Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wanna see what happens when a 22 MXZ goes over a dam? Warning Graphic!

TexasTexas95

So where is this boat now? I'm still looking at that bow ballast tank and wonder if it will fit into a 2011 VLX. That thing is ripe for plucking, it's already half way out!

The owner, still owns it. You can look but you can't touch. I know because I wanted the motor. I'll buy it for $200 right now :)

On April 14, 2016 at 9:24 AM, TexasTexas95 said:

Ok Justin Harrelson....

I Am like real good friends (like super duper close) with this one guy who has a best friend that knows that guy you're talking about. 

I for one, Love me some boat parades...

Just trying to distance myself as far away from insurance fraud as possible. It is not a he said, she said. I know the guy and he's lost 3 boats in 15 years.

Also, I am not familiar with this situation at all. Accidents can happen. But on McQueeny, Dunlop, Placid they just happen a lot.

Edited by JustinHarrelson
6 minutes ago, JustinHarrelson said:

Just trying to distance myself as far away from insurance fraud as possible. It is not a he said, she said. I know the guy and he's lost 3 boats in 15 years.

Also, I am not familiar with this situation at all. Accidents can happen. But on McQueeny, Dunlop, Placid they just happen a lot.

Sounds like negligence more than fraud. Either way, it's BS & needs to stop.

These boats aren't on a lake but a river. The water comes up fast with runoff and the dams above releasing water to keep the actual lake from flooding. In most cases these are weekend homes and the owners can't run down ever time a storm comes through since they live hours away. With the boats sitting in a dock, they are more likely to float away if not tied in. If they are tied in, they can sink or roll in the slip. This happens upstream from us on the Brazos River. We just don't have a dam that they can go over and have such a dramatic event happen. This happened last spring in East Texas. So much rain that can't be released and unattended boats float away or sink. Waterski America had 14 Malibu boats they had to go rescue, some they didn't know who owned them until the owners realized they were gone or sunk.

Bill, call Spitz up on the Brazos and ask him how the river is doing. They had 5+ inches of rain up river yesterday. I'm 99% sure his dock is underwater today. If he had been away and his boat in the slip, it would be toast today. 

NW Houston had over 12" of rain since yesterday. Hard to plan for something like that when it rarely happens. 

22 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

These boats aren't on a lake but a river. The water comes up fast with runoff and the dams above releasing water to keep the actual lake from flooding. In most cases these are weekend homes and the owners can't run down ever time a storm comes through since they live hours away. With the boats sitting in a dock, they are more likely to float away if not tied in. If they are tied in, they can sink or roll in the slip. This happens upstream from us on the Brazos River. We just don't have a dam that they can go over and have such a dramatic event happen. This happened last spring in East Texas. So much rain that can't be released and unattended boats float away or sink. Waterski America had 14 Malibu boats they had to go rescue, some they didn't know who owned them until the owners realized they were gone or sunk.

Bill, call Spitz up on the Brazos and ask him how the river is doing. They had 5+ inches of rain up river yesterday. I'm 99% sure his dock is underwater today. If he had been away and his boat in the slip, it would be toast today. 

NW Houston had over 12" of rain since yesterday. Hard to plan for something like that when it rarely happens. 

Yea, I understand their in a river that changes quickly. Maybe I'm out of line. But I don't hear about these issues on the Parker Strip or the Willamette River, both of which can have similar issues with runoff & fast water.

Two weeks ago we had rain & hail, enough that it seemed like it could be a problem. Before it got bad, I hooked the trailer up & went down & got the boat out. No pics but we ended up with close to an inch of hail. I guess thats not possible on that river.

But you live close enough that you can get down to the boat when you need to. I have neighbors that live in Ohio, they are only here 3-4 times a year. I have several neighbors that are closer but 2-3 hours away. They just can't run down to the boat every time it storms. Down where the OP is in the Hill Country, it can go from normal to flood stage in a matter of hours. That happened South of Austin last year. They never found one family that was washed away in their sleep.

What Ronnie said.

And y'all, I'm not saying that anyone is wrong because we're actually all right. Many people can't rescue their boats quick enough, water gets to unexpected levels, some people are lazy and have a frame of mind that they have seen high levels of water that didn't hurt their boat, some people want to commit fraud, some are stupid, plain and simple. Some people panic, some get their family and boat to safety. 

This particular boat, over this dam was an accident at the end of the day. I'm sure of it. The storm was unexpectedly massive in a very rapid time frame unfortunately. Still, I want to buy the motor for $200. That's my starting bid...

How many ramps does McQueeny have anyway? 1 right? Anybody know?

10 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

But you live close enough that you can get down to the boat when you need to. I have neighbors that live in Ohio, they are only here 3-4 times a year. I have several neighbors that are closer but 2-3 hours away. They just can't run down to the boat every time it storms. Down where the OP is in the Hill Country, it can go from normal to flood stage in a matter of hours. That happened South of Austin last year. They never found one family that was washed away in their sleep.

Sorry, if I'm going to be away from the boat for more than about 2 or 3 days, I believe it is my responsibility to pull the boat & put it somewhere safe until I return.

Sorry to hear about anyone dying in this type of storm. I'm just saying that when these storms are all too common in ANY area, I would take measures to make sure that my family & my property is taken care of.... no matter where I am going to be.

I agree, sometimes things aren't taken care of as good as they think I suppose. In this part of the country it happens a lot. I'm not sure if I'd leave a boat in a lift where the OP posted about if I wasn't there. I think by the time they realize the big flood is coming, it's impossible to get on the water and get the boats out. It happens too fast.

• Like 1