ago, TexasTexas95 said:

For some reason, I thought a check valve allowed water/air to flow through one way but not the other. What's it help do on this set up. Your vents are high enough on your hull to not get water in them right?

I agree with this statement. I did a similar upgrade to my ski-locker/bow bags. You don't need the two check valves in-line with your vent hoses here IF your bags sit below the exit ports. This might be why WakeMakers didn't recommend one to you. WakeMakers suggested check valves (more like pressure regulators) on my "Vent" hoses for the bags I added in my rear lockers. This made sense to me since, when full, my new bags do sit above the vent hole. Those valves on the vent lines now prevent auto-siphoning from my big bags in the back.

Nice design tho. I wish I had the money to go as fancy as a 2-way pump. I don't have the 3-way selector valve and instead I have another "Drain" pump. WakeMakers did recommend installing a check valve in-line after my "Fill" pump in my ski-locker. Give Spencer a call again. He has always been super helpful for me.

The check valves allow me to completely drain the bags. I wasn't 100% convinced but after messing with it, I think it's nice to have. 

The check valves flow toward the vent, so when the bag is filled the water will come out the vent.

Edited by mgb1974
  • 1 month later...

So update. I went and hit the switch on filling up the bags and can hear the pump but its not flowing water to the bags. 

I ran it in the driveway for about 5 seconds, just flipping the switch to make sure it has power. Ran it on the trailer (with boat in the lake, fill/drain hole was for sure submerged) to check it but never filled. Ran it for about 60 seconds in fill and drain. I have clear line in places and could just see a little bit of water but not a flow. 

Do the Johnson Ultra Ballast pumps need primed first time use or is my impeller hosed?

23 hours ago, mgb1974 said:

So update. I went and hit the switch on filling up the bags and can hear the pump but its not flowing water to the bags. 

I ran it in the driveway for about 5 seconds, just flipping the switch to make sure it has power. Ran it on the trailer (with boat in the lake, fill/drain hole was for sure submerged) to check it but never filled. Ran it for about 60 seconds in fill and drain. I have clear line in places and could just see a little bit of water but not a flow. 

Do the Johnson Ultra Ballast pumps need primed first time use or is my impeller hosed?

Did you try the switch in the other direction? The first time I installed a Johnson pump I had it wired backwards so fill was drain and vice versa.