Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2016 Raptor 410, 1st Oil Change

My dealer is 3.5 hrs away, so I plan on doing my first oil change myself.  Looks like they switched to a cartridge style oil filter in 2016.  I'm generally not a fan, but I will reserve judgement until I do it the first time.  Can anyone else with a 2016 confirm this?  https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=3637

I find it comical that they list the oil capacity as 8qt .. and they sell the 5w-30 in 7qt jugs.  https://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=3628

They also list a transmission oil change at the same 10-20hrs as the first oil change.  I haven't heard of anyone doing this, nor did my dealer recommend it.  Thoughts?

Edited by pauley71

hey Pauley, I have the 575 but it's essentially the same motor just supercharged and it does indeed have cartridge style filter. To be sure, look at the driver side of the motor towards the rear of the boat and on the upper half, you should see a cylinder and on top of that a cap with what is probably a 1" hex head, if you see that it is a cartridge style and obviously if you just see a regular oil filter its a spin on.

My dealership just told me to get mobil 1 15w-50 (once again supercharged motor) but said it is the same thing that indmar is packaging. Can be bought at wal mart for a lot less $$$

Another thing I asked my dealer ship was about transmission fluid and v drive fluid change. At first he did say no don't worry about it yet then he asked the service techs and they said do go ahead and change and I will be doing so. You will need an extractor to suck the oil out from the dipstick holes of trans and v drive. Here are the two oils you will need, check your owners manual to be sure of capacity but I want to say mine was 2.3 qts for transmission and 1.25 qts for v drive.

V-Drive Oil (1.25 qts): http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=3633

Transmission Oil (2.3 qts): http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=3634

Once again make sure you check your owners manual to be sure of capacities, I know you have the 1.76:1 gear ratio as opposed to my 1.5:1 ratio but don't know if that has any effect on capacity.

13 hours ago, SSinister06 said:

My dealership just told me to get mobil 1 15w-50 (once again supercharged motor) but said it is the same thing that indmar is packaging. Can be bought at wal mart for a lot less $$$

Another thing I asked my dealer ship was about transmission fluid and v drive fluid change. At first he did say no don't worry about it yet then he asked the service techs and they said do go ahead and change and I will be doing so. You will need an extractor to suck the oil out from the dipstick holes of trans and v drive. Here are the two oils you will need, check your owners manual to be sure of capacity but I want to say mine was 2.3 qts for transmission and 1.25 qts for v drive.

Hey .. so the non-supercharged model specs a 5w-30 synthetic blend and Mobil One doesn't make a blend (that I can find) so assume its not directly what indmar is packaging.  I guess I'll go full syn since its not much more.  Totally agree that Walmart is the place to buy M1.  There is a rebate right now that brings it down even further.

I hadn't noticed that there is a gearbox and a v-drive unit (separate) with separate fluids ... I have the boat but haven't spent 10 mins in it b/c of work and weather!  haha  

Based on your capacities, you have the Indmar V.  There are several models listed in the Indmar 2016 manual but it doesn't specify which model has which (not in my malibu owners manual either) so I'll have to rely on visual when I get back to the boat.

8 hours ago, pauley71 said:

Hey .. so the non-supercharged model specs a 5w-30 synthetic blend and Mobil One doesn't make a blend (that I can find) so assume its not directly what indmar is packaging.  I guess I'll go full syn since its not much more.  Totally agree that Walmart is the place to buy M1.  There is a rebate right now that brings it down even further.

I hadn't noticed that there is a gearbox and a v-drive unit (separate) with separate fluids ... I have the boat but haven't spent 10 mins in it b/c of work and weather!  haha  

Based on your capacities, you have the Indmar V.  There are several models listed in the Indmar 2016 manual but it doesn't specify which model has which (not in my malibu owners manual either) so I'll have to rely on visual when I get back to the boat.

Oh yea, I wasn't thinking about the fact that it calls for synthetic blend but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to run full synthetic.

Yea, it shows in the manual two separate dipsticks on the transmission. I didn't notice the back one either until I saw the diagram in the manual.

That page in the manual is somewhat tricky, mine doesn't state which transmission I have either, just shows those 4 different pictures. Fortunately they each have obvious differences lol

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have another question with cartridge style filter for 6.2L Raptor.  Can you prime the filter like a standard spin on?  Or do you just reinstall dry and start up engine.  With standard filters I would pre fill filter with oil.  Appears there is no way to do this with the cartridge filter?

And oil is 5w30 synthetic? What is the capacity?

Thx

Edited by Fman

I think manual calls for 8 quarts   I get less than that out each time.  Good thread below on part numbers.  I don't know if there is a way to prime the new filter.   

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
2 minutes ago, ahopkinsTXi said:

@Fman do you have an oil pump that you use to extract the old oil? Or did you let it drain into an oil pan?

I extract with oil pump.  It's much faster than gravity drain.

• 1 month later...

I just changed drained the oil in my 410 for the first time.  Using an oil extractor I first sucked as much as I could out of the dip stick hole but only got 3 quarts.  I then sucked out of the oil drain tube and didn't get much more.  I didn't have the opportunity to warm the engine but I still figured I would get more than 3.5 quarts out of it.  I checked the dip stick before I started and it was full.  Is this the result of the engine being cold or are there some other tricks that I am missing.  Also hearing about some of the horror stories about the extractor tubes getting stuck in the engine, going forward I will just ad a compression fitting that fits onto the end of the Oil drain tube. 

