Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Axis A22 330 - engine misfire

Went out yesterday. Boat cranked and ran great. Then filled the bags and pulled some boards. Getting on a plane took longer than normal. It also felt like the boat had hesitation. When it was my turn to ride, I could hear the boat while being pulled audibly running rough. 

Would this more commonly be fuel related or spark?  

fuel pump, fuel filters? I had an issue a few years back but it as very clear that it was fuel related. Ended up replacing the fuel filters and pump. Problem solved. 

I feel like this might get a little more traction if you posted in the maintenance and troubleshooting portal. I know it's an Axis but same engine, so I think it works. My initial thought is I would triage any easy maintenance item (fuel filter, spark plugs, clean air intake, distributor cap - not sure it has one, etc.). Is it possible you have water in your gas tank? I'm sure you have thought of this, but trying to get this thread going a bit! 

Possible for gas in the tank. The boat was parked for a few months....which I have never done before. I am wondering should I run Seafoam or injector cleaner or just siphon all the gas out? Not really sure the best plan of attack at this point. 

The fuel pump has socks on the bottom that can be changed, not sure if it has an inline fuel filter. 

• 3 weeks later...

If it has a dead miss (one cylinder) you can pull the plugs and look for the one that looks different. 

It's always difficult to determine if its fuel or spark related.  As a guess, since it hasn't been running for a while, I would say fuel related.  But not necessarily the fuel, could be a stuck injector.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This is why I run non ethanol, it tends not to gum up the works when it sits, especially in my old outboard, the inboard I start all winter but ethanol don't sit well

Do the boats in your area use fuel/water separator filters? This time of year I need to change mine bcause of condensation in the system.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/6/2016 at 6:49 AM, 40oz said:

Possible for gas in the tank. The boat was parked for a few months....which I have never done before. I am wondering should I run Seafoam or injector cleaner or just siphon all the gas out? Not really sure the best plan of attack at this point. 

The fuel pump has socks on the bottom that can be changed, not sure if it has an inline fuel filter. 

Bad gas most likely 

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to follow up, sorry it took so long. 

It was bad gas. I always use Marine 100% gas, however I think since the station closest to the house changed ownership, the gas must not be 100%. 

I since changed to the station by the ramp. I syphoned all the old gas out, I also did plugs. Ran good as new.