Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

loudest can speaker

ilovetrains

I have the illusion x with 4 speaker cans.  currently mounted are polk momo 6.5 component speakers.  they sound good, but they just don't throw very far.  The cans look like the hold a slightly larger speaker - but no idea how big.  the polks are held in with wooden retaining rings.

I don't want to spend a ton...just that guy.

Looking at 6.5 hlcd speakers - suggestions for volume on a budget?

currently looking at the Krypt 6.5 HLCD or the Kicker set.  the KickerKM6500 actuall is 4 pieces which is nice since it will fill all 4 of my cans for under 500.

Edited by ilovetrains

The Polk MOMO is a good sounding speaker near field. But it's warm speaker, great for in the boat coaming, but terrible if you expect projection. 

The loudest 6.5" HLCD is guaranteed to be the absolute nastiest sounding option. A powerful horn tweeter (HLCD) will totally dominate any and all 6.5" midbass drivers.  

Two options that will work and keep you from placing this years product in next years classifieds would be:

One, get another pair of pods for the crossbar and run the Kicker HLCD system with four 6.5" midbass and two horn tweeters. This system projects and is the only 6.5" HLCD that actually sounds good.

Two, upgrade to a larger pod and run an 8-inch speaker. Check in with MLA to be sure, but for the Kicker KM8 (mentioned above) to work, the existing pods would need to be 7.75" O.D.   

Kicker has a 6.75 HLCD system with the horn tweeters and mid-bass - that looks like it would fit my cans pretty well as the pol 6.5 are just a little small, so the 6.75 might fit the can better.  For some unknown reason, they are cheaper too.

1 hour ago, Ndawg12 said:

if they look like these then I know you can get the Kicker KM8 in them.  

801-2.jpg

no - I just remembered the name - lpa - liquid pro .... something I think.

The Kicker is a single "set" or pair of HLCD, in other words, you get 2 compression drivers and 2 mid-bass drivers just like with any other pro-axial HLCD, its just that the Kicker is done component style. So, 2 pair of 6.5 HLCDs is going to be the loudest setup as it would give you 4 compression drivers over the Kicker's 2. However, you lose in the sound quality. 

If you do have the 8" pods like Ndog posted, then I would suggest 2 pair of the real Bullet Hollow Point 7.7 over the krypt 6.5. 

Just note, the KM6500.2 is a 2 year retired model. The KMS674 is the current model

There are a couple of aluminum pods out there advertised as 8". Their OD is right at 8" but the ID is a little shy to fit the KM8 without trimming it a little. Takes a bit of time but worth it for a great sounding surf setup, especially if you have the 4 existing pods already. $450 will get you 2 pair and that includes RGB LEDs and a white and charcoal grill.

Edited by MLA

I have not measured my cans - but they have to be very close to 7 inches ID.  The Polk 6.5 speakers are are about 1/4 inch small all the way around.

Is there a 7 inch speaker system?

Mine are not the ones posted above.

not sure what the speaker size is, but Exile made the XM7 ,

1 hour ago, ilovetrains said:

I have not measured my cans - but they have to be very close to 7 inches ID.  The Polk 6.5 speakers are are about 1/4 inch small all the way around.

Is there a 7 inch speaker system?

Mine are not the ones posted above.

Ill volunteer to be the official Can size measurer if such a position exists