Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Plastic "T" for cooling system - 383 Hammerhead

sidekicknicholas

Sorry ahead of time for what will be a very vague post but here goes -

Last winter I was on vacation and the weather was going to dip well below freezing for a few days so I had my brother winterize our boat ... he mentioned while taking apart the intake for cooling there was a small "T" that broke when he was pulling off the hoses.  The boat is still in storage but if anyone has a clue as to what part this may be so I can try and order things before I pull the boat out that would be great!  He described as a small "T" that probably was replaceable with something from tractor supply .... without having ever seen it, my gut says it just simply splits the flow of incoming fresh water but idk for sure.

Its supposed to be almost 70* this weekend, so I'm hoping I can pick it up, change the oil, fix this piece and be running within a few hours.... assuming I have a replacement part.

Any help would be great, thanks!!!!!

This is the "T" That I replace on my 04.  It screws into the bottom of the exhaust riser.  One on both sides, port and starboard.  I went ahead and replaced both of mine at the same time since the one that broke seemed brittle.  

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=1454 

Opps, looks as if this part was discontinued.  New replacement options are 90 degree fittings.

***THIS EXHAUST T FITTING HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED AND IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. Please order part #605012 and #605019 for each exhaust manifold. Instead of the exhaust manifold using one fitting in the middle it will use two fittings on each end of the exhaust manifold.

Edited by blk93jeepzj
Part was discontinued.

Sweet.  Had an idea only because I broke one once too.  If you wanted to do without the "exhaust manifold crossover drain hose" you could go to the hardware store and pick up a brass 90 degree fitting to eliminate it.  I looked into making the whole T fitting out of brass and it was going to really be excessively expensive.

That was my first thought, but I read this from the bakes product page -
"DO NOT replace this fitting with nothing other than nylon. Replacing these fittings with brass with cause the area around the fitting to act like a zinc because of the metallurgic difference."

.... not sure if a scare tactic or for real.

Hmm...who would have thought.  One would think that the warning would be on the T fitting page as well since that part has been discontinued.  

Think I would order the correct ones then and slap a set of brass in there for the weekend to get out on the water.

Edited by blk93jeepzj
addition

When I look at Bakes they should a bunch of different sizes (on the threaded side) .... was the one you linked specific to the 383?

It did not specify, but the ETX manifolds are used both on the Monsoon and Hammerhead.  So the link I provided should be applicable for either engine.

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=2394 

Please order part #605012 and #605019 for each exhaust manifold. Instead of the exhaust manifold using one fitting in the middle it will use two fittings on each end of the exhaust manifold.

...as I understand things, there will ultimately be 2x of the new "L" fittings per manifold, so if I replace everything, I would need 4x the "L" fittings to replace everything?

Correct.  

3/4" NPT x 1" barb  (2 needed)

3/8" NPT x 5/8" barb   (2 needed)

Unless....... you can replicate the T fitting with stainless?  But stainless and aluminum are going to gall up and be very difficult to remove, not that you would ever need to remove the whole fittings.  Should not ever break like the nylon ones.  

Unless....... you can replicate the T fitting with stainless?

Does the new 90* plug go into the manifold where I would have had an existing "plug" blanking off another port on the bottom side?  I can't seem to find anywhere else it might go.... and can't find a photo of a "new" setup anywhere.

Thanks again BLK for all the help!

From Skidim.....

ELBOW KIT NYLON, ETX MANIFOLD INDMAR

Replaces old 1 piece T-fitting Pt # 605084. Kit includes (2) 90 degree fittings, 1 for a 5/8" hose and 1 for a 1" hose. There is a plug that you will need to remove from the manifold to install the smaller elbow.

http://www.skidim.com/Indmar/products/1068/3/0

If a blind squirrel can find a nut once in a while, guess I can get lucky too.

Hope you get to hit the water this weekend!!  

Hope you get to hit the water this weekend!!  

Hopefully tonight pop those fittings in tonight, give the boat a quick spit shine and we'll be in business!  The county lowered our lake for dam repairs, so it made it less awful it that it wasn't in.... but as of about noon today it sounds like we're full!

Thanks again for all the help, and really quick replies!!!! I appreciate it!

Glad I could help, I know that I have received plenty of help thru the years here and glad that I can give back.  

If you ever need anything send me a PM, I don't see every thread but do spend some time here during the week.  

Got the new fittings in and hoses attached, and holy smokes its a tight fit now.  Not sure why they didn't make one a straight through, at least with my hose lengths and them both being 90* it was reaaaaal snug.

There are aluminum elbows available from suppliers like Stainless Marine.  No issues in my installation over several years & they also offer plugs with sacrificial zinc electrodes.