Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2008 Response LXI Windshield Installation

Hello All,

I have a 2008 Response LXI with 1120 hours on it. The windshield was coming loose and leaking water underneath it. I took off the drivers side over the weekend to get a better understanding of how it is attached and how it works. What I found is that it is held on with two screws and a whole bunch of double sided foam tape, most of which wasn't sticking anymore, hence my leaks and the reason for the gaps under the front of the windshield.

My question is, does anyone know of a source for the foam tape used??? I have contacted two dealers via their online contact area and haven't heard back from either, yet. I assume this isn't the first windshield to be re-installed.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Kevin

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, that isn't the right gasket/seal. I tried to post a picture, but it says I am not allowed to do that.

The seal used in my case I would describe as following:

3/4 wide by 1/8" thick foam with 1/2 inch wide double sided sticky tape on both sides of the foam. This creates adhesive to both the boat deck and the windshield frame. 

If someone can point me to directions on how to post a picture, I would gladly post a picture of the material I am looking for.

An installation kit would be perfect, just not sure how to figure out a part number for an installation kit. I did look through about everything I saw on greatlakesskipper but didn't see what I needed. Granted the pictures don't show great detail of the seal itself in a lot of cases.

Thanks again for the help!

I believe that foam tape only has adhesive on one side. I posted a question to see what they respond with on your link above. I also went to Taylor Made's website and I don't even see the double sided foam adhesive tape on their website. Hmm this is turning into a puzzle!

A few updates on my afternoon of searching. From what I can gather, the 2007 and 2008 response LXI's, and possibly other models, had a Pacific Coast Marine windshield. After these years, Malibu went to a different windshield manufacturer. I think this is why I am having trouble finding the right material and weatherstripping as the windshield wasn't out for very long. I contacted Bakes via phone who were very helpful, but also weren't very sure if what the Malibu parts system showed was actually going to be the correct thing for my application. He told me that this windshield was manufactured by Pacific Coast Marine and that Malibu later parted ways with them. Based on pictures online, I am guessing that the 2009 windshields that have the square holes in the corner posts were made by someone else. Based on all of this, I contacted Pacific Coast Marine windshields directly who were very helpful. They think they will be able to supply me with what I need, but the subject matter expert was in a meeting and is going to call me back when he can. I'll let you know what I hear back from them.

Thanks,

Kevin

Hi Guys

I have a 2007 LXI Response with the same exact issuse your having Klinger. Ive been getting no help from dealer as there all clueless so I decided I would check the forum. Im glad I found your post. Please let me know what and where you find your repair materials because this would be of very much help. The best I can see is the windshild is held down by the two screws one on each end and that upper frame brace only. Am i correct the windshild has only these two screws and one brace? I havent removed anything yet cause I like to under stand the removal and installation process first. It also appears there is a one inch angle bracket along the whole lenght of the glass and it is only held down to the hull by double sided weather stripping and the bottom of the frameless windshield is then glued to that bracket with some black RTV adhesive. Please confirm or correct me to what you found. I cant believe they secure it with basic glue and tape. 

Thanks for any help you can provide

Edited by Malibual2007

@Malibual2007, You are correct that the windshield is only held down by two screws and one brace, per half of the windshield for hardware. Other then that, it is basically double sided foam adhesive tape.

You are also correct that there is a 1" angle that runs along the length of the windshield. This angle piece is attached to the boat deck with double sided foam tape as well. The windshield itself just slides into that channel, no RTV glue anything like that. The two screws ensure that the windshield doesn't come out of the channel along the side. Basically, you slide the windshield a bit forward and towards the outside of the boat to remove it completely. How hard this is really depends on how much adhesive tape is still working along the front side of the windshield. For me, that was about 3 or 4 inches total, so really easy. Also, even the double sided adhesive foam tape that holds that channel down along the side is coming loose on about 50% of it.

Pacific Coast Marine Windshields still owes me a phone call back. If I don't hear anything by lunch time today, I will call them back again. I noticed on their website they still sell a very similar windshield to ours, so I would think that they would have the correct foam adhesive tape readily available. I'll let you know what I find out.

http://www.pcmw.ca/technology/invisilock-windshield-system/

Hey Klinger

Pacific coast marine is not getting back to me either. I spoke with Cam and sent him photos. He was super nice but gave me the same run around "that the guy to talk to is at lunch. "I havent got a call or email back in a week now. I guess were on our own. I found this product at Amazon. I havent taken mine apart yet but based on your description this may be what we need. 

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Double-Sided-Glazing-Tape/dp/B001G0XN34/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460940878&sr=8-1&keywords=crl+double+sided+tape+1%2F8+x+3%2F4+black

Edited by Malibual2007
  • 2 weeks later...

@Malibual2007,

I called PCMW yesterday and talked to Bernadette and also sent her pictures of what the foam looks like and what the rubber trip pieces look like. Hopefully they get back to me. I think I'll email her again today for an update.