1 hour ago, thealy said:

I just changed drained the oil in my 410 for the first time.  Using an oil extractor I first sucked as much as I could out of the dip stick hole but only got 3 quarts.  I then sucked out of the oil drain tube and didn't get much more.  I didn't have the opportunity to warm the engine but I still figured I would get more than 3.5 quarts out of it.  I checked the dip stick before I started and it was full.  Is this the result of the engine being cold or are there some other tricks that I am missing.  Also hearing about some of the horror stories about the extractor tubes getting stuck in the engine, going forward I will just ad a compression fitting that fits onto the end of the Oil drain tube. 

Something isn't right...you should get 7-8 quarts out of the drain tube that is connected to the bottom of the oil pan.  Are you making a good connection at the tube?  And make sure and take your dipstick out of hole to allow air to enter engine while extracting.  I never had any problems doing this with engine cold.  What temp is it right now in your area?  To affix oil tube to extractor tube I use a spark plug boot which works great to create a good seal.

Fman you were correct, I didn't have a good enough seal between the extractor hose and the oil drain hose.  Tried again was able to extract all the oil.   Thanks for your advice.  

• Like 2
  • 7 months later...

Hey guys. I followed @Fman instructions above and took some pictures as well. I will say this may be the easiest oil change I've ever done.

y4mrNhXiarKxvCOnQJhp1WSDHNGkzDCqHy0zn5Pa

I used a pretty standard fluid pump you can get for $75-$100 at any auto parts store.

y4mjYrKjjtK1k6UGAmPDGOBcWMuw_dSDurlirj-F

I ran the drain hose from the motor out of the starboard rear storage by just popping out the storage bin.

y4m53PIlMZeE--VI6kLImu0Zpc56QIHs1OyungHd

I used a spark plug boot I bought from Napa. The plastic hose from the fluid pump fit perfectly into the bottom of the boot and I used a zip tie to secure the larger end of the boot to the engines drain hose.

I opened the oil fill cap on the top of the motor (I don't remove it to prevent something from falling in there). I also pull the dipstick up just a bit to break the seal there too. I have found this helps suck the oil out.

From here I just cracked a beer and started pumping. I got just over 8 qts out. I didn't warm up the engine first. The boat had been sitting for a couple days since it's last use.

y4m74z0YzCQdwB4ub_RzVhEwdlyzpA9pVQ4sdZIN

The canister style filter is a dream to change. I brought a couple plastic grocery bags in with me so I could pull the filter and drop it straight into the bags. It was really easy.

I bought the Mobil 1 5w-30 at Walmart and purchased the Indmar Oil Filter from Bakes (Indmar 501022 Oil Filter Cartridge for 6.2L Ford Engines)

1 hour ago, CharlieBeaU said:

Hey guys. I followed @Fman instructions above and took some pictures as well. I will say this may be the easiest oil change I've ever done.

y4mrNhXiarKxvCOnQJhp1WSDHNGkzDCqHy0zn5Pa

I used a pretty standard fluid pump you can get for $75-$100 at any auto parts store.

y4mjYrKjjtK1k6UGAmPDGOBcWMuw_dSDurlirj-F

I ran the drain hose from the motor out of the starboard rear storage by just popping out the storage bin.

y4m53PIlMZeE--VI6kLImu0Zpc56QIHs1OyungHd

I used a spark plug boot I bought from Napa. The plastic hose from the fluid pump fit perfectly into the bottom of the boot and I used a zip tie to secure the larger end of the boot to the engines drain hose.

I opened the oil fill cap on the top of the motor (I don't remove it to prevent something from falling in there). I also pull the dipstick up just a bit to break the seal there too. I have found this helps suck the oil out.

From here I just cracked a beer and started pumping. I got just over 8 qts out. I didn't warm up the engine first. The boat had been sitting for a couple days since it's last use.

y4m74z0YzCQdwB4ub_RzVhEwdlyzpA9pVQ4sdZIN

The canister style filter is a dream to change. I brought a couple plastic grocery bags in with me so I could pull the filter and drop it straight into the bags. It was really easy.

I bought the Mobil 1 5w-30 at Walmart and purchased the Indmar Oil Filter from Bakes (Indmar 501022 Oil Filter Cartridge for 6.2L Ford Engines)

I use the same fluid extractor and found the 8 quarts will top it out. Problem I had was I tried pumping up pressure more after it was almost full and oil must have got into the handle where it breathes. It then started coming out the top of the extractor. Made a mess but I think I got it all purged back out of the handle again.

16 hours ago, dalt1 said:

I use the same fluid extractor and found the 8 quarts will top it out. Problem I had was I tried pumping up pressure more after it was almost full and oil must have got into the handle where it breathes. It then started coming out the top of the extractor. Made a mess but I think I got it all purged back out of the handle again.

Good call. I forgot to mention I stopped about half way, depressurized the pump with the little pressure relief button, emptied the canister and then finished off extracting the rest of the oil.