Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Hatch latch rotation

Had a new skin put on one of my hatches today, and it looks great. Only problem is that the latch was installed in the wrong orientation. I think that the big hex nut is what I need to undo to rotate, but would like to know for sure as I don't want to mess up the new skin. If it is the nut, I'll have to see if I've got anything big enough to remove it.

Yeh big hex nut on the under side. IIRC I used my biggest channel locks wrapped in a rag when I rebuilt and lubed mine. Pay attention to the placement of the washers etc... From Malibu one of mine was missing some of the parts and had me going crazy trying to figure it out until I finally disassembled the other one to see what it looked like. 

Edited by wdr

Thanks.  It was pretty simple.  Couldn't get a channel locks in there, but just using a wide blade screwdriver to press against the nut flat worked well enough to loosen it a few turns and rotate the latch.  Good as new now.

Ok. Solve me this problem on my 2011 LSV. Kinda similar issue. In my tray under the sun pad, if I turn the tray where the lowest angle is toward the bow of the boat, I get water dripping all over my motor, spark plug wires and it's also close to the air intake also which is a little concerning. Doesn't help with mildew or anything either. But in this position, I'm able to lock my hatches. If I flip it the opposite way where the deepest part of the tray is toward the transom end, water drains out and get on nothing. Problem, I can't latch and lock the hatches. If I flip flop my tray. Only way I see to do it is to cut out some notches and then it will work. Am I doing it wrong?

The trays I've seen (and on my boat that is newer) all have a ~2' hose & fitting in the corner with the hole drilled in the try. The hose is fed through an oversize pipe bracket mounted in the engine compartment and the water runs down to the bilge. Even if yours never had this "feature" you may consider adding it as it will resolve the issue. The other option is to further adjust the latches, the "finger" should be able to be backed out a few turns and re-secured and that would give you a bit more room. I'll try to post some pictures in just a minute.

Not understanding why tray orientation would make a difference in latching unless the one orientation is allowing you to bend the hatch down a little more.  If that is the case just loosen up the allen head set screw and rotate the latching arm like mikeo said.  Otherwise a picture of your problem would help

If you have the walk over pad like me when you reverse the tray the walk over pad gas strut makes contact with the tray because there is not a notch cut on both the fore and aft ends of the tray. If so, and the tray was ever replaced at some point, it was probably never modified. Another poor design, because when notched the tray will crack in the notch even when lightly loaded, ask me how I know! There is no support for the rear of the tray so after I built and riveted an aluminum support plate to the inside of the tray, I built an aluminum "L" bracket shelf and secured it to the back side of the hull on plane with the other 3 sides to support the rear of the tray.