Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ecoboost Owners

mrnate450r

10 minutes ago, Bozboat said:

Dude, you must be the happiest being out there having got everything figured out, fast and cheap. Not all of us "Pathetic Wimps" use those measurement sticks. It is posts like yours that make me wonder why I bothered to log on today.  

Time and money.  What other measurement stick do you need?  It takes less time and a lot less money to DIY.  Don't forget, it takes time (usually when it is not the best time for you) to get a vehicle into a shop, wait for the service (or come back when completed), deal with the shop folks, pay the bill, etc.  Most basic maintenance items take less actual time spent just DIY.  So if it takes less time and costs significantly less, what is this measuring stick you are using?  Rubber gloves & mechanics gloves are cheap so your pristine manicured hands will still look great. 

Just now, Ronnie said:

. Nitrous seems to take it as an offense if someone doesn't react to or do something exactly the way he thinks it should be done. You spend $.10 more than he did and you're nuts! He's even berating someone for bringing up an old thread this morning. Ignore him and be free! I wish I could...

Offense?   Not in the least.  $0.10, quite the exaggeration.  Berating someone for bringing up an old thread?  False:

be·rate

bəˈrāt/1. 

verb:  scold or criticize (someone) angrily.

Thread in question:

"Not sure why you brought up a thread that is nearly 4 years old for this question"
1.  This is a statement not understanding why the thread, that was regarding a head unit vs an EQ which is nearly 4 years old, was brought from the dead for a question regarding the mounting of a head unit under the arm rest.  Not sure where I scolded or criticized this individual
2.  I gave my generally agreed upon opinion that under the armrest is an awful place for the head unit
3.  Provided an alternative with pictures

To state that I berated this individual isn't true.   

Lol, NB - I usually refrain from chiming in on these things, but what the heck, I'm feeling frisky today.   

I paid to have plugs done on my EB.   Call me an idiot.  I know it costs a little more, but my truck was already at the dealer for an oil change (which they charge under $40 for including oil/filter, rotate tires, top off fluids, etc.).  The oil change I feel is a great value - no trip to the parts store to me, no oil to dispose of after I'm done, dealer is 2 miles from my house so really no time lost, etc., etc.   Same on the plugs - when I dropped it off for oil, I mentioned it had a miss under load.  They diagnosed it to be plugs, which I wasn't thinking of since it had about 50,000 miles on it at the time.   They then knocked out the plugs while they had it - again, no time spent by me diagnosing the plugs, no trip to the store to buy plugs, and no time in my garage spend doing them.   

While the truck was at the dealer I likely spent some time doing other projects around the house or playing with my kids, which I've done a lot of lately.    

To each their own man - I think everyone is fine with your opinions and see merit in the DIY route you take, buying used boats, etc.  But, do you really need to chastise everyone else for the way we may do things?

1 hour ago, hethj7 said:

Lol, NB - I usually refrain from chiming in on these things, but what the heck, I'm feeling frisky today.   

I paid to have plugs done on my EB.   Call me an idiot.  I know it costs a little more, but my truck was already at the dealer for an oil change (which they charge under $40 for including oil/filter, rotate tires, top off fluids, etc.).  The oil change I feel is a great value - no trip to the parts store to me, no oil to dispose of after I'm done, dealer is 2 miles from my house so really no time lost, etc., etc.   Same on the plugs - when I dropped it off for oil, I mentioned it had a miss under load.  They diagnosed it to be plugs, which I wasn't thinking of since it had about 50,000 miles on it at the time.   They then knocked out the plugs while they had it - again, no time spent by me diagnosing the plugs, no trip to the store to buy plugs, and no time in my garage spend doing them.   

While the truck was at the dealer I likely spent some time doing other projects around the house or playing with my kids, which I've done a lot of lately.    

To each their own man - I think everyone is fine with your opinions and see merit in the DIY route you take, buying used boats, etc.  But, do you really need to chastise everyone else for the way we may do things?

$50/hr job (little over 100k/year) = $35 hour after taxes.  By the time you pay retail markup on plugs and shop labor, have to work 4 hours to pay for the extra cost of something that can be DIY in an hour or so.  Just an example of real world costs.  Hell, I've done $700 dealer service on my wife's Audi in an hour for under $100.  I buy oil, filters, plugs, etc. on Amazon or OEM online parts dealers.  Cheaper than auto parts store, can order them any time on my down time, shows up to my front door.  My daughter has spent a number of hours with me working on car/boat projects, handing me tools - teach her something with a little family time.

In the end, I only made this comment because folks were acting like it was some sort of travesty that a turbo motor doesn't have a 100k plug interval, due to time and mainly cost.  Not everything makes sense to DIY, either due to skillset needed, time needed to do it or need of assistance of others (I will never, ever stain concrete myself again, I won't do drywall myself, do body work, etc.).  I think a lot of people underestimate what they can do themselves and just pay people to do everything for them. 

Valid points on ordering parts online. And I do my fair share of wrenching and do include the kids often as teaching moments with more to come as they grow (I have 3 and the oldest is 6).  It isn't always about just the $ though and perhaps the name calling is all in jest and doesn't come through in forums well, but comments about pristine manicured hands come across with a poor tone in a lot of these threads. Or should I say, many of us receive those comments that way, even if intent is not there on your part.  

5 hours ago, Ronnie said:

Bozboat, I'm sure you already know this but you can "Ignore" a user and Never see a post from them again. Nitrous seems to take it as an offense if someone doesn't react to or do something exactly the way he thinks it should be done. You spend $.10 more than he did and you're nuts! He's even berating someone for bringing up an old thread this morning. Ignore him and be free! I wish I could...

Awesome, thank you for the tip.

NB has been Ignored, for good. 

Boz.

6 hours ago, Ronnie said:

you can "Ignore" a user and Never see a post from them again.

This is almost true, I see people's posts in my ignore list, if they are quoted by someone else.

• 1 month later...

2017 F150 10-Speed 3.5 Eco 3.55 gears continues to be the strongest towing 1/2ton.  Leaves a little work to be done with downhill engine braking... but otherwise very very strong performance.

I'm so confused on what I will end up with....the half ton market has a lot of great trucks out right now.  I really like the F150 eco just question the longevity and reliability of the engine and 10 speed trans.

Although the Eco is reworked this year, I think in general they have proven to be a reliable engine.  The tranny is a question mark, but with joint development by GM and Ford I would think it would prove to be reliable as well.  For peace of mind, buy when they are running the 5 year power train warranty promo just in case (if it isn't standard now). 

I towed my new boat for the first time with my new ecoboost F150 on Friday. Roughly 400 miles up 75 through Tennessee, Kentucky and Ohio. Towed great, much smoother than my previous 5.0 F150. Mpg was worse but I do average 75mph so it's a trade off. Stayed in 6th at 2k rpms majority of the time, kicked down to 5th at 23-2400rpms on most large hills and down to 4th at 2500 rpms on only a couple hills. 

AFAIK standard warranty is 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 poweretrain. However our local dealer includes a lifetime power train warranty good nationwide with all new vehicle purchases. I'm not one to keep cars until the wheels fall off but I just may with this one. 

• Like 1