Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Never heard of this...

Jasvols83

Finally got the right amps after previously running PPI 900.4 & PPI 900.5s.

Now I am working with a Syn 4 & Syn 6. I hope this is a big upgrade sound quality wise?

My question is this, my interiors are Polk MM651 (Not UM). The manual and the call support say 2.7ohm impedance. What the heck is that??? Never heard of 2.7ohm. Polk rep told me I need an amp that can handle down to 2 ohms. 

I have 2 sets (4 total speakers) in the interior and a 12inch dual voice coil sub that holds 500rms. 

I'm curious what rms I will be running to the interiors and the sub with the Syn 6 and how to set it up? Should I run the sub as 2 ohm or 4ohm?

Also can anyone tell me the recommended settings on the Syn 4 amp for my pair of Rev 10s?

Ohms is a measurement unit for impedance/resistance.  

Your amplifier will operate over a wide impedance range, but the minimum impedance load is 2-ohm stereo or 4-ohm bridged (which are basically equal).  

So with four discrete channels to run four 2.7 ohm coaxials you are fine. You'll have good power.

Hopefully your subwoofer is a single voice coil 4-ohm or a dual voice coil with 2-ohms per each coil, so that you can configure it into a final 4-ohm load. And then you would bridge the amplifier for the sub.    

Also can anyone tell me the recommended settings on the Syn 4 amp for my pair of Rev 10s?

Lots of general info here on the forum. For detailed setup and tuning, I would not hesitate to ask your Wet Sounds dealer for help on the products purchased from them. 

9 hours ago, David said:

Ohms is a measurement unit for impedance/resistance.  

Your amplifier will operate over a wide impedance range, but the minimum impedance load is 2-ohm stereo or 4-ohm bridged (which are basically equal).  

So with four discrete channels to run four 2.7 ohm coaxials you are fine. You'll have good power.

Hopefully your subwoofer is a single voice coil 4-ohm or a dual voice coil with 2-ohms per each coil, so that you can configure it into a final 4-ohm load. And then you would bridge the amplifier for the sub.    

David,

The manual says that mine is a Dual 4?  Apparently they make a Dual 2 but that is not the one I have.  Mine is an Alpine Type S (Model:  SWS-12D4).  That being said what am I facing?  What are the concerns with this sub being on the SYN 6?

Short answer -- dual 4 will be underpowered given your current amp config.

Syn 6 bridged channel for sub is 4ohm stable.  So you want to present a 4 ohm load to the amp.  Dual 2 run in series = 4 ohm.

But you have dual 4.  In parallel that's a 2 ohm load -- too low.  In series it's 8 ohm.  Which will totally work (safe to run too high), but it also means that you'll only get half the power out of the amp that you could get at 4 ohm.  So if your bridged channels do 600w @ 4, they'll do 300w @ 8.

Edited by shawndoggy

In short it sounds like I should buy a 12W3 or XS12 if I want to scratch my PPI900.5 and switch to my new Syn 6 if I want to optimize my sub channel.  I have been happy with my PPI, just decided a Syn6 would be a huge upgrade?

Ohms Law suggests that as you half the resistance you double the current and therefore double the power, with the inverse also being true. But we aren't talking about a DC light bulb or simple resistor. We're talking about a complex amplifier with a current-limited power supply. So you will not lose 50% of your power as you double the load impedance. Nor would you double the power if you half the load impedance. In this case with the Syn6, with an 8-ohm subwoofer load, you will lose about 38% of the 4-ohm bridged power level....but with a good amount of remaining headroom (dynamic reserve). That's about 84% of the PPI 2-ohm sub power....but leaving the PPI with little headroom. There is no way you will be able to audibly discern this power difference or be at a disadvantage. From a quality standpoint the Wetsounds Syn6 is superior in just about every aspect to the PPI amplifier. However, the Class D PPI is more efficient than the Class AB Syn6. But the subwoofer power would not concern me. And while it's not a critical issue today, you still have the option of changing subwoofers in the future.    

Maybe your Wet Sounds dealer could swap the Syn-6 for an HTX-1 and HTX-4. More than plenty wattage for the in-boats but same wattage to the woofer that the Syn-6 would deliver if your woofer was the ideal config. 

On April 12, 2016 at 11:02 PM, Jasvols83 said:

Finally got the right amps after previously running PPI 900.4 & PPI 900.5s.

Now I am working with a Syn 4 & Syn 6. I hope this is a big upgrade sound quality wise?

My question is this, my interiors are Polk MM651 (Not UM). The manual and the call support say 2.7ohm impedance. What the heck is that??? Never heard of 2.7ohm. Polk rep told me I need an amp that can handle down to 2 ohms. 

I have 2 sets (4 total speakers) in the interior and a 12inch dual voice coil sub that holds 500rms. 

I'm curious what rms I will be running to the interiors and the sub with the Syn 6 and how to set it up? Should I run the sub as 2 ohm or 4ohm?

I would upgrade the woofer to a XS12 as well and you will be set.. Nothing else to say really. 

• Like 1