Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Deckadence - my custom color, custom logo project in pictures

malibudog

ahopkins22LSV

That's awesome! The one thing I don't like about our TXi is the fixed carpet. I would love to replace year it up and replace it with this or sea/gator step. If there was only a way to confirm if the fiberglass was finished under our carpet...

I don't know if the 15 and 16 carpet/flooring layouts are identical.  Was the seat height adjustment a '16 new feature??  If so, the floor might have changed.  If your dealer has a 16 with any of the flooring options other than the  Soft Grip, it would only take a few minutes to pull the carpet out and see if it fits your 15.  Or, I would be happy to send you the template, and you could check it out, as long as you are willing to send it on to anyone else who might want it.  Rob

Rob, I will check with our dealer. Boat won't be out of storage for another month at least so I have plenty of time before I would do the deckadence if I did. Thanks for the help!

I've also been investigating Deckadence for my VTX.  I didn't realize that there was an ability to buy a roll and cut your own piece?  I've spoken with a dealer in Michigan but I was going to have to send them a template. Did that all come through the dealer mentioned in your post?  Would you mind telling me what the thickness of the material is?

Badger:  Yes, I bought a 6' x 11' roll from Performanceunderfoot's online site, and cut it myself.  Once the template is done, cutting it yourself is really easy.  The Performanceunderfoot video recommended cutting the Deckadence with the knife on an angle so the top of the carpet is slightly wider than the bottom.  Because the fibers are woven and will compress, this makes it fit really well against the footwells in the boat.  Check out their linked do it yourself videos, they were extremely helpful for me.  I measured my Deckadence, and it measures 5/8" thick.  I was somewhat surprised when I got it, as I did not think that the factory piece I saw in a new boat was as thick, but I could be wrong.  There is also a self help video on adding snaps, but so far, snaps have seemed unnecessary.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely consider it.  Yours looks great, by the way. I give you a lot of credit for taking the risk with a high cost item like that!

I still have not yet seen Decadence in person and wont buy before I do. While on vacation last week the hotel we were staying at had floor mats that were labeled as 3M Nomad material.  I'm about 75% certain it's the same stuff. I thought I had struck gold until I started researching and found that a 6' by 11' floor mat with no backing would cost me the same as what you paid. Its a definite savings over what a finished custom cut mat costs , but It's still hard for me to believe the stuff is expensive as it seems to be. 

21 minutes ago, Badger said:

but It's still hard for me to believe the stuff is expensive as it seems to be. 

:plus1: especially when you can buy this stuff which is very similar for $139 a roll which is 6'x100'

tnn-2.jpg

Edited by Ndawg12
fat finger

If the yellow tuff n nuff works for you, it would be interesting to compare that side by side with a piece of Deckadence and see how "very similar" it is, although there is no way those guys with muddy boots installing it in the video are getting on my boat.  The price is certainly right.  Admittedly, there are less pricey options for boat carpet for sure.  However, for me, the carpet is now one of the things I am really thrilled with every time I get in the boat (also love the sport knob radio controls, and the phender cleats), and certainly was worth the money for me personally.

The new yellow boat to go with it, is going to hinder the cost/benefit analysis.

After seeing this and doing a search on "vinyl loop mat" I'm no longer 75% sure that the 3M Nomad 8150 is the same stuff.  It appears that all kinds of people make a similar product.  The problem is getting it in widths over 4 feet.

I believe Shawndoggy posted a link to something similar a while back as well.  It's all just PEM, poly extruded matting, I don't think the stuff I linked would be all that comfortable, the threads are thicker and not quite as tightly woven, but it is very similar, doesn't make sense that you can buy 8 times as much for 1/6 the price.

4 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

I believe Shawndoggy posted a link to something similar a while back as well.  It's all just PEM, poly extruded matting, I don't think the stuff I linked would be all that comfortable, the threads are thicker and not quite as tightly woven, but it is very similar, doesn't make sense that you can buy 8 times as much for 1/6 the price.

Might be this thread?

http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?25358-Floor-covering-project

I have Decadence and my buddy (the op in that thread) loved it and bought samples of the PVC mat.  I would say you get 99.9% of Decadence.  Decadence is just slightly thicker but having spent a lot of time in both boats, I think people would only notice that mine has a logo.  I love my Decadence and don't regret the purchase (first thing everyone comments on that comes on my boat is how much they like it) but I think he was all in for $90.  If you do a similar install, you want to cut it oversized. The mat compresses and will fit all the nooks and crannies and cover up and slight imperfections in your template.  If its too small..... you will notice, so just add 1/4" to the perimeter of your template....plus you can trim excess in the boat while its installed.

