Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Attn 08-09-10 LSV owners Input please

rugger

Kicking tires on a few 06-2010s 247s for more deep water lakes.   Understand the hull is the same from 06 up.   

1) What about the MaliView and Mux switches that started in 08?   Do you like them? Any problems?  

2) I think I'd like the Maliview but is it worth a price difference?   I don't think I'd like the mux switches, but I don't know.   

3) Any problems with drive by wire?

4) Any differences in the hammerhead in the later years vs 06 or 07?  

Really appreciate your advice and input!!!  I always give back what I can.

Edited by rugger

I had an 06 247 that I put nearly 300 hours on.  Awesome boat, would own one again.  

Very simple with rocker switches everywhere, I  am a little afraid of Maliview on older boats, but that is me acting like an old man afraid of new tech.  It does absolutely nothing you cannot do with switches.  I think it is just a breakable touch screen that breaks all of your functions when it goes down.  When one switch goes bad, I lose that function.  

I heard of some problems with MUX switches, but I think they are pretty easy to replace and I have seen the MUX on Bakesonline for not all that much money.  

I am not sure about engines, but Hammerhead was plenty sufficient up to 2700 feet elevation for me with a 1235 prop.  I could have even carried more weight and got a lower pitched prop. I do not know if they changed it later.   

Edited by TallRedRider

Thanks man.  I'm with you on simple switches and cables -- but I also know technology grows on you quickly.    I'm hoping someone with MaliView/MUXs will chime in.   Appreciate it. 

I have a '10 with the same set up for the Malivue and MUX. The Malivue is pretty much set and forget. Once you get the 10 presets where you want them you just have to toggle through the other 3 screen-options to get what you want. The left push buttons select: the Pre-Sets screen 1-10, a Gauges screen with 3 variants of screens: 1 will have a combination of 4 round faces, oil pressure, wedge position, temp and fuel, a depth screen with air water temp and mph and a full MLS display screen with depth and wedge position. A Media screen totally worthless IMO with mode select-aux/radio/Sirius plus a video 1-3 options and the ability to scroll through various common functions on a sympathetic audio device, a Cruise screen once again totally worthless IMO. Honestly the only screens I ever use are the plain old depth screen for cruising, the MLS screen for associated activities 90% surfing when I am filling and it is nice to hit the preset and auto fill/drain and shut off and incremental speed changes when surfing and boarding. The MUX switches only get used for the lights at night not often and the tweeking the wedge to shape the lip when surfing. Other than that they are simple but pricey @$290.00 someone said to replace. The thing I would miss the most would be the big depth gauge and the full view of the MLS and wedge position. I did one firm ware update that fixed a weird depth alarm issue I had, but that was a computer issue not MV or MUX. Hope this helps. Bill

Bill, thanks for taking the time for that response. Helps a lot!!  There's just no substitute for experience with these features -- hard to know if worth getting or avoiding without input.  Really appreciate it.  

Ok so 383, 8.1 or ls3?  Haha

I had a 2010 247 that I put 403 hours on it and I loved the boat. Absolutely no problems with Malivue nor the engine. I had the 450 hp ls3 motor that ran like a champ. The Malivue and mux switches worked well too. For Malivue, I stayed on the main screen, but once in a while I would switch screens and I had a difficult time navigating back to the main screen. The mux switches worked fine; I only had to change out a fuse or two when they stopped working. Other than that, GREAT boat.

I have an 06 247 with the 8.1l. Simple rocker switches. I don't feel like I'm missing out on anythin without the tech. I wasn't a fan of mux switches. The only feature a newer boat would have that would be a game changer is surfgate, but you can get an older boat and add wave control or GSA cheaper... The other features are just add ons, but don't really add much to the experience. Some of it is neat, but I doubt you'd care after the first month.

My priorities:

Engine.. That's the hardest thing to change.

Ballast system.... Reversible pumps plumbed in., or at least PNP setup. I'm never messing with pumps over the side again.

FAE. For noise reduction first, fume reduction second.

Stereo... A good system amplifies the whole experience.

not a 100% positive an this, working from memory

06- bow ballast an option, 07+ standard

8.1 option tell 09, 10+ ls motors

g3 tower 10+

11+ got "seats" above the transom

13+ surf gate

got an 07 and love it, if we upgrade it will be a 13+, I really want gates and those "seats"

57 minutes ago, shadetreefab said:

if we upgrade it will be a 13+, I really want gates and those "seats"

Have you thought about the wave control from wakemakers? Might be cheaper than boat upgrade. And are those seats even useful? I wouldn't want anyone sitting there while the boat was moving. I much prefer all the flip around rear facing seats in the newer boats. I'd like to put something like that in mine.

Ive been thinking automated gates with a wake logic controller, we are about 50% surf/wake 50% kids swim station so those seats would be where my cfo watches for sea monsters

1 hour ago, shadetreefab said:

Ive been thinking automated gates with a wake logic controller, we are about 50% surf/wake 50% kids swim station so those seats would be where my cfo watches for sea monsters

Big fan of wake logic controller.   I would go that route vs. more expensive wave control.   Been using wake logic for a few summers (and one very cold beta test in the winter) - its been rock solid for our family and a huge upgrade to manual or non-automated Lenco gates.  Kids all surf now.

I'm in Nor Cal too, let me know if you need help installing and then you can show me a 247 w/ SG on the water in exchange. :)  

was going to make gate templates this weekend, decided to go the lake instead. 

11 hours ago, rugger said:

I'm in Nor Cal too, let me know if you need help installing and then you can show me a 247 w/ SG on the water in exchange. :)  

you ever come down to berryessa?

On April 15, 2016 at 8:18 PM, shadetreefab said:

was going to make gate templates this weekend, decided to go the lake instead. 

you ever come down to berryessa?

Well, I certainly could.   Get those templates made... foam board works well to test your angles/dimensions.   I'm in Cameron Park, right near Folsom, however we still spend most of our summer days at Bullards.  

Using poly cutting boards ( Walmart 2.99) can use it for a poor mans gate for testing and mock up. End product will probably be carbon

berryesa is are home lake, 3 ramps 15 minutes away

Edited by shadetreefab

I have a 2010 LSV and could not be happier with it.  Have not had any problems with the switches or Malivue (knock on wood).  I really like the Malivue but primarily just for the presets.  I have not really changed them in a couple of years, it makes it so easy for boarding, surfing or skiing.  I have a bit less then 500 hours on my boat.  Bought it new in December of 2010 with 8 hours on it.  2011 was the first summer using it.

I haven't been on the board here much over the last two years and will definitely look into a surf gate type option as we do a lot of that these days. 

I would not avoid a boat because of the Malivue.