Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wanna see what happens when a 22 MXZ goes over a dam? Warning Graphic!

TexasTexas95

Went with a buddy down to Texas Ski Ranch today and saw this. I almost shed a tear, then I remember that this is what insurance is for. Apparently, when it flooded last year out this way, this MXZ found its way over a dam and got its head chopped off. No worries, owner got a brand new one just like it. Funny thing is that I saw it and immediately wanted to start robbing parts off of it! The owner wants to keep the motor though and pick it apart. Dang! Thought I may have stumbled across something cool for a minute. Anyway blah blah blah, here are a few pics...

3D56EC4C-354C-4F46-98F4-63540BD4844D_zps

0588FC35-D775-43B1-B79C-B8F66998D1D3_zps

D92EC342-CBE1-45EC-8274-1C81138916DA_zps

237C2F0B-A850-4A81-A89C-AF53819FE86A_zps

Edited by TexasTexas95

Ps. Without all the cool crap on the upper half of the hull, these boats remind me of fiberglass Jon boats with sweet motors.... Just sayin. 

I thought that hull looked familiar. Sand down the rough edges it'd make a cool pool for the kids not to mention backyard art. Re-bu/Recycle at its finest. :rockon:

It should buff out!!

Its been on the TMC before:-

Well the bad news is I lost my 2013 22MXZ in the Halloween day flood in Central Texas, the good news is I have good insurance. Should have a new 2016 22VLX getting delivered in march. Sorry for the low res..

2015-11-01_14.13.38.jpg.117d59c7b2da4b6d

seeing the boat like this, doesnt really seem possible how one could cost $100K +, not when you can buy a home for that complete with Yard, brick, plumbing, stove, refridge, sinks drywall, roof, lumber to build 20 boats, yards of concrete etc....

Just sayin' :whistle:

58 minutes ago, JB-FOOT said:

seeing the boat like this, doesnt really seem possible how one could cost $100K +, not when you can buy a home for that complete with Yard, brick, plumbing, stove, refridge, sinks drywall, roof, lumber to build 20 boats, yards of concrete etc....

Just sayin' :whistle:

:plus1: times bazillion!!!!

• Like 1
12 hours ago, TexasTexas95 said:

D92EC342-CBE1-45EC-8274-1C81138916DA_zps

Malibu should use this for their FIBEX Stringer (motor mount) advertisements ..  they tout that they have put 50,000 of them in the water without one single failure.  This one appears to have done its job to the very, very, bitter end.  

So where is the top half?  

I would think that is where all of the money is.  Seats, tower, and a variety of things may still be workable if not all bent out of shape.  

It almost looks like the top half was surgically removed, and has already been disposed of.   

14 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

I would think that is where all of the money is.  Seats, tower, and a variety of things may still be workable if not all bent out of shape.  

It almost looks like the top half was surgically removed, and has already been disposed of.   

Since the top is pretty much only held in place by a bunch of pop rivets, I would imagine one good hit on the side & the whole thing blew apart. Most of that would have sank with the weight of the tower. Maybe a few seat cushions could be found floating around.

I still can't believe this can be a legit claim when it's happened so many times. I'm going to need to leave my boat out the next time a bit storm blows thru.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
  • Like 1
13 minutes ago, TallRedRider said:

it was never recovered, or someone got it before it was "found"

This isn't my boat, and as far as my understanding, the owner went out and basically just got another boat so it's not like it's a situation where he needed money and wanted to get out of an expensive boat payment....

Why would someone NOT believe insurance would cover this type of claim? It's their job and that's why insurance is available. I can't believe insurance still cover vehicles that get into accidents. Or why they still cover people who have several accidents in their driving history. Sounds just as ridiculous...The flood that took this boat is the same flood that also killed at least 6 people so it wasn't just a little rain storm that did it.

Fraud is a different story. This wasn't fraud, they have experts who handle that and apparently if this was fraud, it slipped past that particular claims adjuster. 

38 minutes ago, TexasTexas95 said:

This isn't my boat, and as far as my understanding, the owner went out and basically just got another boat so it's not like it's a situation where he needed money and wanted to get out of an expensive boat payment....

Why would someone NOT believe insurance would cover this type of claim? It's their job and that's why insurance is available. I can't believe insurance still cover vehicles that get into accidents. Or why they still cover people who have several accidents in their driving history. Sounds just as ridiculous...The flood that took this boat is the same flood that also killed at least 6 people so it wasn't just a little rain storm that did it.

Fraud is a different story. This wasn't fraud, they have experts who handle that and apparently if this was fraud, it slipped past that particular claims adjuster. 

I'm not saying anything about this particular boat or situation. But there have been more than a few storms blow this are of the river before, and a ton of claims as a result of them.

We have storms here too. We don't just leave the boat out there when it happens, knowing that insurance will buy me a new boat. I watch the weather & pull it out if the forecast is sketchy. Or if something pops up quickly, I get out of whatever it is I'm doing & go pull the boat out. If I'm not going to be around or not planning on using the boat for more than a 3 or 4 days, I pull it out. Seems like common sense to me.

Years ago there were so many claims on the Parker Strip that insurance companies stopped insuring them if thats where you went.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I'll just say it. I think people on the Guadalupe lakes let their boats loose during floods. I know the water can come up fast, but this happens way-way too often. A friend has a neighbor that has lost 3 boats to floods...come on. I saw a video from a few years ago that was literally a boat parade over the damn.

Also, I am not commenting on this specific case. I'm saying that too many boats are lost on those lakes. It is really suspicious.

Edited by JustinHarrelson
  • Like 2

Ok Justin Harrelson....

I Am like real good friends (like super duper close) with this one guy who has a best friend that knows that guy you're talking about. 

I for one, Love me some boat parades...

6 hours ago, JustinHarrelson said:

I'll just say it. I think people on the Guadalupe lakes let their boats loose during floods. I know the water can come up fast, but this happens way-way too often. A friend has a neighbor that has lost 3 boats to floods...come on. I saw a video from a few years ago that was literally a boat parade over the damn.

Also, I am not commenting on this specific case. I'm saying that too many boats are lost on those lakes. It is really suspicious.

I doubt that is what happened with this particular boat and I beleive that it is pretty much always an accident.  But it seems that the same places in Texas keep getting huge numbers of boats going over the dam.  Why do insurers keep insuring boats in places  like that?  Maybe they charge those people more for insurance, I dunno.  

Don't get me started on federal subsidies for insurance so that rich folk can rebuild their home on the beach for the umpteenth time after another hurricane washed it away.  

17 hours ago, TallRedRider said:

I doubt that is what happened with this particular boat and I beleive that it is pretty much always an accident.  But it seems that the same places in Texas keep getting huge numbers of boats going over the dam.  Why do insurers keep insuring boats in places  like that?  Maybe they charge those people more for insurance, I  

I'm sure the insurance companies will be just fine. Lots of people like you and me that pay in each year and never use it. 

Edited by Pnwrider

My boat insurance has a clause about "named storms". If the storm that hits you has received a name during its run, the deductible is 50%, that's right 50%. I've heard of several other policies for boats/homes/rv's/etc going that route as well to keep people from not getting their property out of harm's way. Since then, I've noticed they name a lot of storms, not just hurricanes, now. Coincidence??