Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Towing with cover on?

ffdawg

Just now, Raimie said:

For those that tow with cover, are you using the HangTyte and all 3 poles?

3 poles?  Sounds like they do something different on the Axis.  My VTX has one pole near the rear and no hangtyte.  FWIW I don't tow with the pole in

I think towing with poles or a Hangtyte device is guaranteeing that that the wind will cause a rip/poke a hole in the cover. The most successful towing covers don't use them as water sheds without them when your towing.

1 hour ago, ndahlberg12 said:

I usually tow with my cover on. But the manual for the cover does specifically state not to tow over 65 with the cover. 

Technically you're not suppsed to tow over 65 period, most trailer tires are rated for a top end of 65

FYI--CS video says to remove tower strap (taps) and install poles for towing to keep the correct vacuum tension on the cover. I really hate towing with no cover and hoping this works ok for the little bit of towing I do. I've got a friend with a Baja with the same cover and he swears by it towing and mooring.

I have towed my 2014 A-24 with cover on for thousands of miles over the last few years, never had an issue with the factory cover.   The one time I did not use the cover for a short trip, I lost both cup holders from the back.   Highly recommend you tow with cover on.   I have never noticed any gel coat issues.   Factory cover cinches down nice and tight with the ratchets.  Also, use the poles it is the only way the factory cover will stay tight.   

Edited by coggwan
  • 1 month later...

I'm pissed because we are leave from the eastside - Seattle on Fri and going to Coeur d'alene.  The weather forecast is rain.  I usually tow with cover off because I don't want to scratch with gel coat where the boat cover cinches to the boat, just below the rub rail.

Stupid question, when you tow with the cover on, do you also keep the 2 stand up poles in place to keep the cover from sagging?  I have heard several different answers on this one.

Also do you use the plastic wrap just underneath the cover or do you also wrap on top of the cover on your tow?

Edited by sarasetp
On 5/11/2016 at 9:12 AM, ndahlberg12 said:

I usually tow with my cover on. But the manual for the cover does specifically state not to tow over 65 with the cover. 

Does that mean, if the wind is blowing 20 miles per hour in my face I would have to slow down to 45 Mph?

1 hour ago, sarasetp said:

I'm pissed because we are leave from the eastside - Seattle on Fri and going to Coeur d'alene.  The weather forecast is rain.  I usually tow with cover off because I don't want to scratch with gel coat where the boat cover cinches to the boat, just below the rub rail.

Stupid question, when you tow with the cover on, do you also keep the 2 stand up poles in place to keep the cover from sagging?  I have heard several different answers on this one.

Also do you use the plastic wrap just underneath the cover or do you also wrap on top of the cover on your tow?

I tow with my factory cover on and the pole up to keep the cover tight.  I did use plastic wrap when I took the boat home from the dealer (4hr trip).  The plastic left haze in the gel.  The cover has never left any marks for me.  My hull is grey and blue.