Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Thoughts on speakers

Steve B.

I got a 4 years out of the 8 Malibu installed RF 6.5s before the cones started to delaminate from the rubber rings. I have been through 2 M12 subs, bad coils so I was told. Fortunately RF warranties and replaced them at no charge. Even though the stereo guy was a friend, he said he doesn't have a problem with the RF warranty. Overall I guess I can't complain, the in boats were reasonably priced to replace, the subs were free and all of then perform reasonably well for what they cost. I really can't say I am disappointed in them, but I am not an audiophile either. The factory MB Quartz tower speakers last about as long before they delaminate and got replaced with Rev-10s.

My boat came eith yhe RF 6.5s (8). I like mine 10x more after putting some real power to them. They sound good enough that it's not worth upgrading to anything else that may seem marginally better. I can hear loud n clear in the boat while surfing, or cruising 30mph.

So, as it turns out. These speakers rock. In fact, they rock like, um big time. Having worked in audio for many years, I'm not easily impressed. I'm impressed.

Steve B.

• Like 1

The KM654 series is an all new build from the previous KM6200, not just a new grill and some lights. I think Kicker did an excellent job with the balance between the mid-bass and tweeter. The Kicker marine speakers have their speaker leads permanently attached and sealed. The kit comes with terminals and a terminal cover that snaps over the terminals to keep them insulated and separated. The LED leads have a 4-way connector with leads. Wire the boat side to your lead string and then plug the connectors together.  

The kickers sound good, handle decent power, take sun and water good and are low priced if you shop around a little, LEDs are bright and have good color, there controller sucks $15 eBay one works better, I've had 6 of them in my boat since last July,

Edited by shadetreefab
18 hours ago, shadetreefab said:

The kickers sound good, handle decent power, take sun and water good and are low priced if you shop around a little, LEDs are bright and have good color, there controller sucks $15 eBay one works better, I've had 6 of them in my boat since last July,

Sorry to hear you have experienced an issue with the Kicker controller. I would like to know more about what issues you have had. Can you clarify, did you have 6 units fail in various ways, or did you not like how the first one functioned and tried 5 more? Not trying to be sarcastic, just not sure what you mean by "work better" when you reference a controller through ebay.

Ive been using one for nearly 2 years now. Its driving a KM10L, a pair of KM8L, a pair of KM654L, 2 pair of 6.5 LED rings and a cup holder ring and puck. No issue to date. Other than one controller getting rained on in a cup holder, ive not had any negative feed back.   

kmlc- had two have them, first one was doa out of the box (would not power up), returned, second one gets stuck in demo mode half the time. they were driving 4 km654l's, 2 km84l's and 3 rgb strips. now I'm using a 44key ir remote setup, better color control, fade to flash to solid functions great, and custom color memory. not bad for $6.28.

I'm not trying to hate on kicker, ive got 5 amps, 24 speakers in my boat, all kicker

1 hour ago, MLA said:

Sorry to hear you have experienced an issue with the Kicker controller. I would like to know more about what issues you have had. Can you clarify, did you have 6 units fail in various ways, or did you not like how the first one functioned and tried 5 more? Not trying to be sarcastic, just not sure what you mean by "work better" when you reference a controller through ebay.

Ive been using one for nearly 2 years now. Its driving a KM10L, a pair of KM8L, a pair of KM654L, 2 pair of 6.5 LED rings and a cup holder ring and puck. No issue to date. Other than one controller getting rained on in a cup holder, ive not had any negative feed back.