Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Factory Tour + Demos... any questions??

IXFE

It was a crazy day and it flew by way too fast.  Already looking forward to my next visit.  This thread was super helpful.  While I couldn't get every question answered, I learned a bunch!

On April 13, 2016 at 0:09 PM, ahopkinsTXi said:

They won't tell you, but what are the changes that are planned for the 2017 TXi?

Believe it or not, I actually asked this question.  The tour guide said he didn't know, but he had heard the rumors.  I saw three TXI's in production and was told they still build 2-3 each week.

On April 13, 2016 at 5:17 PM, Slurpee said:

See if my Reuben hulled VLX is still sitting wrapped waiting for a truck to bring it to TX. White Trailer. 

Questions.... Is the whole boat waxed before it leaves including the bottom?  Do they use a laser projection on the molds for taping references during prep?  What is their personal favorite for ugliest boat this year?

I didn't see your boat.  My guess is that it was up at the trailer facility (just up the street).  We didn't tour that area, but it's where the boats go to be mated up with the trailer and put on the truck for shipping.  

I also asked about the wax, but did not get a definitive answer.  My guess is no... seems to be more of a dealer prep type of thing.  But I'd wax your new boat again just to be double sure.  Or put two coats on just to be triple sure! 

I didn't ask about ugliest boat... but I did ask lots of random people what their favorite boat is.  I was surprised to hear 25 LSV over and over again.  

Speaking of the 25 LSV, they are killing it with this boat.  The best year they ever had with the 247 was 250 boats.  That was their goal for the 25 LSV also, but Richie Anderson told me they are on track to build 400!!  That blows my mind.  

Another volume tidbit... they build twenty-five M235's in the month of March alone.  They believe they will conservatively hit 200 in the first 12 months 

On April 14, 2016 at 0:37 AM, DarkSide said:

IXFE,

Pay attention also to gel spraying.  if you get the chance watch them touch up the cut lines right after spray.  Those guys are artists! 

Indeed, I did see one of the painters bent over the mold touching up by hand.  

Some fun facts about color ... The gel coat guys start at 5am.  They do that so they can knock out four boats before the lamination folks get in.  That way they have boats ready to laminate.  

85% of the boats are sprayed with some sort of metal flake.  I saw lots of purple flake, yellow flake, and brown flake in factory.  Oddly enough I did not see any green flake.  I asked the tour guide about that; he said it was BIG in 2013 and 2014, but has largely died down.  

Edited by IXFE
  • Like 1
ahopkins22LSV
1 hour ago, IXFE said:

It was a crazy day and it flew by way too fast.  Already looking forward to my next visit.  This thread was super helpful.  While I couldn't get every question answered, I learned a bunch!

Believe it or not, I actually asked this question.  The tour guide said he didn't know, but he had heard the rumors.  I saw three TXI's in production and was told they still build 2-3 each week.

Cool, thanks for asking! I have heard rumors too. I am fairly certain it is coming, I am just curious to know what the changes are. I am surprised to hear they build 2-3 a week though. Happy to hear that as well though! Although the promo boats have flooded the market and anyone that has a 2-4 year old boat is really taking a bath right now.