Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

In boat speaker issues.

Malibu200014

I replaced my HU and 4 in boat speakers with all new speakers,wire etc.

speakers will come on and play but I can barely hear them even at max volume.

Anyone ever had this problem? 

What did you do to fix it?

Thanks

i was at work when originally posted.

here is some more detail.

The head unit is a pioneer MVH-X380BT 

in boat speakers are a marine grade 6.5 pioneer TS MR1640

amp for in boats is directed 5 channel amp.

eveything is new along with the wires.

eq is Wetsounds 420 

I have read through the manual but can't seem to find if it has the att function but maybe I'm over looking it.

I have never had an issue before nothing sounds any different whether it is running through the eq amp or HU.

I ran the amp straight to the head unit with the same issue also by passed both eq and Amp.  Same result with only the head unit.

So you wired up all your in-boat speakers to the wire harness on the head unit and got the same result?

What are you using for your source?  Any chance you're using BT and the volume on your phone/tablet is turned down?

No I just wired one up to the head unit

Iphone 6 is my BT source.

Im going to break out the multimeter and check the ohms and voltage.

I'll try wiring all 4 to the HU and see what happens.

Battery is fully charged?  

Just have to ask, I've had some weird issues trying to wire things up when the batteries get low before.

Edited by blk93jeepzj
1 hour ago, Malibu200014 said:

No I just wired one up to the head unit

Iphone 6 is my BT source.

Im going to break out the multimeter and check the ohms and voltage.

I'll try wiring all 4 to the HU and see what happens.

And the volume on the phone is turned all the way up?

• Like 1

Quote, "I ran the amp straight to the head unit with the same issue also by passed both eq and Amp.  Same result with only the head unit."

So you eliminated a great deal of the components in the audio path. Good move. Process of elimination. With the HU running speakers directly off the HU internal power, you have three possibilities left. 1) HU. The HU has multiple sources so you can easily eliminate the phone. 2) Speakers. 3) Speaker wiring. Go through the same process of elimination until you have a functioning scenario. Run the phone directly into the amplifier. Break down the speakers and wiring into two components. One wire. One speaker at a time. Once you create a functioning combination you have discovered the culprit.  

If it's your HU, you have to keep looking for a function that is impacting the signal pass-thru such as mute or fade or source selection, etc. 

EDIT: Just saw you went straight from HU to speaker with internal HU power as a test. Eliminates the amp but I'll leave this here anyway...

Some Directed amps had ESP anti-theft security. You may have triggered it when changing wires around. Here's the manual:

http://www.directeddealers.com/manuals/og/directed_audio/34516510_Directed_Audio_D2205_Owners_Manual.pdf

Pay attention to page 14 with the status and ESP indicator chart:

Power/Protection LED                            ESP® Status                         Indicator Mode
Green                                                  Solid Red                              Normal Operation
Green                                                  Flashing                               Turn On delay or TX learn
Red                                                     Flashing                               Slowly Thermal shutdown
Red                                                     Flashing Rapidly                   Overcurrent
Red                                                     Slow Flash (50% duty cycle)  Overvoltage
Red                                                     Slow Flash (mostly off)          Under-voltage
Off                                                      Off                                       Amplifier Off
Off                                                      Flashing                               Arm/Valet received
Off                                                     Flashing Rapidly                     Amplifier in Anti-theft/Valet
On                                                     Flashing                                Amplifier armed

Edited by jk13

Well I finally figured it out!

It was a setting on the HU?

Apparenly you have to put the rear rca inputs into a rear mode in the audio settings.

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

• Like 1