Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Recommend a VHF Radio

KevinWP

Hey everyone. New boater here.

My family group practically lives at Lake Powell and they all recommended getting a marine VHF radio. Which one would you recommend? Fixed mount or handheld? Will I need an antenna for Lake Powell since there are so many canyon walls?

Thanks!

This is the one I got. It says it's floating. I haven't had the inclination to throw my new radio in the water to test this for sure but I'm sure my 1.5 year old will test it soon enough. I actually really like the bluetooth feature. I pair it with my phone and can use it to make phone calls on the water. Seems to work pretty well so far but I really can't speak to actual range especially in canyons.

Cobra Marine HH500 Floating Handheld VHF Radio

This topic comes up about once a year, search and you'll see.

If you're on that large lake that often, I would think a fixed mount would be in order. You'll need the extra power. Have a professional install it, there's a lot to know about the antennae. Icom radios get a lot of respect around here.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=icom+vhf

I got a Cobra handheld. It works well but is mostly line of sight and we use it to talk to the houseboat when we are searching for beaches. I don't think you will get reception in a steep canyon, even with a fixed mount. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/15/2016 at 3:58 PM, Pistol Pete said:

This topic comes up about once a year, search and you'll see.

If you're on that large lake that often, I would think a fixed mount would be in order. You'll need the extra power. Have a professional install it, there's a lot to know about the antennae. Icom radios get a lot of respect around here.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=icom+vhf

I highly recommend the Icom handheld radios, as far as handhelds go they're the best.

I've had an M-72 for 7-8 years we used as a backup on our big SeaRay and to carry on our dinghy when out cruising the Great Lakes around Michigan.  I now carry the M-72 on my Malibu.  The transmit and receive performance of an handheld is nowhere near what you can get from a fixed mount radio with a 8' antenna, but probably not many of us want a giant VHF antenna on our Malibu.