Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

New trailer options for '93 skier

MountainRob

I'm going to need to replace the trailer for my 1993 Malibu Skier. I have one custom boat trailer shop a couple of hours away, but can't get a response from them. What are my options for new trailers? I don't need anything fancy; bare bones.

I'm near North Lake Tahoe/Reno, NV.

Thanks for any input,

Rob

Not sure on your budget, but I would say you have a couple options.  One would be to search something like Craigslist in areas like Tablerock and Lake of the Ozarks where there are a lot of boat owners who store year round on a lift and often sell their trailers.

If you are going new, I would check out www.baldmikes.com.  I have never bought a trailer from him, but I have bought a lot of other smaller items.  He has given me great service, and I know he has great reviews on the trailer sales that I have seen.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, MountainRob said:

I'm going to need to replace the trailer for my 1993 Malibu Skier. I have one custom boat trailer shop a couple of hours away, but can't get a response from them. What are my options for new trailers? I don't need anything fancy; bare bones.

I'm near North Lake Tahoe/Reno, NV.

Thanks for any input,

Rob

Call CTW (unless they're the guys who aren't responding):

https://www.caltrailerworks.com/

I've had the best luck calling them in the mornings since a small shop can get busy the longer the day goes on. They have been building trailers for Malibu boats for a number of years and might have a template to make one from. They built the trailer under my '15 23 LSV and the build quality is superb. I was able to have them change out some parts that differed from my understanding of the build and what was delivered (winch and stand) with no hassle; I also used that time to get a tour of their shop and see how trailers are manufactured.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RyanB said:

Not sure on your budget, but I would say you have a couple options.  One would be to search something like Craigslist in areas like Tablerock and Lake of the Ozarks where there are a lot of boat owners who store year round on a lift and often sell their trailers.

If you are going new, I would check out www.baldmikes.com.  I have never bought a trailer from him, but I have bought a lot of other smaller items.  He has given me great service, and I know he has great reviews on the trailer sales that I have seen.

Thanks Ryan. I'm not sure if shipping would be cost-effective, but I will contact him. Thanks for the tip!

1 hour ago, oldjeep said:

If you are looking for cheap, most of the basic trailer MFG make universal inboard trailers. 

Something like this

https://www.shorelandr.com/pages/t_specs.aspx?type=boat&productID=4517

Thanks for the link! I would certainly consider something like that if it would work, but there are no dealers anywhere near me. I'll keep them in mind, though.

1 hour ago, mikeo said:

Call CTW (unless they're the guys who aren't responding):

https://www.caltrailerworks.com/

I've had the best luck calling them in the mornings since a small shop can get busy the longer the day goes on. They have been building trailers for Malibu boats for a number of years and might have a template to make one from. They built the trailer under my '15 23 LSV and the build quality is superb. I was able to have them change out some parts that differed from my understanding of the build and what was delivered (winch and stand) with no hassle; I also used that time to get a tour of their shop and see how trailers are manufactured.

Thanks Mike. Yes, CTW is who I have been trying to contact. I've seen their trailers around, and they are within reasonable driving distance. I'll keep trying them. I know that they are a small shop.

Edited by MountainRob

just find out what brands are available locally and start there if you are not looking for a custom trailer.  Most of the common trailer brands have an inboard model.  ez loader , yacht club, etc

5 minutes ago, oldjeep said:

just find out what brands are available locally and start there if you are not looking for a custom trailer.  Most of the common trailer brands have an inboard model.  ez loader , yacht club, etc

That's my main issue. Nobody anywhere near me is a dealer for any trailers. I have one marine supply place locally that is decent, and they are keeping their eye out for me for something used... I live in the mountains in a vacation area.