Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast pump wiring question

crayfd

I am installing another aerator drain pump and I am wondering if it is possible to connect the wires from the new pump to the existing pump so that I don't need another switch?  If I do this will it overload the wire or the fuse? 

Should be OK with aerator pumps.  Depends on how many amps the pumps draw and how big your fuses and wires are.  Look at the pumps for the amperage.  You should allow at least 30% margin (if pumps total 14 amps then circuit should cover 20 amps.  Be sure to wire in parallel (both positive pump terminals on the same wire and both negative on the same wire) - not in series.

I'm assuming both pumps are on the same bag or tank.  If not then probably not a good idea to run 2 pumps on one circuit.  One will finish before the other.

11 hours ago, Ndawg12 said:

I've done it with no issues.  An 800-1200 gpm ballast pump doesn't draw more than 4 amps so I'd check to see what size breaker they're on, 10A or higher you should be fine.

What is the best way to tie them together?  

29 minutes ago, martinarcher said:

Solder the connection, then fill heat shrink with silicone and shrink it down.  That's my favorite way for "install and forget it" marine wiring.

MA how do you solder in the boat?  I mean I'm totally down to solder stuff on the bench, but how do you keep the wires from moving around etc in the boat?

I have a holder that is two gator clips on adjustable arms with a weighted base, I put that on top of a 12x18 glass cutting board for drips.

• Like 2
martinarcher
23 hours ago, shawndoggy said:

MA how do you solder in the boat?  I mean I'm totally down to solder stuff on the bench, but how do you keep the wires from moving around etc in the boat?

Wire knot, apply heat and solder.  I guess I'ma bit confused on "holding it".  I've never been a helping hands user.  If you've got the wire terminated well it should hold itself together when soldering IMO.  In most cases solder is just the electrical connection and not the mechanical one.  If you're connecting a wire to a terminal that doesn't have a hole for example, locking forceps are really handy.  Just be very careful not to drip solder when working over carpet or a smarter solution if your not too lazy to jump back out of the boat is to find a piece of cardboard and throw it down.  The best is doing it on your back over your head under the dash. :)  Don't drip! :lol: