Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

A22 ballast pump replacement

40oz

Ballast pump for the front sack (the one thats hard to get to) quit working. Should I replace with OEM (if so anyone have a part #) or should I go back with something better?

Have you already confirmed the pump is not obstructed with debris?

It is most likely a Shurflo Piranha 1100 on 2012+.  You can also opt for the cartridge only if the motor failed.  Bakes, Wakemakers, and several other places have them.  

I had one fail the first year I had my T22 - I didn't find anything better so I just used the OEM warranty replacement.  They're all cheaply made.

Edited by gsuge

Yea its the pump. It is not trying to come on and will trip a fuse if you try for too long.

I am not sure of the brand, but they are blue and white and relativly small pumps.

28 minutes ago, 40oz said:

Yea its the pump. It is not trying to come on and will trip a fuse if you try for too long.

I am not sure of the brand, but they are blue and white and relativly small pumps.

Sometimes one or two of mine will do this after winter.  If I pull the cartridge out and spin the impeller by hand that will usually free it up.  Before putting in back in the housing flip the switch to see if it will run on its own.  Sometimes this works, sometimes the pump picks up a whine and it's time for a new one.    

I had an impeller spinning on itself.  I'd hear the pump run, but no water would fill the tank.  Luckily they are an inexpensive fix and fairly easy to do.  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I would replace the guts if you can. We live on a lake with a lot of weeds and I've cleaned mine out a ton, it's not hard to get the guts out, so I imagine replacing wouldn't be hard.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an '15 A20. The middle tank 6 amp fuse is popped / won't reset, so I assume I have a bad or clogged pump. I understand this is located in the floor access to the left of the driver seat. Does anyone have any pictures of where exactly this is located? It's a small dark area, difficult to see in there!  Is there a trick to find this?  

58 minutes ago, MNAxisA20 said:

I have an '15 A20. The middle tank 6 amp fuse is popped / won't reset, so I assume I have a bad or clogged pump. I understand this is located in the floor access to the left of the driver seat. Does anyone have any pictures of where exactly this is located? It's a small dark area, difficult to see in there!  Is there a trick to find 

If its like my old a22 its just laying on the bottom.  Not fun to work in there but there is usually a little extra hose to help.