I have had mine since June/July of 2014 and it looks as good as the day I bought the boat.  It seems to resist dirt and dust better than my vinyl on my seats.  Simply hose it down and it looks brand new.

• Like 2

People on here are funny, spend 100k on a boat but heaven forbid you spend $800 on a custom floor mat making it your own. That's a comparable price to doing gatorstep and I think the op's mat and logo turned out sick! 

5 hours ago, Pnwrider said:

People on here are funny, spend 100k on a boat but heaven forbid you spend $800 on a custom floor mat making it your own. That's a comparable price to doing gatorstep and I think the op's mat and logo turned out sick! 

Yep, this is the wrong thread to debate that point but as the OP pointed out, he likes to tinker in order to make it his own. I guarantee that he and his wife have a ton of satisfaction every time they get in the boat now from knowing that their research and work went into that mat. They could have turned it all over to the supplier that provided the blank mat, probably paid twice the amount or more, and been worried the whole time that it wouldn't come out the way they really wanted.  I have friends that would have gone that route every time. I, personally, like to keep control because I've been disappointed too many times when I don't. 

For the person that doesn't have the time or ability or desire to do the research, find the various products and suppliers involved, make the template, do the cutting, do the painting, etc., by all means, pay the price and have it done for you. 

I deal with cost versus value every day in my 9-5 job, so for me, the cost of a mat is a  natural question.  My personality is such that I always need to have a "project" to be working on. This is the a good one for me related to the boat. 

Malibudog- as I said earlier, I love your finished product. Thank you for taking the time to post up all of your detailed info and answer my questions. 

I'm not trying to take anything away from what the OP accomplished, I think it looks fantastic and most of you know I'm all about projects like this.  I'm not making any judgement on people who pay $800 for this stuff either.  Just trying to figure out the disparity in pricing between 2 similar products rather than just accepting that one is considered "marine".  Thought it might be relevant here, my apologies.

3 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

I'm not trying to take anything away from what the OP accomplished, I think it looks fantastic and most of you know I'm all about projects like this.  I'm not making any judgement on people who pay $800 for this stuff either.  Just trying to figure out the disparity in pricing between 2 similar products rather than just accepting that one is considered "marine".  Thought it might be relevant here, my apologies.

no apologies necessary.  Other options are always relevant.  :cheers:

How is the stencil logo?  Mine has a cut and glued logo in it.  The bad part about that is that when you walk on the logo you feel the glue (slightly less comfortable).  Seems like the logo stencil might be better because although you feel the painted logo it would be softer than the glue.

I really like how the  white Decadence turned out in your pics.   Based on how mine looks with minimal cleaning and upkeep (compared to my vinyl), I bet the white is easy to keep clean for a flooring product (easier than gray carpet).

Did you use the excess material for anything?  Seems like you might be able to put it in a compartment when you put ropes or life jackets and it would drain and dry out better than carpet.

I think the big question on the painted stencil logo is longevity.  I heard that one of the manufacturers is now painting their logo on, rather than piecing it in, for the reason you stated (don't know if that is true).  The stencil adhered really well, and the paint lines came out really sharp.  Just don't know what to expect in terms of long term wear.  The vinyl paint is made for marine use, and made for painting seats, so we will see.  The painted part really does not feel significantly different on the feet than the unpainted.  I like the idea of putting the excess Deckadence in some of the lockers that get wet ropes and jackets.  It does let water through really well.  

23 hours ago, stingreye said:

Might be this thread?

http://www.moomba.com/msgboard/showthread.php?25358-Floor-covering-project

I have Decadence and my buddy (the op in that thread) loved it and bought samples of the PVC mat.  I would say you get 99.9% of Decadence.  Decadence is just slightly thicker but having spent a lot of time in both boats, I think people would only notice that mine has a logo.  I love my Decadence and don't regret the purchase (first thing everyone comments on that comes on my boat is how much they like it) but I think he was all in for $90.  If you do a similar install, you want to cut it oversized. The mat compresses and will fit all the nooks and crannies and cover up and slight imperfections in your template.  If its too small..... you will notice, so just add 1/4" to the perimeter of your template....plus you can trim excess in the boat while its installed.

I have had mine since June/July of 2014 and it looks as good as the day I bought the boat.  It seems to resist dirt and dust better than my vinyl on my seats.  Simply hose it down and it looks brand new.

The looks like my wheel house for project cost.

We all have budgets.  Mine just went to new speakers.  and a cover.  And a Sampson mirror arm...

• 10 months later...