On your link to the product on amazon, I think that will be the ticket for re-installing the windshield. 

Another thing to note is that in under the cornerposts, there is a thicker piece of foam. I am missing one of those. I think if all else fails I will just buy some weatherstripping foam from Home Depot or Menards to fill in that gap under the corner posts. Man it would be nice to get my windshield sealed up again!!!!!! I'll post back on here if PCMW gets back to me. I did tell her that there were others out there looking for the same materials so if they can get me what I want, hopefully they can provide what is needed to others as well.

I was able to remount windshield today. The product from Amazon was used to stick the channel pcs back to the hull and it worked VERY good for this application. Great product.  The black RTV which bonds the L bracket to the glass failed as well. I puchased "Life seal" by Boat life which is sold at boat supply stores and amazon. Be sure the used by date is still good if you need this product. I then installed the L pieces into the channel pieces after I restuck channel pieces to hull. Then I put a big bead of life seal on the outer face of the L pieces and glued the whole window to the bead of RTV. Job is way more of a challange if the L pieces need to be reglue to the glass because many points need to line up perfect including the open bow swing glass door. I will know in a few days if the life seal worked good. Im sure the weather stripping will be fine. My windshield did not have anything under that chrome corner post. It is about a 1/4" inch above the hull with no support under it. Good luck to anyone who has to do this repair. I hope my info helps. 

Edited by Malibual2007

Update:

PCMW finally got back to me. They no longer stock any of the trim or foam adhesive that was used for our windshields. They were able to find some pieces of rubber trim in 31 inch lengths which wouldn't allow for a single piece on the sides of the windshield. I think it would work for the front sections. I found all of my trim, so I didn't order any.

The foam wasn't terribly expensive to get from PCMW, however, because they are in Canada, shipping was almost 30 dollars!!! Because of that, I opted to order the foam adhesive from Amazon that Malibual2007 found, linked above. I think this will be a good substitute from the OEM stuff. I'm waiting until my stereo components to arrive so I can install the speakers when I have the windshield removed.

I'll update this again with any tips/tricks I learn about re-installing my windshield.

Thanks for the help!

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but this will be my winter project on my 07 VTX.  Any tips or tricks learned? I am think I will track existing frame with pencil prior to removal to make sure I get it back in same spot.

• 1 year later...
On 12/18/2018 at 4:21 PM, bscheper said:

I know this is an old thread but this will be my winter project on my 07 VTX.  Any tips or tricks learned? I am think I will track existing frame with pencil prior to removal to make sure I get it back in same spot.

bscheper, I also have an '07 VTX.  The corner chrome is separating where it looks as if the side glass will fall into the water if it separates any more.  Will you please let me know what was needed for your project.  I assume I need the double sided tape in the link above...anything else you can help me with?  Are the only screws the brace on the dash and the end of the side glass?  Thanks for the help

Edited by Jnorris
added question
  • 2 weeks later...

Never made it last winter.  Bought supplies above and planning for this winter.  Also discussed with dealer at boat show who has replaced many and he confirmed all screws and process above.

On 4/11/2016 at 1:38 PM, klinger said:

A few updates on my afternoon of searching. From what I can gather, the 2007 and 2008 response LXI's, and possibly other models, had a Pacific Coast Marine windshield. After these years, Malibu went to a different windshield manufacturer. I think this is why I am having trouble finding the right material and weatherstripping as the windshield wasn't out for very long. I contacted Bakes via phone who were very helpful, but also weren't very sure if what the Malibu parts system showed was actually going to be the correct thing for my application. He told me that this windshield was manufactured by Pacific Coast Marine and that Malibu later parted ways with them. Based on pictures online, I am guessing that the 2009 windshields that have the square holes in the corner posts were made by someone else. Based on all of this, I contacted Pacific Coast Marine windshields directly who were very helpful. They think they will be able to supply me with what I need, but the subject matter expert was in a meeting and is going to call me back when he can. I'll let you know what I hear back from them.

Thanks,

Kevin

Correct.. and the new style (square holes) had more bolts to both through the hull.  I switched from the 08 design to the 09 design and was surprised that the old design was just held on by tape (which like yours was failing.)  I am sure you can find some industrial double sided tape to do the job.  I think you are correct that the 09 foam tape was singlesided.. more just as a seal and cushioning. 

Anybody know where to get the rubber strip that goes along the top of the windshield?   It is different than everything I am seeing. 

I took the windshield off today. In addition to double sided tape I needed a rubber like adhesive. It is curing for 24 hours so we’ll see if the adhesive I got works. Didn’t have time to go to marine store. 

• 2 years later...

I think this is what is happening with my 2007 Malibu VTX too!  This is very helpful.  So, on the side window L channel, is that double sided tape too or is it glued?  Just trying to figure out what I need to get before I take the windshield off.